Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) - Sub-Mod for SS6.4

Amaranth's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon3 Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) - Sub-Mod for SS6.4

Next Heir Ancillary (Setting Next Heir) Sub-Mod

(SS 6.2, 6.3, 6.4)

Hello,

Firstly this is actually started elsewhere but will continue from here, since it's working I thought I could start a new topic. To read the full discussion please proceed to this link (And thanks to everyone who helped me in that thread).

I adapted an (orb) ancillary made by Sensei Kiisu to SS though It's not exactly same like his work the result is similar.

To sum up: This mod ensures your Royal Bloodline Succession continues as it should. Your Crown will always go to Father to Son (Or anyone else you see fit for your throne). When you start a new campaing it gives your Faction Heir an Ancillary (Orb) which you can transfer to other family members, anyone you want to be your Next Heir, when your current Faction Leader dies. You can't change the current Heir, but you can select who is going be the Next one. So no longer you'll have see your crown goes to a distant relative or an adopted son instead of your Royal family members. Basicly you can select who will be your Next Heir, and then the next one and the next one!

Anyway here it is:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Started a family like this, the Faction Heir starts with an Ancillary called "Heir Crown". You can transfer this anyone you like. Now I expanded the family tree by getting some adopted sons and waiting for King's 2nd Biological son come to age. Rest of the comments are on the pictures below (I have no idea why I did guess I thought would be easier but couldn't think that the texts will be smaller, but I think they're fair enough, Sorry about that :whistling).

I mentioned how the 2nd son always becomes heir in another thread, one I gave it's link on the top of this thread.

These are my results, I have tested it many times and it works.

Adding NHA manually:

There are two files that need to be edited. "export_descr_ancillaries.txt and export_ancillaries.txt". Open these files on your game folder and apply the following changes.

First you need locate and open "export_descr_ancillaries.txt"file (default path should be Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3\data). Once you open it just C/P the following lines in the ancillaries list in that file:

;------------------------------------------
    Ancillary heir_crown
    Type inherit
    Transferable 1
    Image tokus_kingmaker.tga
    Description heir_crown_desc
    EffectsDescription heir_crown_effects_desc
    Effect Loyalty 2
    Effect Authority 8
    Effect LocalPopularity 2
    Effect TroopMorale 1

OK, now Hit Ctrl+F inside the same text file and enter "Triggers" you'll reach the triggers area, just C/P the following part to the triggers section:

Trigger heir_crown
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
    Condition IsFactionHeir
    and FactionIsLocal
    and not FactionwideAncillaryExists heir_crown

AcquireAncillary heir_crown chance 100

These all all that you need to copy from this file.
    Now one last fileleft to edit.Locateand open"export_ancillaries.txt" file (Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3\data\text) and add the following lines there:

{heir_crown} Heir Crown
    {heir_crown_desc} This crown is passed to the next faction heir, who will inherit the throne of your Kingdom following the death of the Faction Leader.
    {heir_crown_effects_desc} +2 Loyalty, +8 Authority, +2 Local Popularity, +1 Troop Morale

And that's it from this one. If all of the files edited correctly, NHA should work just fine. Happy testing! :)

Instructions for 6.4 Setup Compatible:

First download Next_Heir_Mod_For_SS6.4_SS_Setup_Compatible.rar and copy it's contents to your Stainless Steel mod directory (Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3) then run SS_setup.exe: (in same directory)

There will be an option to install NHA. Select it and then click OK when you're done and start the game.

Credits:
    I especially like to thank Alpha Zeke for beta-testing the mod.
    Also thanks to bane_tw for answering my questions and directing me to the Third Age forum.
    Thanks to konny for making the tutorial about heir selection system. And thanks for Meneth for his suggestions. Finally thanks to everyone else who helped me through releasing this mod.

Notes:

IMPORTANT:
    This will only work if the FL dies before the current FH.
    If the current FH dies before becoming FL, this system somehow fails, and game engine selects an heir in it's own way, no matter who gets the Ancillary. I'm not sure why, but in my tests I came to that conclusion. If Current FH dies before "pre-selected" character becomes the New Heir, FH jumps to another character. See more details about this here. Also due to the limitations in game mechanics, NHA does not %100 guarantee to work everytime. It should work just fine in most cases but there's always a rare possibility that the game might ignore the effects of NHA and automaticly selects another family member as next faction heir. See this post for an example of one such cases.

Also you must start a new campaign after you install NHA. It won't work with your old saved games.

There are three versions: Please install the version that is compatible with your SS version. (Example: If you're using Stainless Steel patch 6.3 then istall "Heir Crown 6.3" and vice versa. This is very important as installing files into wrong versions won't work and will cause issues. Please take back up of your files before replacing them. There's a README.txt included which instructs you how to install. Just copy the files to their correct paths and it's all done. Please don't hesitate to ask if you'll have any questions. 6.4 version will be added to your SS_Setup.exe when installed. After installation, run SS_Setup again and click NHA mod to install it.

If you have any questions or encounter any problems with your installation or NHA in general, feel free to post it in this thread.
    NOTE: When you're posting a question related to your Family Tree in your campaign, please provide a screenshot of it if you can. This will make it easier to understand the source of your problem. Thank you.

How to Transfer Ancillaries [Tutorial]:
    There are a lot people asking about how to transfer ancillaries so I'm posting a tiny tutorial here:

First thing you need to do is merging the family members (or generals) you want to transfer ancillaries between, in the same army on the Campaign Map and make sure that whomever is going to receive the ancillary does not already have max number of ancillaries (limited to 8) otherwise transfer will not succeed. Once characters are in the same army right click on the portrait of the character you wish to transfer ancillary from and locate it on it's character information scroll. Then click and hold the ancillary, drag it and drop on the portrait of the other character, just like moving a document inside a folder. If it's successful, a notice message will appear, informing you that the character's Retinue has expanded.

Step One:

Step Two:

Step Three:

For using this mod: If other modders wants to use this for their own mods, they can do that as long as they give credit to the original work (a link to this thread), so people who just want to be able to choose their Faction Heir themselves can use this without being have to change their game experience with any other alteration. Just send me a PM to contact me about it.

UPDATE LOG:
    Trigger fixed: "Heir Crown" Ancillary no longer disappears after the character holding it dies. It spawns from Current FH in the next turn. Regardless of the Faction or Era.
    26.08.10: Triggers are fixed and shortened, mod is no longer depend on descr_strat.txt file. (Thanks Meneth for his help about that). Just replace the older descr_strat file with your back-up file, or re-run ss_setup.exe again, it should replace it to original.
    22.03.11: NHA is now fully compatible with SS 6.4 setup, install it in your directory and run SS setup (Thanks to bane_tw for his his help). Not compatible with MSC.
    24.04.15: Re-uploaded the download files. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Amaranth; April 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Update

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary

TGC mod would like to see this feature in order to justify civil wars or make sure that the right historical persons will become the next emperors.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

strife1013's Avatar Campidoctor

Lets hope this gets added in the 6.1a patch :-) plus Rep! What happens to the ancillary once that person gets the crown?

Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    Lets hope this gets added in the 6.1a patch :-) plus Rep! What happens to the ancillary once that person gets the crown?
    When selected person becomes the New Heir, he keeps it. So you can transfer to it to the Next Heir. Because the next heir, must always have the highest Authority than others in Family Tree (except FL and FH) so he can be selected as the New Heir when FL dies.
    Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) Sub-Mod for Stainless Steel & Third Age Total War

Dschar's Avatar Foederatus

Nice one mate!
    would rep if i allready could.
    a question though. Where do i have to put these lines?

Marcvs Antonivs's Avatar Senator

Very nice one! I hope someone can create a file so it's usable to anyone. Where should we put those lines? so I can test it in early campaigns 6.1?
    Cassius: "Our men at arms have secured the city. We've received representatives from all the best elements. The senate is with us, the knights are with us."
    Brutus:"The pontifs, the urban cohorts, the lictors guild..."
    Antony: "Oh, the lictors guild, very good. Only rally the bakers and the flute players and you can put on a festival."

Quote Originally Posted by Dschar View Post
    Nice one mate!
    would rep if i allready could.
    a question though. Where do i have to put these lines?
    I'll make some adjustments so that it will work with both Early and Late campaigns, and with other factions. Then I'll update my post.
    Last edited by Amaranth; August 17, 2010 at 07:36 PM.

Agreed, nice work, though I suggest you try this crown with different character ages too, as it's also known to have an effect on determining the next heir.
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Prince View Post
    Agreed, nice work, though I suggest you try this crown with different character ages too, as it's also known to have an effect on determining the next heir.
    +rep
    Thanks, like I said I'll continue to testing. Meanwhile I'm working adjusting this for usable by all factions and both late and early era. This one here is for England / Late Era only.

This would be awesome for the HRE when historical the crown jumped between families since they had to be elected by the nobles before being crowned King of Germany.
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Thanks, like I said I'll continue to testing. Meanwhile I'm working adjusting this for usable by all factions and both late and early era. This one here is for England / Late Era only.
    Replacing "and FactionType england" with "and FactionIsLocal" should make it work for all factions in both eras.
    Personally, I'd script it like this:
    Code:
    Trigger heir_crown 
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsFactionLeader
    and FactionIsLocal

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Replacing "and FactionType england" with "and FactionIsLocal" should make it work for all factions in both eras.[/code]
    That's seems better. When I change the Trigger I won't have to manually add ancillaries for each faction heir as the trigger will give it to the Player's faction right ?

That's seems better. When I change the Trigger I won't have to manually add ancillaries for each faction heir as the trigger will give it to the Player's faction right ?
    Correct.
    You'd only need to do changes (the ancillary, the trigger, and the description) to the ancillary files, which also means much better compatibility with other sub-mods (permanent watchtowers, for example)

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

I suggest though that it should not be given to the leader though, because if you are using BGR then the boosted authority gives you a advantage, removing fun aspects from the mod

But good work so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Historydude View Post
    I suggest though that it should not be given to the leader though, because if you are using BGR then the boosted authority gives you a advantage, removing fun aspects from the mod

But good work so far!
    It's incompatible with BGR, anyway
    Both change the ancillary files.

Correct.
    You'd only need to do changes (the ancillary, the trigger, and the description) to the ancillary files, which also means much better compatibility with other sub-mods (permanent watchtowers, for example)
    I tried that but it doesn't work that way. Don't really know why cause I'm no expert on modding. When I change the trigger it FH doesn't start with the Ancillary. I have changed descr_strat.txt of both eras, and fixed them so each FH starts with one. But I don't know if it will effect AI factions as well, but then again even if did, I don't think it will be of any use to them, since I don't think AI will transfer it through the family and it will be gone when their FH dies.

One more thing, I can now use this system effectively with both eras and with other factions as well, so not sure how this "and FactionType england" effects anything ? Any help is welcome making this better. It provides me what I needed, I can play the game choosing my own heirs, and it's a lot fun, I just want everyone else can use it too cause many people bothered by this faction heir issue.
    Last edited by Amaranth; August 17, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

He could always implement it into BGR later, just giving him a heads up on it.

I tried that but it doesn't work that way. Don't really know why cause I'm no expert on modding. When I change the trigger it FH doesn't start with the Ancillary. I have changed descr_strat.txt of both eras, and fixed them so each FH starts with one. But I don't know if it will effect AI factions as well, but then again even if did, I don't think it will be of any use to them, since I don't think AI will transfer it through the family and it will be gone when their FH dies.

One more thing, I can now use this system effectively with both eras and with other factions as well, so not sure how this "and FactionType england" effects anything ?
    Change "WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd" to "WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart"
    Then he should start with it, or at least get it at turn 2.

The trigger factionisengland means only england gets it, so it wont work for other nations

although that is a tad obvious now that i think of it xD my bad.

Change "WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd" to "WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart"
    Then he should start with it, or at least get it at turn 2.
    Ok I can try that. Like this right:

Trigger heir_crown
    WhenToTest WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
    Condition IsFactionLeader
    and FactionIsLocal

Quote Originally Posted by Historydude View Post
    The trigger factionisengland means only england gets it, so it wont work for other nations

although that is a tad obvious now that i think of it xD my bad.
    No, I started campaings with different factions without changing that part, it still works.
    Last edited by Amaranth; August 17, 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast