Thread: some suggestions

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Default some suggestions

I only recently discovered this mod, much to my delight. I have played a few custom battles and I think the mod is great. I love the time frame since the Achaemenid empire is a topic i mentally :wub: about frequently. I think that the next patch should change a few things though. since this is built with 1.5 (im using TW-Fanboy's port to Alex) there is no shield wall. Hoplites i've noticed take an unrealistically high number of casualties given their historical record. There is a way to fix the shield wall issue that the devs of Invasio Barbarorum used to put it a custom shield wall formation into alex but since i dont know anything about that I won't suggest it. I think that hoplites need a closer unit formation (that is what Extended Realism does). This will simulate a phalanx and should cause hoplites to take at least slightly fewer casualties. it won't let them dominate everyone like with shield wall but it should as i said give them a better edge. there also might be a way to script a shield bonus vs missiles, i think that is what the IB team did. Also, will any updates include more units? There are so few! Where are the immortals!?!?! I want to use them =O.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: some suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Imperiumiv View Post
    I only recently discovered this mod, much to my delight. I have played a few custom battles and I think the mod is great. I love the time frame since the Achaemenid empire is a topic i mentally :wub: about frequently. I think that the next patch should change a few things though. since this is built with 1.5 (im using TW-Fanboy's port to Alex) there is no shield wall. Hoplites i've noticed take an unrealistically high number of casualties given their historical record. There is a way to fix the shield wall issue that the devs of Invasio Barbarorum used to put it a custom shield wall formation into alex but since i dont know anything about that I won't suggest it. I think that hoplites need a closer unit formation (that is what Extended Realism does). This will simulate a phalanx and should cause hoplites to take at least slightly fewer casualties. it won't let them dominate everyone like with shield wall but it should as i said give them a better edge. there also might be a way to script a shield bonus vs missiles, i think that is what the IB team did. Also, will any updates include more units? There are so few! Where are the immortals!?!?! I want to use them =O.
    those 2 archer infantry for parsa are immortals (or just other one)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Well I think the Hoplites are good enough in the game. They rule the battles. Just try a campaign - the greeks are overpowered enough. Shield Wall itself would be a bad idea I guess as the Hoplites would loose their mobility.
    About casualties: the TW games are not made for historical accurate battles - most battle end up as a Cannae where one side is able to terminate large parts of the enemy forces.

Regarding more units: As long as not all factions are playable the (very small) team should try to add unique units to all and make them playable.
    And even then the way they have choosen is a good idea. No need to have six units with the exact same use (and only one point more for attack, armour, ...) but instead give each unit the right to exist and a purpose on the battlefields. When you play eastern factions you can recruit local troops so the bigger your empire the more diverse units you can train. On the other hand the Greeks are not well known for diverse warfare, so would not make much difference if you have currently 6 hoplite units or 20 ...

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

i think the greek fractions are made good and quite realistic, only one thik which i find unrealistic is the cavalry, the city states in mainland did not use it until peloponesian war (except thesaly

Xerrop, we are going to have to recruit you as our Public Relations manager