Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) - Sub-Mod for SS6.4

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary (Setting Next Heir) - [Released] Mod for 6.2 and 6.3

Quote Originally Posted by Historydude View Post
    Make sure before you edit something and release it, you run it by the creator and that he fully understands and consents on it.
    That's what I'm doing right now
    Here's the full code for anyone who's interested, though, and so he knows 100% what edits I've done:
    Code:
    [setup]
    name = Next Heir Crown
    campaign = early,late
    group = ancillary
    [description]
    Lets you choose who'll be the next heir (second in line) by giving him the Heir Crown.
    [files]
    data\export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data\text\export_ancillaries.txt

;------------------------------------------ ;UN-EDITED
    Ancillary heir_crown 
    Type inherit
    Transferable  1
    Image tokus_kingmaker.tga
    Description heir_crown_desc
    EffectsDescription heir_crown_effects_desc
    Effect Loyalty 2 
    Effect Authority 8 
    Effect LocalPopularity 2 
    Effect TroopMorale  1 

;------------------------------------------ ;EDITED
    Trigger heir_crown 
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition IsFactionHeir
    and FactionIsLocal
    and not FactionwideAncillaryExists heir_crown 

AcquireAncillary heir_crown chance 100

{heir_crown}    Heir Crown
    {heir_crown_desc}    This crown is passed to the next faction heir, who will inherit the throne after the current heir's death.
    {heir_crown_effects_desc}    +2 Loyalty, +8 Authority, +2 Local Popularity, +1 Troop Morale

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary (Setting Next Heir) - [Released] Mod for 6.2 and 6.3

Makes sense. Thanks, Historydude.

Amaranth's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That's what I'm doing right now
    Here's the full code for anyone who's interested, though, and so he knows 100% what edits I've done:
    Code:
    [setup]
    name = Next Heir Crown
    campaign = early,late
    group = ancillary
    [description]
    Lets you choose who'll be the next heir (second in line) by giving him the Heir Crown.
    [files]
    data\export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data\text\export_ancillaries.txt

;------------------------------------------ ;UN-EDITED
    Ancillary heir_crown 
    Type inherit
    Transferable  1
    Image tokus_kingmaker.tga
    Description heir_crown_desc
    EffectsDescription heir_crown_effects_desc
    Effect Loyalty 2 
    Effect Authority 8 
    Effect LocalPopularity 2 
    Effect TroopMorale  1 

Trigger heir_crown 
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition IsFactionHeir
    and FactionIsLocal
    and not FactionwideAncillaryExists heir_crown 

AcquireAncillary heir_crown chance 100

{heir_crown}    Heir Crown
    {heir_crown_desc}    This crown is passed to the next faction heir, who will inherit the throne after the current heir's death.
    {heir_crown_effects_desc}    +2 Loyalty, +8 Authority, +2 Local Popularity, +1 Troop Morale
    If you test this and it works, you have my permission to add it to the compilation. Please let me know the result so that I can apply them on my files as well (I can't test it right now as I'm in a hotel room and I don't have my computer--one that has the game installed--with me).
    Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) Sub-Mod for Stainless Steel & Third Age Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    If you test this and it works, you have my permission to add it to the compilation. Please let me know the result so that I can apply them on my files as well (I can't test it right now as I'm in a hotel room and I don't have my computer--one that has the game installed--with me).
    It works, I've tested it.
    Adding it to the Compilation, then.

It works, I've tested it.
    Adding it to the Compilation, then.
    Sure, but one thing though in the description you edited it says the Crown is passed to next heir after the Current Heir's death. It doesn't work that way, it selects the next heir correctly only if Faction Leader dies before the current heir. I especially warn people about that, see my first post in this thread. So that's misleading, you should edit that part.
    Last edited by Amaranth; August 22, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Good point Amaranth. There might be a way to fix that. What if there were a second heir ancillary that added fewer points of authority (say...5?)? If you gave the "Heir" ancillary to one family member and the "Next in line after the heir" ancillary to...err...the next in line, wouldn't that work if the first heir died? Or does it just choose randomly if the first heir dies?

Also, will this work with the Live Long and Prosper mod? If so, that would mean you could give the heir ancillary to the character as young as 4 or 5, which would help in the case of a faction leader dying when his kid is 13.

Even if the answer to both of the above is no, I'm still psyched. Thanks to both Amaranth (for this) and Meneth (for the compilation).

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Bard, you've been confused. Say the anc is given to some random dude. When the current heir dies, it goes to him. Say the anc goes to the proper family member next in line. When the heir dies or becomes FL, the one with the anc is chosen.

This is what Amaranth posted:

"If the current FH dies before becoming FL, this system somehow fails, and game engine selects an heir in it's own way, no matter who gets the Ancillary. I'm not sure why, but in my tests I came to that conclusion. If Current FH dies before "pre-selected" character becomes the New Heir, FH jumps to another character."

I read this as meaning that if the heir dies first (ancillary or no) before he becomes faction leader, then the game uses some other non-authority-based system to choose a new heir. Correct me if I'm wrong, Amaranth.

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
    This is what Amaranth posted:

"If the current FH dies before becoming FL, this system somehow fails, and game engine selects an heir in it's own way, no matter who gets the Ancillary. I'm not sure why, but in my tests I came to that conclusion. If Current FH dies before "pre-selected" character becomes the New Heir, FH jumps to another character."

I read this as meaning that if the heir dies first (ancillary or no) before he becomes faction leader, then the game uses some other non-authority-based system to choose a new heir. Correct me if I'm wrong, Amaranth.
    Oh. I missed that. Hmm. I would like Amaranth's word on this, also if that is only if the FH is carrying the anc himself.

I thought (optimistically) that perhaps he meant literally "the CURRENT heir," as in the heir you start with when the game starts. I have a feeling that may just be wishful thinking, though.

Sure, but one thing though in the description you edited it says the Crown is passed to next heir after the Current Heir's death. It doesn't work that way, it selects the next heir correctly only if Faction Leader dies before the current heir. I especially warn people about that, see my first post in this thread. So that's misleading, you should edit that part.
    I'll add it to the description in the Compilation thread, and to the sub-mod description next release.

@Meneth
    Ok, lt's very important cause otherwise it won't work correctly. You can include a link to my first post for instructions.

@Meneth
    Ok, lt's very important cause otherwise it won't work correctly. You can include a link to my first post for instructions.
    There's already a link to it and your profile down on the bottom of the Compilation thread.

There's already a link to it and your profile down on the bottom of the Compilation thread.
    Alright, thank you.

Amaranth, if that happens (the FH dying first), does that break the ancillary for good? Or will it work again for the next heir, assuming the FH doesn't die first again?

Amaranth, if that happens (the FH dying first), does that break the ancillary for good? Or will it work again for the next heir, assuming the FH doesn't die first again?
    I don't think it will break it for good, but someone will be selected as your FH for some time. It should work just as the same once you gave the ancillary to another, and FL dies. Even it's not completely understood yet, when Current FH dies before FL, game seems to choose the new Heir by another basis than Authority rating, or just does it randomly. That's the only limitation of this trick, you can see some more detailed post about this here.

Thanks again, Amaranth. It seems like that discussion pointed toward very high chivalry overriding authority (sometimes) when the FH dies, thusly ignoring the heir ancillary. Gracul seems to think it's more complicated than that, though, based on amount of authority AND level (generation) in the family tree.

Interesting. I'm not convinced there isn't a workaround, but it does seem like it's pretty crucial to make sure your FL dies first whenever possible if you want to always control the heir. Otherwise, if the FH has a son, it sounds like that son (if of age) will be the new "random" heir chosen.

Thanks again, Amaranth. It seems like that discussion pointed toward very high chivalry overriding authority (sometimes) when the FH dies, thusly ignoring the heir ancillary. Gracul seems to think it's more complicated than that, though, based on amount of authority AND level (generation) in the family tree.

Interesting. I'm not convinced there isn't a workaround, but it does seem like it's pretty crucial to make sure your FL dies first whenever possible if you want to always control the heir. Otherwise, if the FH has a son, it sounds like that son (if of age) will be the new "random" heir chosen.
    You're welcome. And yes there can be workarounds for this, before I release this mod I seached the forums about too many topics related to heir selection, and in many old dated post people were convinced it's not possible influence heir selection in any way, but here we are. So as the mod improves along with our modding knowledge, we can possibly find a solution for that as well. But I think the mod is fair, protecting your FH is very important as it should be if you think about it. So it's best not to put your Heir in danger unless necessary, to ensure your throne stays true to the Royal bloodline. Unless some other family member might want to take advantage from the loss of the heir and claim the crown for himself

this should be neat

Appreciate letting me know when to download the update. I do not need to incorporate the heir mod into the KoJ mod after the update?