Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Conquered, we conquer.

Default Re: Conquered, we conquer.

Too many towns making 1000+ a turn for it to be add_money cheats. e.g. Nicomedia: 6534, which is enough to still make a profit after Pergamon and and Sinope having a combined deficit of 5061.

Funkyrobbie's Avatar Civis

nice going good work hope your not useing add_money cheat wreck games I DESPISE THEM!!!!!!! apart from when your messing around and i dont mind toogle_fow nothing else.........i hope you aint cheating but anyways nice going if i were you i would conquer all of egypt and probs hit up on carthage terriotry then rome probs be about and fight those little roman ***** ^^

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

I never cheat in AAR's and really try to avoid it in general. Wheneven I cheat I almost always end up quitting my campaign. Takes all flavor out of a game.

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

lol i was just kidding, keep posting your fantastic campaign man!!
    Đông Doanh Đệ Nhất Tiểu Suất Ca-Thạch Mỹ Na Tử

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Don't worry I haven't forgotten you. Work and life have been conspiring steal what little free time I have. At the latest I'll have a new post up start of next week but I'm hoping for much sooner.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Been awhile but I'm back. It's been long enough that I feel I owe an explanation for dropping off the map. The long and the short of it is that my parents business computer blew up so I gave them mine. On the bright side I've now built a new rig that puts my old one to shame. You might notice a difference in the graphics as I can now run things at higher resolution without any of the lag and stutter I had before.

That's the good news. Here's the bad. Whenever I move to a new computer I inevitably forget to copy something. No worries I have all my saves. But I did manage to forget my fraps folder. There's going to be a little stagger in the time line as about 6 turns of screenshots I was sitting on were burned alive my a when I reformatted my old rig.

Starting on a post now. Should have it up before bed.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Icon1 Re: Conquered, we conquer.

Story

Vahauka bears the honor of guarding the empires eastern border. These are the old lands, where Pontus began. To the east lay the lands of the Armenians, Pontus's long time brothers and rivals. Vahauka has watched with increasing concerns as these men have been swept aside by a tide from the north. The Sythians.

Vahauka trains his men daily. Silently hoping that rumor of their strength will reach the Sythians and deter them. All while preparing for a war that seems inevitable. A war that starts in the north, at Amasia.

These lands are sacrosanct. The first of the Pontic lands, where the empire began. Vahauka rallies his army and gets them rolling north. Counting on the strength of Pontic spirits to break a siege.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Good to come back with a bang.

Things start off with these two messages popping up.

Neither of which I can remember ever seeing before.

I setup my horses to anchor my left flank. A good call as they were on top of me in just a few heartbeats.

I kept my horses moving and picking off any individual unit that was dumb enough to get caught by my heavy cav.

With my horses getting tattered by constant battle and arrows some reinforcements finally arrived. Not mine and on my opposite flank.

I rotated my archers around to give what cover I could. Then used my cavalry to pin the last of their first army against my spears. When I bounced back to my right I found the Sythians running...

Just as I was scratching my head about that bit of good fortune my reinforcements finally arrived. And just in time to catch the last remnants of their first army.

Poor guys.

And that was all she wrote. A victory but I definitely need to rethink my armies along this border.

Vahauka watches the last Sythian disappear over the horizon and slowly releases a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. Today was a victory but these enemies are far from broken. They will be back and Vahauka vows that he will be prepared.

Oh hey, a defensive war.

Quality update as always. Though perhaps phalangites are not that suited to fighting the Scythians?

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Good for catching arrows with their faces. I've been using six phalangites as the core of my armies but they're just too slow to chase horses.

lol, you should recruit some median cavalry 2 fight the scythian. btw this great AAR is made possible by Fouch and knguyen ^^

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Yes Knguyen, thanks for the help getting my saved games running on windows 7. As for Medians, I doubt I'll use them simply because recruitment for them is over by Ecabatana. I'm currently thinking something like phase out phalangite, maybe entirely. Then double the number of heavy cav and archers.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

With the death of Dionysiphes the Egyptian campaign has fallen to his sons Intaphernes and Ardumanish. Today years of positioning pay off. Ardumanish leads his army against one of the prizes of the Ptolemaic empire, the ancient city of Memphis.

He has spent years fighting over desert. Now his men march through green lands. He can smell the Nile and feel it's moisture on his skin. His men can feel it too and the effects are intoxicating. They march with a new vigor; smiles on their faces and mirth obvious in their voices, despite the coming battle.
    Here we go.

I start things off with my shiny new onagers by knocking two holes in the wall.

And when they moved up men to guard the breaches I moved up my archers.

Once they were softened up I breached in force and simply batted aside their defenders with my shear numbers.

With their towers still manned I left my slow infantry safely behind and rushed my cavalry to the courtyard.

A little javelin tossing later and it was time to smash them.

And win.

The enemy prisoners sit placidly in the shade. Doctors tend to some and priests to those beyond saving. It has been hours since the battle and their blind fear has gradually given way to boredom.

Ardumanish approaches the men and addresses them plainly.

"Today you can go free. All that is required is your oath before your comrades and your gods that you will never again raise a weapon against a Pontic citizen."

This said Ardumanish motions and his guards are quick to force the men into a line before him.

Ardumanish faces the first man .

"Do you swear to never again threaten a citizen of Pontus?"

His only response is to spit on the generals robes. Ardumanish watches with sadness as his guards spear passes through the mans neck. A audible ripple moves through the crowd and Ardumanish is quick to seize it. He steps over the dying man and places his hand gently and the next mans shoulder.

Pity in his voice Ardumanish speaks.

"It is a not a hard thing. Say the words and you can go free."

Trembling, perhaps with fear, perhaps with shame the man is quick to give his oath and be lead away. One by one they all pledge, their bravery stolen by the sight of their friends blood, still draining onto the street.

Nice spin on the post-battle. Will rep again when I can.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Story

Winter 229 BC:

Alexandria is the endgame. The final prize in the Nile. Vahauka harasses it endlessly. Today those efforts have paid off. His scouts report on a major Ptolemaic army marching out, surely hoping to force him out of their territory.

His makeshift camps location is no secret. He's been careful to leak it, hoping for just this kind of outcome. Constant small raids draw blood but this is a chance to strike a real blow against the Ptolemies.

His army is into motion in a flash; man and beast watered, fed and ready for battle.
    I love defensive fights. So much nicer when they come to you.

I setup on this convenient hill and preoccupied myself with picking off some of their skirmisher cavalry.

A little nudging with my cavalry and they smashed right into the middle of my line.

Fold in the wings and call them done.

With their main army smashed their cavalry ran and my horse were just too heavy to follow.

Victory.

All smiling faces and cheering voices. A triumph and one more step towards Alexandria.

Phraotes is no ordinary man. He is a kings son and heir of Pontic empire. He leads a grand army. A gift from his late uncle and a great responsibility from his father.

Despite his age he is regarded as the finest military mind in the empire. But having never lead men in battle that opinion doesn't go far. Today he proves his worth. Or dies bravely. He will allow for no other possibilities.
    This army has served me well but they are completely ill suited to fighting horses. As such they're all pretty expendable.

I rushed the gate with all of my swordsmen. More suicidal than I'd like but necessary all the same.

Outnumbered their thorakitai didn't last long and I quickly had men on the walls.

And my army rolling toward the courtyard.

I sent my remaining infantry in from one road. And once they were engaged brought my horses around behind the enemies. The javelin fire was devastating.

And victory.

A victory and enemy blood on his hands. Phraotes trembles. Not with fear but with exhilaration. It is done. He will be be king. All his life has lead to this moment and only now does he see it was all a test. The real challenges begin today.
    Last edited by Fouch; September 25, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

What can I say anymore? Yr AAR look so cool. Y dont u sign up for an AAR monthly competition?

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

There's a contest?

Yep, it's a monthly thing. The super-long AARs with already established fanbases usually win though. Nothing wrong with submitting anyway, expands your readership.

Back on topic, really epic battle screenshots. Maybe it's my imagination, but the screenshots have looked distinctly better since you upgraded your rig. Looking forward to seeing more of Phraotes. How old is he exactly? Seven command is pretty high for a rookie!

Quote Originally Posted by Fouch View Post
    There's a contest?
    Post your AAR here, gotta get some prize if you win any month contest

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Phraotes is nineteen. He came of age with 7 stars and the first thing I did was give him an army.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast