Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Conquered, we conquer.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Icon1 Re: Conquered, we conquer.

Story

It's the end game and Phraotes knows it. Ponus has joined her battle lines, troops spilling in from the north to engulf the last Ptolemaic cities. A little bloodletting and this war will finally be at an end. Finally freeing up Pontic troops to deal with their other foes, the Scythian savages and thrice damned Greeks.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Not many Ptolemies left.

Went with ladders instead of a second tower to get my troops onto the wall faster. Three units of spearmen should make a nice dent in anything.

Is what I was thinking before my fight with the Ptolemies levy spearmen. Somehow it was an even fight. Lost some time and troops killing off their cheap levies.

They had their top tier phalangites up on the wall as well. After my spearmens pathetic showing I decided to just get my army inside.

Once inside I split my army in half. Three phalangites and my archers blocked this road into the courtyard.

And blocked it well.

It's the same drill on the other side just with my cavalry in place of my archers.

When my troops were in place I advanced both sides and squeezed them.

After a little shoving I was able open up a big enough gap to slip my cavalry around my line and pounce on their general.

The courtyard taken their troops abandoned the walls. I had my spears down though and cut them off. Not looking for a win, simply running down the clock.

Until the inevitable victory.

It's a victory and another Ptolemaic leader slain. But the even as his men celebrate the victory Phraotes is presented with the horrifying truth. His quarry has escaped. This man Musyros was merely a distraction. A loyal Ptolemaic servant he lead their army while their king fled. Taking with him the Ptolemies war chest, funds enough to carry on the war for years more.

They fled south, the the very origins of the Nile itself. Lands Pontus has almost abandoned. All but one army. The troops of the exiled general Intaphernes. The absolute last person Phraotes wishes to trust with anything, much less something this crucial.

Phraotes rails. He calls in every commander in his army, hoping for any other option. Furiously criticizing their failure to present a better plan. Finally, with the next night rapidly approaching the exertion of the nights battle overtakes him. Exhausted he sits stony faced and accepts the inevitable. The only other options are to pull an army away from the front with the Scythians or train a new army at great cost. Both of which would take precious time. It's a bitter pill but Intaphernes can end this war now. Catch Pontus quarry before it can take flight again.

Letters are sent out, requesting Intaphernes aid in ending the war. Paving the way for him to crawl out of a deserved exile and back into the royal court to spread his poison anew.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intaphernes knows that the gods have forsaken him. His army marches south, its morale low. Desertion is rife and even rumors that his men will change sides rather than fight their brothers in the south. The true problem is of course Intaphernes himself. He is not the same charismatic general they chose to follow. He takes every question as an insult. Snapping at the mere idea that his officers could question him.

His men don't desert because of the war but because they don't trust their general. And they don't trust their general because he doesn't trust them.

A fact Intaphernes can't accept. He only accepts the darkest rumors. Drinks them all in and schemes. Plotting who amongst his men he'll need to kill to maintain order. Here at the edge of the world this is exactly how a general can find himself killed by his own men.

Despite it all Intaphernes luck holds. Before any of this madness can push him into action riders arrive with urgent news from his hated king.

"A request? How unexpectedly civil."

Intaphernes expected an assassins knife first. He reads the messages over and over, weighing every word. Twisting their meaning to fit his own delusions.

It's a way back though. A way to turn the tables on Phraotes and put himself back where he belongs. Back in line for the throne.

Intaphernes is out amongst his men is a heartbeat. All thoughts of their betrayal forgotten. He leads and his men follow. Follow happily even, simply glad to have their general back. Focused and not ranting madness. Of course it's all a facade. Intaphernes will use these men and throw them away. But there's no need to trouble them with such trite details.
    The Ptolemies have a dwindling number of family members. Here I've managed to drag them all into one fight. Needless to say their deaths are my biggest priority.

First things, first. Towers to the walls. Not much faith in my spearmen after last battle so I'm using my axemen instead.

Looking left they have slingers sitting at this bend in the wall. I'd rather not walk my soldiers into this shooting gallery. Especially shield less axemen, so I roll them right.

And let my army in the first gate my axemen come across.

I set my army up to defend the gate and quickly draw some enemies. Nothing my Nubians can't handle though.

With my main army safe it's back to the walls. Where my axemen are simply devastating the Ptolemies merc spearmen. I know they have a huge offensive advantage but I never expected them to be so dominant. It's like Godzilla in Tokyo.

Two units of dead spearmen later and the walls are mine. I don't break the momentum though, instead chasing their slingers right down off the walls and continuing the slaughter.

Eventually their slingers do get me to pull my axemen back but not before making a sizable dent in their manpower.

Time to put my main army to work. I try to set up another killzone around this intersection but the Ptomenies rush me and it turns into a melee.

During a lull in the fight though I get my troops into place. The Ptolemies aren't happy about how close I am to the courtyard and rush unit after unit to try to repel me.

Which is the worst thing they could do.

Meanwhile I looped my general and camel archers around to hit their side.

All that remains is their generals. So I moved in two quick surges. Tossing my infantry against two of their generals.

While my general and camels swarm the Ptolemaic king.

Victory.

The battle, no the war is won. Intaphernes doesn't waste a second. He send out letters of victory to half the empire. Letters to her leaders virtually dripping with venom and deceit. A great war has just ended but in Intaphernes mind a private one has just begun.
    It's the end of an era and a little something for my young kings mantle.

Last edited by Fouch; December 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: Conquered, we conquer.

Good job on killing the Ptolemies! What are you going to do next?

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

First thing is to take care of this rebel scum. Long term I was planning on finishing off the eastern kingdoms and securing the Nile. Then sending an army or two against the Saba, mostly just to setup a defensive hold in Arabia against Parthia like I have against Greece at Nicomedia. With that secured I'll be able to focus all my other armies against the Scythians and liberating Armenia.

Honestly though the next step is probably going to be up to you. You happen to remember when I said I was planning to end this AAR? It was once I met the victory conditions for Pontus which will come about once the Seleucids are dead. They've been nothing if not tenacious about staying alive but well here's their last town.
    I say it's up to you because I promised Martin awhile back that I'd post my save games once I was done. A promise I intend to keep.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Even with the last Ptolemy dead there are still some who resist. Cities, freed from Ptolemaic servitude, now hope to make their own destiny. Phraotes can understand this urge but cannot abide it. He orders his armies to show no mercy to those that resist. Let them be examples. You can have Pontic protection or Pontic vengeance. There will be no middle ground.
    Raiding a city with one of my anti-cavalry armies. Good thing it's just rebels or I could be in some trouble.

Four towers. Zero opposition.

I split my spearmen up. Taking towers on the right and fighting on the left.

I couldn't have picked a better spot for the fight as a captured tower could shoot back into the heart of their forces.

Under that kind of fire it didn't take long for them to route.

The real strength of this army is it's cavalry. So once the walls were taken it was time get them inside and put them to work.

They didn't have nearly enough troops left to stand against my cavalry horde and I just steam rolled anything in my way.

With the courtyard in hand their last men tried a brave charge.

Which didn't end quite how they'd planned.

But did land me a victory.

Antioch belongs to Pontus now. It's satrap slain and it's dreams of independence crushed.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

With the fall of the Ptolemies many cities claimed independence. Now, with Antioch smoldering, only two cities are still brave enough to resist. At times like these Phraotes truly hates the fates. These brave men would make a fitting addition to Pontus. Instead they will all die. Cities will be taken but only after their best men are gone. A loss Phraotes finds himself powerless to avoid.
    Another terribly one sided fight.

They really don't want me getting on the walls.

One tower burns but the other makes it. My spearmen fight bravely while the whole army watches.

Their archers and sparabara just can't compete.

What a mess.

I let my phalanxes push the gate.

But only to make way for my cavalry.

Who are easily able to smash the remaining enemies.

And land me a victory.

The walls fall and the slaughter begins. In his pragmatic mind Phraotes knows there is no other way. But in his heart he weeps.

Etc

Merry Christmas all.

Nice update, will be a shame to see this AAR reach its conclusion.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Winter 218 BC:

Vahauka has walked a long road. Fifteen years ago today he landed at Cyrene. Since then he's buried his general, his king and his enemy's empire. Now it is his honor to finally end this war.
    One last town to clean up.

First thing is to get my soldiers on the wall. In this case I go with my trusty axemen.

I lose most the my axemen simply closing the gap to their archers. But once it switches to melee they lose any chance they might of had.

I'm ready to bring my horses inside and go for the kill blow but the last of their infantry is standing right in the way.

I opt for the patient option, using my tower to bring my archers up on the walls. Under fire from three units their spearmen don't last long.

Leaving a clear path to the courtyard for my horses.

One swarm later.

And it's all over. Victory.

The town is taken but far from secure. Vahauka stares out from the walls of Palmyra at the Scythian horde boiling on the horizon. He can't help but notice the irony. His army has fought one war only to arrive in another.

The Scythian army slowly slinks away. Harsh experience has thought them to fear attacking Pontic walls but they won't go far. It will be time to fight again all too soon.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Icon2 Re: Conquered, we conquer.

Coda

Two turns later and it's official.

It's been my great pleasure writing for you this four and a half months but all things must end. Thank you all for reading and for being a great audience. Your numbers have been small but your hospitality great. Thanks always.

And as promised I've attached my Pontus saved game as well as one more you might enjoy. Alexander.exe currently running under XGM 5.9.17

ALX.exe is tied to the C drive, and due to formatting errors Everything that should be there... is in D. Woops. I'd be interested to see what others make of the campaign though.

Metaluis90's Avatar Ordinarius

Excellent story chosen man!
    I have +rep you

I just want to point something out:

I've read in Valerio Massimo Manfredi's book "The Empire of the Dragons" that Persians dind't burn their dead, nor they bury them, because they believed earth and fire were sacred, and giving them their dead was seen as sacrilegious; instead of it, they put their dead in big, tall towers of wood to let them rot.
    "Rules without exceptions last eternally; Roman Law is the only law"
    "The mighty sword in mighty Roman hands"

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

That's so strange. You'd think that the smell alone would prevent that.

Metaluis90's Avatar Ordinarius

Los Caspios y los Persas dejaban sus cadáveres expuestos en los campos para que los buitres acabasen con las partes blandas. Una vez descarnado así el esqueleto, después de soleado un cierto tiempo, purificado, era enterrado posteriormente sin daño para la salud.
    Museo de Antropología Médico-Forense Paleopatología y Criminalística
    PROFESOR JOSÉ MANUEL REVERTE COMA
    I found another statement supporting those rites. It says that "Caspain and Persians left their corpses in the field so vultures could eat its soft parts (I supposed he refers to their organs and flesh). After a time where the sun purified the rests, the skeleton was buried, with no harms for health"
    "Rules without exceptions last eternally; Roman Law is the only law"
    "The mighty sword in mighty Roman hands"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567