Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Conquered, we conquer.

Default Re: Conquered, we conquer.

That's good to hear (that you'll have more updates up I mean, not your shift bump ), for a moment there I was getting a little worried that this AAR had been abandoned.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Icon1 Re: Conquered, we conquer.

Story

Summer 223 BC:

Phraotes army landed with great fanfare. Marching out though Phraotes knows the truth. His army is green, most of it's men still boys who have never seen a fight. Soon the smiles will be stripped from their face and replaced with the grim stares of bloodied veterans.

That matters little though. The Nile campaign has taken far too long and must be ended. With the Scythians threatening the north the empire simply cannot afford to be tied up in a foreign war. These lands must be made peaceful and profitable. Pontus has chosen Phraotes to be her champion and given him what men it could. Now it is his turn to earn his nations trust.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sealing up the Nile.

I start off my getting my towers to the wall, far to the side of where the enemy defenders are stationed.

Instead of facing them on the walls I grab an undefended gate and slip my army into the city.

And head straight for the courtyard, forcing the enemies to come off the walls and face me.

I'm careful to keep my cavalry back away from the enemies spears. And most of thier forces conveniently focus on my phalanxes.

Those that don't are forced to walk through a hail of javelins.

With them out of the way I'm able to pinwheel my horses around and squeeze their army.

It doesn't last long after that.

His enemies are all dead or fled and Phraotes now controls their homes and treasure. It is a good start and crucial step towards the end of this war.

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Lets hope you can hold on. The Scythians look very strong, and the greeks might just come after you too! I don't envy you your position. And the winner of the western war (probably Rome) is going to be a very tough nut to crack later on.

Good luck and great work so far!

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Summer 223 BC:

The world moves in cycles and Pairisades is trapped in them. Pairisades came to power by killing Greeks. And now at the end of his life the wheel of the universe has come around once again. A grand Greek coalition marches east with spear in hand and conquest in heart.

East and west, Xerxes and Alexander; these peoples have always been bound together. And will continue to be long after Pairisades death. That is fate, and Pairisades is but a small part of this grand history.

These thoughts give him comfort as he marches out to war. The Greeks advanced army approaches his home and Pairisades plans to greet them along with several thousand of his bravest countrymen.
    It's gonna be a long couple of turns isn't it?

Bit of an odd start to this one. I started by trying to move my army out of the front gate. I expected the Greeks to move off, like usual. Instead they rushed my gate. Fearing a slaughter at my gate I pulled my army back inside and brought them out a side gate.

In the interim though a whole wing of the Greek army just sat contentedly while my towers gunned them down with ballista.

Finally I had my army assembled and rotated into place. Cavalry on the high ground.

And the battle is joined.

On the right I'm able to feint with my infantry and tie up their skirmishers. Then ride right around their flank and punch deep behind their line.

The route is instant and devastating.

And all that's left is to chase them to the border and claim a victory.

It is a victory and a great one but Pairisades mood is still subdued. Let the men celebrate. Pairisades envies them. He is a general and a king and cannot afford such niceties. Not after just one battle in what he knows will prove to be a long and bloody war.

Etc

and the greeks might just come after you too!
    Pretty prescient there magraev. The battle screen gets in the way so here's a better image of what the Greeks are sending my way.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Summer 222 BC:

The war between Pontus and Egypt has been marked by slaughter. Even against this backdrop Intaphernes has earned the reputation of a butcher. At Pselchis he methodically butchered Greeks all while talking about peace. The people of the Nile had long been integrated with the heirs of Alexander. Intaphernes actively seeks to tear open these long healed wounds. In his wake he leaves only death and civil strife. Cities are loyal to Pontus but how much does that matter when neighbors slaughter each other in the streets?

Phraotes has heard all these rumors but believes none of them. He remembers Intaphernes as the soft hearted cousin he grew up with, and as the magnificent general responsible for the entire southern half of the Nile campaign. It is under these misconceptions that he orders Intaphernes army north to quell the Ptolemaic threat posed by Thebes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Intaphernes army is a sight to behold. Fully half now composed of local levies, all zealously loyal to Intaphernes himself. These men do well to fill the obvious gaps in older units. Gaps left less by casualties and more by desertion.

Intaphernes is mad, blaming his brothers death purely on Hellenes. At first this merely extended to conquest. Intaphernes ordering harsh policies against Greek and Macedonian settles in any captured settlement. Soon though it even extended to his own army. The children of Macedon have all been driven from the army, officers and footmen alike.

This strange and wholly un-Pontic army marches north to conquer.
    Not many Ptolemies left in the Nile.

I decided to change pace this battle and started with my sap site.

With most of their troops still up on the walls I easily breach with my cavalry.

And make straight for their courtyard.

With the courtyard in danger the troops on the walls try to fall back but I have my infantry waiting for them.

As the last of their courtyard troops are slaughtered it becomes obvious that the computers plan has fallen apart.

And their wall troops break and run. As these men would have to run through my infantry and my horses to reach the courtyard I just took the victory.

The city falls quickly but the slaughter goes on for days. Intaphernes drinks it in. On his orders his corps of loyal Egyptians ruthlessly slaughter anyone with even a drop of Greek blood. Friends turn on one another. Accusations fly wildly and blood flows constantly. By the fourth day even those merely harboring Greeks are also killed. Dragged from their homes and slaughtered simply for seeking to protect their neighbors.

It is at this time that the last of Intaphernes Pontic born officers make their escape. They ride north, searching for prince Phraotes and redemption.

A madman? Excellent!
    Really nice couple of updates.

Interesting, a madman.

Though aren't those phalangites still Pontic/Hellenistic?

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Summer 222 BC:

The Greek army is vast but these lands belong to Pontus. Nicomedia is a fortress and the Greeks are trapped by it. Unable to advance until it is neutralized.

Now they come again to fruitlessly pound on the cities great walls but Pairisades doesn't plan on letting them leave so easily.
    They are persistent.

Learning from last battle I bought my army out a side gate and marched them around to meet the enemy.

And the computer was again more than happy to wait while leaving it's men to be gunned down by my towers.

Upon arriving I placed my horses on the high ground on my right flank.

And sent my infantry in alone.

With their infantry engaged it was easy to push my horses through their flank.

And when their line broke, intercept the bulk of their army as it tried to run.

Victory.

Terrified men flee before Pairisades cavalry. But they are slow and their armor is heavy. They have no chance of escaping Pontic retribution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter 222 BC:

The time has finally come as Vahauka knew it always would. Time to leave the safety of the city and pursue these horsemen. Open ground is their place and on it they are fearless. Vahauka intends to change that. A Scythian army has been spotted harassing the eastern border. Vahauka orders his men out all the while praying that their training and his military reforms are enough to save them.
    Should be a good fight.

I start off with the Scythians above me on this rise.

And order my men up the hill at a run, hoping to negate the hills advantage.

Only stopping when are armies are within spitting distance. It's hectic like i knew it would be. The Scythians center hanging back, unwilling to directly attack my spears. On the right they are trying to flank but my archers are keeping them suppressed. And on the left it's cavalry and bloody murder.

I catch a big break when their general jumps into the cavalry fray and promptly gets himself killed.

Leaderless their army runs for it. I give case but can only do so much with my slower heavy cavalry.

And before you know it, it's time for an end zone dance and a victory totem.

As the last Scythians scatter before them a great cheer ripples through Vahaukas army. These men are masters on the plains no more. We can beat them, we can drive them back, and we can win!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer 221 BC:

To the south another Vahauka continues his fight against the Ptolemies. As prince Phraotes pushes north seeking to connect with Pontus's home guard Vahauka travels east. His men press still further into the desert seeking the last of the Ptolemies strongholds and the end of this war. An end that once seemed impossible but now seems tantalizingly close.
    These guys just don't know when they're conquered.

Their second army is so small that choose to completely ignore it. Sending my army against theirs and my cavalry wide left to this high ground.

My numbers advantage is obvious. I'm able to easily wrap their left flank.

And their right. All before even bothering to bring my cavalry into the fight.

When I do bring them in it's at a full run, down hill, against their backs. The route is instant and devastating.

A little chase later and I have my victory.

His enemies are scattered and Vahauka has to wonder how much longer these men can hold out. This war is becoming more and more one sided. One day soon it will be over.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Summer 221 BC:

It is summer again, the season for war. Phraotes marches north into the Ptolemaic borderlands. Cut off from the riches of the Nile these men fight on. Phraotes doesn't even bother to conceal his mens movement. Simply marches to the next major town, Hierosolyma, and encircles it.

The remaining Ptolemaic forces are a sad shell of their former glory. They knew where his army was going and that it had a Pontic prince at it's helm. Yet even with reinforcements they are still outnumbered. Phraotes pushes aside his pity. These men are his enemies and he can afford no sympathy for them.
    At least they have one good sized army left.

Good news to start things off.

Being on the defensive I just setup and let them come to their doom.

And move my cavalry to high ground on their flank for the inevitable smash.

Just when my cavalry is settled into the high ground their reinforcements arrive; behind and above them.

Still I'm able to pick off their first army, all according to plan.

One army down I try to turn my army to face the new threat. But their cavalry is on me in a heartbeat and tying up my lines.

They are easy enough to chase down but it takes precious time.

And while I was busy killing their horses our lines met. The angle is all wrong and my right is quickly in trouble.

But my spearmen fight on bravely until I can get my horses around to assist.

My center fairs much better. Putting their hill advantage to good use.

And I quickly have a route on my hands.

Victory.

Phraotes marches into Hierosolyma unopposed. One more town seized. One more refuge denied to his enemies. And one step closer to merging Pontus northern and southern fronts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Vahauka rides east to kill a blind man. The remaining Ptolemies have fled to Petra and Vahauka follows. With them is their prince Teos. The man is beloved by his people. His sightlessness overshadowed by compassion, he is believed to be blessed by the gods. His death will go a long way towards finally breaking the Ptolemies spirits. Vahauka understands the importance of his orders but can't help but find them distasteful.
    I out number them by a pathetic amount.

It was a slaughter. I'll spare you the battle and skip to the end.

Vahauka sits and chats with Teos long into the night. They drink and laugh like old friends. Share tales of past deeds and even failures.

As the sun rises one of Vahaukas officers arrives. The men are assembled, the army ready to go. Vahauka thanks the man warmly and waits to be left alone with his new friend.

A heavy silence falls on them both. Teos is wise man and understands what must happen. Vahauka let's him say his last pray to his gods. Warmly thanking the man for the nights tales before driving a sword through his throat.

It is a quick and clean death. The best Vahauka can offer his new friend. He stands over the fallen man for what seems a long time, his emotions churning, barely contained. When he at last feels like himself again, Vahauka leaves. He mounts his horse and orders his army back into the field.

Etc

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    Last edited by Fouch; November 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

It seems I can't rep you without repping someone else first - but again a great chapter. You really put those horses to great use - impressive.

Strangely enough this AAR makes me want to play at the ptolemies - do they have a good roster in your experience - or just sub-par troops and an excellent starting position?

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Sub-par and an excellent starting position. You'll be in a war against the Seleucid almost immediately so it'll be a lot of phalanx on phalanx battles. Stats wise though the Ptolemies phalangites just aren't as good as anyone elses. I know they gets a combat bonus in deserts but it's never seemed help much. They're just flighty.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Winter 221 BC:

Pairisades death crosses the empire like a tidal wave. He ruled for 35 years. A grand achievement by any standard. Whole generations have grown up knowing no other ruler and without his careful hand they fear for the future. They wonder if his son is up to the task of ruling an empire. Questioning his youth and inexperience.

The elders just smile at this nervous, youthful pessimism. No kingdom is defined by a single man and these naysayers have forgotten three important things.

First Phraotes was not arbitrarily chosen to lead but rather picked because of his skill. He was hand picked by old king Pairisades. As wise a king has Pontus ever had he wouldn't let sentimentality cloud his vision. If he chose his son it was because he genuinely believed him to be the best man to succeed him.

Second they forget that a young king can still be a good king. Pairisades was after all, two years younger than Phraotes when he took the throne. No disasters followed his ascension. Instead a continuation of a Pontic golden age and continued, steady expansion of the empire.

And lastly they forget the strength of the empire. Pontus has great strength in her blood. More than could be squandered by any one king. Even if Phraotes proves himself a dismal failure and a fool, Pontus will live on.
    Phraotes. King Phraotes tears are long dry. His father is buried and the funeral games are long ended. Now he faces his first true test as a ruler. Intaphernes.

His cousin is a constant drag. He refuses to temper his behavior even when faced with clear evidence of its rebellious consequences. To the south are towns famously disloyal to the Ptolemies. If Intaphernes promises of liberty are the slightest bit true these men are his allies. But they refuse to pay tribute to Pontus and have begun to raise armies. Rebellion is too strong a word but they are still an obvious threat to Pontic security. So let Intaphernes, freshly overlooked for the throne, march south. Let his men choose thier loyalty. Will they stand with their brothers or will they follow Intaphernes and Pontus to war?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ichthysades marches out on his first battle alone. Not truly alone. An army surrounds him and follows his every order. Alone in the sense that for the last decade he has fought every battle alongside his uncle, king Pairisades.

He never appreciated how much simpler it was to follow than to lead. Now Ichthysades finds himself helplessly entangled. He is trapped in two fights. While he leads an army to repel these Greek invaders, back at court waits the fight he fears the most. Phraotes has named him as heir apparent. It is a great honor but it is also politics. A rift has grown between the king and Intaphernes. A rift into which Ichthysades has been throw. Used as a wedge to drive Intaphernes, his brother, further from power. How Ichthysade hates it.

"Fine then", he thinks to himself. "Let's get this fight over with so I can get home to continue my other."
    What whey lack in quantity they sure do make up for with quality. Hypaspists and Armoured Phalangites, great.

The Greeks start of with a great spot above me on a hill.

I set my army into formation inside so it was easy to move them out in formation. Still it took forever for all of them to wedge out of one gate. In the boredom I moved my cavalry out a side door.

Their movement did not go unnoticed by the computer which quickly sent their cavalry and hypaspists after them.

Which turned out great for me. The only horses they had were their captains squad which I was able to quickly run off the battle field.

Next came their hypaspists.

They got the same warm greeting.

Those units broken they moved up their remaiming hypaspists and even their doryphoroi to cover their flank. This was everything they had left that wasn't a phalangite.

They got the same treatment.

It might looks like a slaughter but I was actually pretty nervous. My generals bodyguards was under a quarter strength and I was micro-managing him just to keep him alive.

With just their phalanxes left it was time for my infantry to contribute. Infantry which were just barely out of the gate.

Still for all their dawdling my infantry carried the day. With my numbers advantage I simply ignored the hill and attacked. Quickly encircling their army.

It wasn't long until I was chasing their survivors from the field.

And claiming a victory.

Ichthysades sets his men into formation. Even after a hard battle their motions are crisp and clean. Years of service under his uncle have forged them into one of the finest armies anywhere. He can't help but smile at the sight. A smile that pushes aside the gloom in his mind. He allows himself a moment to forget about politics and simply revel in a victory won.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Summer 220 BC:

Vahaukas march carries him farther into the desert and farther from Teos corpse. Both are equally in his mind.

Somewhere out here is a large Ptolemaic force. One whose destruction Vahauka must see to personally.

The vanguards ride in, tossing up a dust trail in their wake that will surely lead even an idiot back to his army. Still the news is good. A large Ptolemaic force has been spotted to the east, based out of a small oasis fed town. His men were able to attack their patrols and even now an army marches out, seeking vengeance. On the horizon Vahauka can see the dust cloud of the approaching army and sets his officers about preparing the men for a fight.
    Surprised they have any good generals left. Make no mistake, this war is over in all the ways that matter.

It was actually their small force that attacked me. So the first thing I did was get my army turned around to face their real threat.

Which left their single phalangite to my horses.

Poor guys. Throw.

Chase.

And on to the main fight.

Being on the defensive I'd usually just sit back and let them come to me. Unfortunately they had elite archers in their army; Syrian and Merchant Marines. They were doing some real damage, especially to my unshielded axemen, so I was forced to go them.

I got my phalanxes moving forward and ordered my flankers to attack individual units. I came up a bit sort on my right though, left with just one unit of spearmen to tackle a phalangite. So that's where my horses went.

I got a route quick enough and turned my attention back to the main fight. To my surprise I really wasn't needed. Most of the enemies were already running.

And all I had to do was get my horses chasing their stragglers.

Victory.

A victory but this army was too small. They were foolish enough to march out without their full strength and for that Vahauka is grateful. But that still leaves another enemy army to content with. The fight is far from over and Vahauka makes sure his men know it. It's time to chase them home and finish them.

I love this AAR! Pontus is one of my favorite factions but I've never invaded Egypt before taking the Easter Mediterranean coast. I may need to try that in my next campaign. + rep!

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Thanks Centurion, I'm glad you're enjoying the ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Critics Quill just put out a new issue, including a review of this AAR. If you're interested you can find it here.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=407041

Skantarios was nice enough to write up the review so you might think about tossing a little rep love his way.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Winter 220 BC:

Vahauka runs his tongue over his lips. Distantly aware of his dry mouth. Parched not from the desert heat but from sheer terror. It scratches at the back of his mind, threatening to tear free and send him into a panic. To make him worthless when his men need him most. He pushes his fear aside and closes his eyes. Letting himself drift back to the old days when he'd followed his father to war.

His fathers voice echoes in his mind, as clear now as in his childhood.

"What do you see?"

Vahauka opens his eyes and is amazed. He can see it. All folding out in front of him like a beautiful tapestry. The Ptolemies army has ambushed them. Their force is pathetically small but that doesn't matter. They are only a distraction. While this small force pins his army the Ptolemies main force will have time to advance and broadside them. It is a trap. In his impetuousness he's walked right into it and dragged his men along to die.

Vahauka curses his own stupidity. An insult he hardly deserves for even as it passes his lips a plan is forming in his mind. Vahauka orders the retreat. Using his horsemen to screen them as they flee. His men want to fight on but they are good soldiers. When they are told to run they run. Not a panicked flight but an organized retreat. Following their general as he roars his voice hoarse.

"Fall back! Into the rocks!"
    Really surprised to find such a big army way out here. Would have thought they'd have their main forces north around Antioch.

I started to setup as usual but then I took a look at that big outcropping in front of me.

I split my my army down the middle. The right half holding the right of the rocks. Giving my archers a great perch.

And my left half mirroring them on the other side.

When both enemy armies went to my right so did my horses; stretching my line to guard against their attempt to outflank me.

Did I mention what a great spot my archers had?

While their horses foolishly suicided themselves on my waiting spears.

My horses were free to engage their phalangites. They were scattered, allowing me to pick them off one at a time.

All while the other half of my infantry slowly rotated around the rocks, setting the back of the killbox.

My horses closed the box.

And the battle became a slaughter.

A little chasing later and victory.

The tables have turned and now the Ptolemies are on the run. Falling for the same stupid trick they had play on Vahauka. They chased his men into the rocky hills far from the good ground their commander had chosen for his ambush.

The fight is over, the dead counted and Vahauka finally has time to think. To realize all the many things that could have gone wrong. All the ways he could have died today. His hands shake. Something he is careful to hide from his men.

In the years to come he will look back on this day fondly. Not because of the victory but because it was the first time he realized he'd lost his taste for war.

Nice update. You've inspired me to start a Pontus campaign - only I decided to in vanilla, using Decimus Milo's Numidian tactics. Definitely going to have to export it to XGM

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

I'm inspirational. Gonna make me blush here.

And good call on Decimus Milo's Numundia AAR. I looked that one up and have been reading it on my breaks this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I was planning to do a post tonight but my games acting a bit buggy. Conflict from another mod. Been meaning to do a full reinstall to clean things up for weeks now but kept putting it off. No worries though. Have my save games all nice and safe.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/TTL_Fouch/Pontic%20AAR/Work.jpg?t=1292109925

Should have a new post up in the next few days.

Good to hear. His Roman and Scottish ones are good too, not finished the Scottish one yet though.

Definitely a lot harder to use his tactics in XGM though!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast