Thread: Chaos Undivided: A High Elves Call to Warhammer AAR.

Default Chaos Undivided: A High Elves Call to Warhammer AAR.

CHAOS UNDIVIDED

A CALL TO WARHAMMER AAR FOR MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR KINGDOMS

CAMPAIGN DIFFICULTY: HARD
    BATTLE DIFFICULTY:
    MEDIUM
    NO BATTLE TIME LIMIT
    UNLIMITED MEN ON BATTLEFIELD

PROLOGUE

Prince Theldasyr stepped into the private chambers hesitantly for it was unusual to receive a summons from The Phoenix King even if that king happened to be his father. He found him huddled over maps with his highest ranking generals.

“Then it is decided, the landing zones will be here and here”.

Landing Zones for the Elven Expeditionary Force

All of the Elves looked up as Theldasyr approached the table.

“I don’t mean to interrupt but… I was summoned?”

“Yes, yes indeed you were, my son. In fact, we were speaking of you only moments ago. How do you fair my son, it has been how long? Twenty years since I saw you last.”

The Phoenix King

“Twenty Five to be exact, sire, I am well. I receive your instructions and I carry them out diligently as it should be”.

“Perhaps you may not be so eager to carry them out this time but with great risk comes just rewards… for instance permission to marry? We will not speak of that now. First we must speak of the great risk. Have you ever heard the name Tzeentah?”

“Of course, my liege, he is a major demon of the second plane. I think every Asur knows about him from the stories of the Second War of Chaos”.

“No need to call me liege or sire, my son. You are my first born and you have come of age, if you haven’t, you soon will. If you are familiar with Tzeentah, then you must know of Slaanesh and Nurgle and Khorne”

“Of course father. Khorne is the demon that slew your phoenix! In the first war of....” His father cut him off.

“WE WILL NOT SPEAK OF THAT! NOT NOW, NOT EVER!”

Theldasyr felt foolish. Phoenix’ bonded with their riders for life, much like the dragon riders of old. He had opened a very ancient wound.

The Phoenix king sighed, falling back in his chair, and remained silent for a moment before he spoke again. When he did so, he did so quietly.

“On second thought, you may refer to me as liege or sire because I am about to command you to do something that perhaps you will not like. It is also a command I may come to regret for many years to come. It will be done, must be done, none the less. General Mitharus, please give Crown Prince Theldasyr an overview of the plans we have afoot.

If Theldasyr had been curious of the reasons why he had been summoned here, now, he was completely baffled.

General Mitharus began his report.

“Yes, great lord. There is disturbing news from across the seas to the East. Cults worshipping all four of the major demons of the Second Plane have sprung up at the same time. Nurgle, Khorne, Tzeentah and Slaanesh”

“These cults that have taken control of entire nations. They are barbaric low men, sacrificing all their conquered foes unless they submit to their foul blood rituals. They fight among themselves but take a particular relish when assailing the High Men of the Empire to the south."

"The Empire has begged for our assistance for many years but as you know an elf can only die in battle or because of a tragic accident of fate. We saw no reason to risk the life of even one elf on such a reckless and most likely pointless venture but everything has changed now. We have word that a Druchii colony has sprung up in the North of the continent and that can only mean one thing…”

Theldasyr interrupted. “DRUCHII, HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?”

The Druchii, or Dark Elves in the Empire Tongue, were thought to have been exterminated in the Great War of Ulthuan. That had been seventy-five years ago even Theldasyr had been old enough to participate in the final war of unification.

A Druchii Overlord

“Calm yourself, Theldasyr… All will be revealed.” The Phoenix King was not pleased with his son’s interjection.

General Mitharus continued.

“Apparently, we did not completely wipe out the evil wretches. They retreated into the bowls of the earth like vermin and like all vermin we may never be able to completely do away with them. But if they are now strong enough to send an expedition over the sea to the East, it can only mean one thing…”

“They revived the cults!” Theldasyr exclaimed

“It must be so and the low men have no idea of the madness they are about to unleash.”

Theldasyr’s heart skipped a beat.

“Chaos…. undivided”.

‘Yes, the Druchii seek and are carrying out a plan to bring about ‘The End of Days’.

“They must be stopped! That’s what you are all doing here. Sire, you are planning an expedition across the seas to stop them”. “When do you leave?”

A sardonic smile crossed The Phoenix King’s face.

“I am not leaving… You are.”

Now Theldasyr’s heart jumped into his throat.

“Me! why me? Who would follow me to their possible doom? After all, I have been performing, mainly, ceremonial duties for the last fifty years."

“They will follow you because I will command it and they will be frightened of the chaos across the seas reaching Ulthuan, which it will, unless the Druchii plans are foiled.”

“It is my highest duty to defend this land… and I must be here to protect the Asur if this mission should fail. But it will not fail, it must not fail and now it is your duty to make sure it does not."

Theldasyr was now convinced that his heart had completely stopped beating. It would take a great deal of time for him to recover from the information he had just heard in his father’s chambers… and for the first time in his life, he did not have it.

Default Re: Chaos Undivided: A High Elves Call to Warhammer AAR.

CHAPTER 1
    AENARION'S WAY

Excerpts from the archives of Galnius, chief scribe of the Priests of Aenarion, (fifty years after the crossing).

It was commanded by The Phoenix King that the expedition was to depart as soon as possible. Still it was nine months before the great Elvin flotilla was ready to depart. The crossing took an additional three months.

The chief reason the preparations took so long was that the elves were not setting sail east just to fight. They were planning to stay. There were not enough ships in the whole Asur Navy to transport and sustain a force with the numbers to defeat the cultists and Druchii. In fact, there were probably not enough elves to complete the job. The Asur could only aid the Empire. Much as the Druchii instigated and aided the cultists.

Towns and ports would need to be established on the beach heads, with many elf commoner and High Man inhabitants. Blacksmiths, priests and countless other craftsmen and laborers would be needed if the expedition was to have any chance of success.

The initial troop committed consisted of mostly Sea Guard Units with a few additional auxiliary units. Sea Guard units at the time were not Regular Legion Units but instead were attached to the Ulthuan Navy. All elves of a certain age were required to perform a period of military service. The Sea Guard was the elite among these elves.

To the surprise of all, a great number of The Princes of Caledor chose to make the risky first crossing. All of these princes were former dragon riders and to a man were well over one thousand years old; old enough to have fought in The Second War of Chaos and not elves that would risk their lives lightly.

The Elvin Expeditionary Force: Troop Composition:

The Lothern Seaguard consisted of young elves serving their required years of military service. Attached to the Elvin Navy, ‘The Sea Claws’, their primary duty was to protect the coastlines and islands surrounding Ulthuan. They were trained to perform the fearsome Elvin Spearwall.

Seaguard Archers were the backbone of the Elvin Expeditionary Force. Their bows were lethal from incredible distances. These were elves that had chosen to serve after their required military service was complete. As such, their skills were extremely well honed and they were used as light infantry when needed.

Used primary as scouts and to draw enemies away from the flanks, the reavers were experts with the bow from horseback. They were recruited from Ellyria, one of the last provinces to submit to the rule of The Phoenix King. As such, they retained a very independent streak. Their units served voluntarily as auxiliaries but insisted on serving under their own captains.

The Princes of Caledor were an unexpected boon to the initial landings. These princes were members of The Phoenix King’s Royal Guard Legion. They were among the oldest elves still living, The Phoenix King being perhaps the oldest. Crown Prince Theldasyr grieved to lose even one of these ancient heroes. Fierce foes of the forces of Chaos, these heavy cavalry units fought with fanatical zeal on the field of battle. Especially when facing the Cultists of Khone; followers of the demon that had killed most of their dragons and indeed the Phoenix’ of their king as well.

The Norscan Subjugation

The Norscans’ were a seafaring people that were slowly being swayed into the Cult of Khorne. Their lands consisted of a small strip of coastline, on the eastern coast of the continent, buffered by an impassible mountain range and two small islands in The Sea of Claws. The Phoenix King and the Princes of Caledor possessed ancient enmity to this particular cult. These small provinces represented a chink in Khorne’s armor and The Asur’ were primed to exploit it.

The Western Landing Zone

The Asur Expeditionary Force reached The Sea of Claws on the first day of summer. The Norsicans’ put up only token resistance as predicted. It was, by far, the smaller of the two Asur forced committed overseas. Reason being that it was closer to the Empire in the south and could be supported by the Asur’s allies. Crown Prince Theldasyr immediately alerted The Empire of his presence and set up trading routes and diplomatic relations.

He set himself to improving the colony before any military ventures began. Stonewalls, a port facility, a basic market place and training centers for additional troops were quickly put in place over the course of the summer and autumn.

The Eastern Landing Zone

Cradled between a mountain range and the sea, the capital of Norsca seemed at first to be a relatively defensible position. A continent away from the Sea of Claws, neither force could come to the others aid in any way. The capital also fell within days. The eastern invasion was led by The Phoenix King’s younger sons, Alunais and Draethenil. Alunais, a competent administrator, would be governor in chief of any provinces conquered. Drathenil, trained since birth in the arts of war, would command the military forces.

The Eastern Colony was much closer to Khone. Draethenil, always conscious of the tragedy that the loss that each elfin life represented, dug in and waited for the rest of the troops scheduled to arrive in three waves over the course of the year.

While he waited, he thought it wise to detach a unit of scouts to do reconnaissance in the northern fringes of the province. Draethenil was curious how far they could venture before meeting resistance. The Ellyrian Reavers he detached were not pleased with the order.

Ellyrian Reavers are Detached to Scout to the North.

Death Ride

Draethenil was an imposing presence. Of all of his sons, Draethenil was the one the most resembled The Phoenix King himself. He was tall, even for an elf, and all muscle with a cold stare that could cut to the bone. An opportunity to lead an Asur expedition of this magnitude only came once in a Millennium. He was thankful that it had not been necessary to wait that long.

“Runner, front and center, fetch me the reaver Captain Mesilhin!”

It was only moments before Mesilhin trotted up on a prized Ellyrian stallion…. But he was taking his sweet time.

“You called, general. I was just working my men through some drills.”

“I hope you have drilled them well. Gather supplies and head north with your company and do not return until you have encountered resistance.”

“What if we should not return, my lord?”

“Then I shall know where there is resistance, shant I?"

Mesilhin appeared angered. Perhaps he bit his tongue before his reply.

“It shall be as you wish, my lord”.

The captain kicked his steed and rode away like lightening.

Mesilhin rode north several days before encountering the ‘resistance’ their prince had spoken of. As they drew ever closer it seemed as if the trees, the birds and the very air they breathed was watching them. Perhaps it was true for not long after they could hear the calls of barbarian horns ringing through the hills and forest.

Reavers Meet Resistance

Mesilhin was approached by one of his Lieutenants, Cadrir.

“It seems that we have been detected.”

“I fear it is worst than you believe. We have been completely surrounded for many hours.”

“Then we should try to make a break for Norsca, sir!”

“No, we’ve gone too far for that. We must find out how many of these low men are hovering on our northern border and get the information back to that blasted prince somehow. To the east there are some hills, we can make a break for those and wave our flags nice and high so all of these barbarians can see them.”

Mesilhin’s Company Meets It’s Doom

“Well, there is our answer Cadrir. If we were counting a herd of Mendoks on the plains of Ellyria, I would say there are eleven or twelve hundred and they are not Khone worshippers, the blue flags mean Tzeentch.

Scouting Report

“Cadrir, take two men and go back through the forest to the south. When you are through, ride like the wind, to be free again. Even if your steed should fail you, do not stop. You’ve got such a long way to go to get you to the border of Norsca.”

“And you Sir?”

“I’m going to take this mob on a merry chase. We will ride together again, my brother… with Aenarion on green fields.”

Mesilhin’s Death Ride

Draethenil’s Folly

Norsca Before the Storm.

Three riders approached Prince Draethenil’s headquarters from the north, Reavers by the look of them.

“Captain Belsoel, find out who these elves are and what they want.”
    Belsoel, returned in a moment.

“They are Lieutenant Cadrir and two of his men. Apparently the only survivors of the scouts you sent north five days ago.”

Draethenil looked disturbed. He did not enjoy sending elves to their doom even if it was his job.

“Assemble my captains and generals. We will receive their report together.”

About an hour later the captains were assembled in the prince’s command tent. The men included; his older brother Alunais who was ruling the town of Norsca under elfin martial law, Captain Besoel of the Sea Guard, Captain Callianel of the Sea Guard Archers, Captain Ankahri of the Silver Helms (an elf of very fine old elvin blood), Captain Mefandir of the Princes of Caledor and Admiral Raziriel who commanded the elvin ‘Sea Claws’ in the east.

A representative from the Reavers was not present as they chose their own captains and were currently squabbling in typical Ellyrian fashion about who would replace Mesilhin.

Alunais was the first to speak. Officially, he was the leader of the expedition in the east but in meetings about military concerns Draethenil was first man. Alunais conformed to military protocols in front of the other captains and generals.

“Draethenil, Supreme Commander of the Eastern Armies… You have called a military conference. The floor is yours.”

“We have a scouting report from the north, many Ellyrian reavers died to provide us with this information. There is a Tzeentch settlement four to six days march north with an army of twelve hundred low men.”

Captain Callianel put his hands on his head.

“So we are pinned between Tzeenthch in to the north and Khone to the south and east”.

“That is so.” Draethenil conceded. Then he continued.

“Admiral Raziriel, when can we expect reinforcements?"

“The second wave could arrive tomorrow or a month hence. It is possible they will never come. We are being watched by primitive Khone sea crafts that remain just out of reach. We are keeping the ‘Sea Claws’ close to the shore in case we need to evacuate the Sea Guard."

Alunais chimed in.

“If it is possible we may be attacked why do you keep your forces to the south in the hills? We have many elf commoners and crafters in the city, not to mention the humans that have submitted to our rule, yet you leave only a token garrison in the town. It makes them uneasy.”

“One of the first rules of warfare Alunais… Never hold a town that cannot be held. If they are uneasy then command them to dig secret tunnels. Make it clear to them that we have the ships to evacuate them if necessary. Be careful who digs them though. They should be only elves you trust. Aenarion forbid the enemy catches wind of them.”

When the council was over, Lt. Cadrir entered the tent.

“I am here to inform you that I have been elected as the new captain of The Reavers.”

Captain Callianel rose to shake his hand.

“A fine choice indeed, you are a brave man and a fine soldier. We will inform you of the next command meeting.”

“I am also here to post a grievance in the official records of the expedition. We are proud Ellyrians. We refuse to be used as disposable chattel.”

Draethenil rose from his chair.

“You are scouts and you shall be used as such.”

“Scouts we may be but if you treat us as the slaves of Lothern. You may find one morning that we have disappeared.”

Draethenil approached Cadrir. He towered over the diminutive elf.

“AND WHERE SHALL YOU GO?”

“We shall go to the empire my lord, where they will pay us handsomely for what we are… the finest scouts in the world!”

“INSOLENCE!”

Now it was the Prince of Caledor, Mefandir, who rose…

“Captain Cadrir, you are dismissed.”

No one argues with a Prince of Caledor. When Cadrir was gone he turned to Draethenil.

“Ease up my prince… Feel Aenarion around you or you will become the thing you hate the most.”

The presence of The Princes of Caledor was at once reassuring and maddening. It was reassuring because they unleashed the fury of Aenarion himself on the battlefield; maddening because if there were any elves in the world that The Phoenix King called friend he was among the former dragon riders. There was no doubt that they were the king’s eyes and ears in the expeditionary force.

“And what is that Mefandir?”

Mefandir whispered…

“The enemy”

Draethenil’s Folly

Khone Attacks Begin

Excerpts from the archives of Galnius, chief scribe of the Priests of Aenarion, (fifty years after the crossing).

The Khone attacks on Norsca began in the dead of winter. By coincidence or fate the second wave of elvin reinforcements from Ulthuan arrived around the same time. Draethenil’s combined forces moved to block the path of the advancing Khones but did not attack. Instead, he dared the enemy to attack him so he could put his archers to best use.

Reinforcements from Ulthuan Arrive Just in Time.

Draethenil Blocks the Path of Advancing Khones

Instead, the low men simply bypassed Draethenil’s Army and laid siege to Norsca.

The First Siege of Norsca

Draethenil then attacked the low men and their vile general Halstan to break the siege.

Battle is Joined

Battle Array of Elvin Army at the First Siege of Norsca

Prince Draethenil’s Perspective

The Low Men Rush Upon the Elvin Host in an Angry Mob

A runner approached Draethenil. It was a message from Captain Belsoel of the Seaguard.

“The enemy has begun testing the spear wall on the right flank.”

A smile played across the prince’s face.

“They will find that a fool’s errand.”

The Fearsome Elvin Spear Wall

The heaviest fighting was on the right flank. Heavy low men infantry tried pushing back the spear wall with superior numbers while heavy cavalry attempted to round the flank and get in amongst the archers.

Fierce Action on the right flank.

Another runner, this time from Captain Callianel of The Sea Guard Archers, ran up to Draethenil out of breath.

“Heavy horse have broken through the right flank and are running amok among our archers!”

Draethenil’s first instinct was to commit a company of the Princes of Caledor. Instead he committed his entire royal guard. He was itching to get into the fight. A regiment of Caledor knights charged after them anyway. His sons did not know it but the knights were under strict orders from the Phoenix King to protect the princes on the field of battle at all times.

Before the Former Dragon riders Could Reach Draethenil, the Unthinkable Happened.

The Silver Helms led by Prince Ankahri commence charge after charge moving further and further from the right flank to lure enemy units away from the heavy fighting. Casualties were high but the slow methodical charges were devastating.

The Dragon Riders were enrages. They had failed their King. All four regiments, usually kept in reserve unless victory was in jeopardy unleashed themselves on their ancient enemies like a coiled snake.

The Princes of Caledor Prepare to Charge.

Caledor Charge.

Khones’ Last Push to Break The Center.

Caledor Knights Roll the Khone Left flank with great slaughter.

And You Shall Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead.

Prince Mefandir of Caledor was now the highest ranking officer on the field.

“Take that cannon out and chase down this rabble, the field is ours!”

‘At great cost’ he thought but he kept that to himself.

There were no celebrations after this victory, forever known as ‘Draethenil’s Folly’. The Elves had won three to one but had lost almost seven hundred; among them their commanding prince and countless Caledor Knights.

There was one exception. Captain Cadrir of The Reavers wasn’t the least upset by Draethenil’s death. In the end, you get what is coming to you, he thought. It was Aenarion’s way.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Very nice work Xtiaan72! Can't wait to see more

+rep

Thanks Pilgrim, feedback is great when you attempt something like this. Cheers

Citizen

I know what it's like to recieve little credit for hardwork. It doesn't make it easy with pushing on. Keep up the great work!

Hard Crash on turn 54. Can't seem to get around. It's a shame, it was just getting interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtiaan72 View Post
    Hard Crash on turn 54. Can't seem to get around. It's a shame, it was just getting interesting.
    Oh no !!!!!!! don't tell me that this aar will end with just one chapter .
    Xtiaan72 , many people had face this bug and overcome it
    Look around the bug report forum , perhap you will find a solution .
    ░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤
    This is Total War !!!

I think I may be able to salvage this one. Got around the bug somehow

the few people who make dark elves and high elves AAR's don't even use my DE/HE enhanced mods. what a shame, sometime i m asking to myself why the hell am i modding? lol

btw, they do GREAT AAR's

cheers!

"With Hate, all things are possible." Malus Darkblade

TWMadman, if you will ever make Dwarfs Enhanced Mod, then I will use it and thank you forever, and pray for the Ancestor Gods to bless you, for nothing stands taller than the might of the dwarfs. By Grungni and all the Ancestors, this Oath i swear!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TWmadman View Post
    the few people who make dark elves and high elves AAR's don't even use my DE/HE enhanced mods. what a shame, sometime i m asking to myself why the hell am i modding? lol

btw, they do GREAT AAR's

cheers!
    Just keep this in mind TWmadman:

It doesn't matter how popular a mod is. As long as the creator loves and cares for their mod, it will be a good mod.

I've had a hard time getting sub-mods to work with this mod. Also I am relatively new to playing this mod as well. I have to say even vanilla is a revelation for me.

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

@TWMadman: for some of us, we cant play after turn 70 something (like myself) so i kind of HAVE to use the Real warhammer mod. Besides, Real warhammer benefits all factions to some degree. I kind of wish you would incorporate your works with those of THP, but since that wont happen i find myself choosing A) a mod that fixes the game and gives me several better factions and is mostly bug free, or B) play a mod with one excellent faction, which still has bugs, and cannot be played past turn 70-ish without crashing.

I dunno, maybe its just me but real warhammer has a bit of a leg up.

Your work IS appreciated though, its just alot of people have to make alternative choices. I was thinking of doing a dark elven AAR, maybe I might consider using your work.

My High Elves Enhanced Mod 1.4 use Holy Pilgrim's sandbox campaign... so no more CTD

"With Hate, all things are possible." Malus Darkblade

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

Nice ! Ill give it a go +rep