Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Recruitement System

Default The Recruitement System

We intend to make recruitment system unique and apply it to the City States constitutions

Given that we shall have unlimited resources, we will give the major Greek Cities its own unique hoplites maybe reaching a number of 60 "independent city hoplites" if that will be doable eventually. That means that when you conquer a city and obtain hegemony on it then you can recruit there it's unique hoplites.

For example if you play with Argos, you conquer Mantineia, you recruit there Mantinian hoplites and not Argive hoplites. But to make sure that you will not end up to lead armies with hardly any hoplites of your own faction-city, if you keep Mantineia city for some time and build "kleros" building then gradually you will have access on Argive hoplites as well.....similar for Barbarian (non Greek) provinces some of which will give certain factions access to their own special units.

Of course you will not see Spartans homoioi or hippeis lead by another faction than Lacedaimonians....same you will not see a Greek faction recruiting Persian "Immortals"

Also there will be a kind of ZoR. We have planned 8 different ZoRs with zone units varying from 4 to 8 in number.
    Depending to the faction, the faction-specific unit number will also vary. While we progress the mod and put together the things we create, there will be adaptation and alterations to the plan depending on the game limitations and game play needs.

All these plans need to be tested on field by the coder and we have to wait for the new map to be completed in order to do so.

-------

We are open to useful suggestions.
    Last edited by apostate; December 16, 2005 at 08:04 PM.
    ...but innocence was lost long ago

How long will it take to obtain hegemony? Will it be 10 turns to get the AOR Auxilaries like it is in RTR or fewer? I would suggest the ability to get generic auxilaries(archers, peltasts, etc.) in 4 turns, generic cavalry in 6 and localized hoplites and cavalry(if you would like to implement that) in 8.

Ricgard the issue of how many turns will take should better be tested in game

the units designed for ZoRs are mostly auxiliary/backup and lesser troops....since u mentioned archers that will not inexisting in hoplite ZoR (which includes most provicnes) and generally archers will be also unavailable to half of greek factions...(like sparta for instance)

--------

fenrir i m setting up forum but i want to answer to some posts too....i ll post for now with moderator account and then chnage to apostate...is it ok?
    Last edited by apostate; November 24, 2005 at 05:56 PM.

This sounds a bit like the Client Kingdoms mod. Why not give that a whirl, see how you like it? Let me try to find a link...

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanCaesar
    This sounds a bit like the Client Kingdoms mod. Why not give that a whirl, see how you like it? Let me try to find a link...
    sure....bring the link

A word of caution, Make sure combat in interesting, Age of Hellas suffered from the bland hoplite combat. Were essnetially everyone had the same units with different skin and stats. You guys need to by very careful about this, otherwise your idea's seem good, Hegemony, ZOR, etc.

-Revan

I would suggest taht if they conquered Mantineia they would get "conscripted" or "impressed" mantineian hoplites instead of full fledged mantineia hoplites. That way, the best units remain unique to a single city for an extended time. Leveling up to get the kind of hoplites from your own city is a little pointless if the hoplites you can already recruit are just of good. It would also increase the value of the home city if thats where the absolute best troops are for a while. It will also make other cities harder to conquer since the best troops will fight for their city and the worst will fight to conquer other cities for others.
    Given any number of random, even contradictory metaphysical postulates, a justification, however absurd, can be logically developed.

Mapping advances anybody can use. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

Decanus

A word of caution, Make sure combat in interesting, Age of Hellas suffered from the bland hoplite combat. Were essnetially everyone had the same units with different skin and stats. You guys need to by very careful about this, otherwise your idea's seem good, Hegemony, ZOR, etc.
    The units of Age of Hellas were all wip. The team was waiting for good modeler and Dark came. Even though a lot of hopliets were the same a lot of people liked them. The stats were all just given not the finall for the hoplites. It didnt succede because the lack of new models but because of other reasons.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
    - Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by deadcell87
    The units of Age of Hellas were all wip. The team was waiting for good modeler and Dark came. Even though a lot of hopliets were the same a lot of people liked them. The stats were all just given not the finall for the hoplites. It didnt succede because the lack of new models but because of other reasons.
    I never said that's why it failed, but I played the Beta release/test and couldn't stand it. Everything was essentially a charge and that was it. Granted there wasn't much Cavalry/Ranged units. But if the bread and butter (i.e. The Melee Infantry) has no variations, and it's all just the same model reskinned, then it doesn't matter much. Another bad thing I saw in my limited experiance with it, was that units didn't stay in formation, they just all clustered at the front, with no concept of ranks or lines. You guys should at least include Sword Hoplite style units (Like SPQR mod), if you haven't already. Just my two cents, I'd like to see a good, interesting Greek mod. Even if AoH had succeded, I still wouldn't have played it due to crappy battles.

-Revan

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

AoH beta was released long before we wanted to release it due to its sheer popularity amongst mod players. We did not have a 3d modeller of any real skill at the time as the one we had at the start joined the marines... hence the lack of models.

Rest assured you will find this a much more interesting and diverse challenge.. not too mention more asthetically pleasing.
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    You guys should at least include Sword Hoplite style units (Like SPQR mod)
    i dont know that mod but i doubt if there ever will be amod for rtw which has better and more accuarte hoplites with sword or spear or anything than we have

...since shield wall doesnt allow us to use more than one weapon most units will have spears
    ...but some specific units like marines or Thespians will come with a type of sword that they historically used...

---------------

also....
    -we will use a version of shield wall probable so we have discipline in ranks
    -we have as much as 40 brand new models already and we go on making more.....
    -cavalry is few or none in Peloponnesos,Attica and Crete but elsewhere there is interesting cavalry of varius types
    Last edited by apostate; November 26, 2005 at 01:17 PM.

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

apostate, these are basicly what SPQR has, except they don't have the formal shield wall.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    I never said that's why it failed, but I played the Beta release/test and couldn't stand it. Everything was essentially a charge and that was it. Granted there wasn't much Cavalry/Ranged units. But if the bread and butter (i.e. The Melee Infantry) has no variations, and it's all just the same model reskinned, then it doesn't matter much. Another bad thing I saw in my limited experiance with it, was that units didn't stay in formation, they just all clustered at the front, with no concept of ranks or lines. You guys should at least include Sword Hoplite style units (Like SPQR mod), if you haven't already. Just my two cents, I'd like to see a good, interesting Greek mod. Even if AoH had succeded, I still wouldn't have played it due to crappy battles.

-Revan
    Rest assured that this will be nothing like AOH. The AOH project and especially the beta was unbalanced and rushed. Hegemonia will be much much better. The team is looking very closely into balancing the mod and there is great variation with models and skins. There will be many variants of city and area specific troops. The Hellenic warfare will have more flavour and will be more diverse guaranteed.

Important:
    You have to remember that Hegemonia has nothing to do and is not related to AOH. Do not compare this to AOH.

You have to realize this is a new mod with many new talented members. I have seen their work in development and you will be amazed.

Thanks DEMETRIOUS II...this looks like neverending story hahahaha...
    Guys only same is that some of members were at AofH...thats all ... and thats very helped this mod at start, but now is here more new members than "old" AofH members :wink:

apostate, these are basicly what SPQR has,
    What SPQR had?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen
    apostate, these are basicly what SPQR has, except they don't have the formal shield wall.
    No no no my friend. SPQR only has generic and historically inaccurate sword hoplites. The sword units in Hegemonia will all be historically accurate units and not "made up" as in SPQR. Please don't make generalizations, did you not see the pics that Apostate posted? There is nothing like that in SPQR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen
    i havent play such mods but its out of question that they have better hoplites than ours...u must be a retard or something to believe this...

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Hehe, never said that they were better, but they have the same basic feel that these troops give me. True, they have a different helm, but they are ment to be historical, just to fill an important role that was most likey (i have no claims on historian) filled by similar troops. The post was mainly to clarify that yes, you do have sword hoplites like in SPQR.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Fenrir
    Thanks DEMETRIOUS II...this looks like neverending story hahahaha...
    Guys only same is that some of members were at AofH...thats all ... and thats very helped this mod at start, but now is here more new members than "old" AofH members :wink:
    Old who are you calling old.........what was I talking about?

Hehe, never said that they were better, but they have the same basic feel that these troops give me. True, they have a different helm, but they are ment to be historical, just to fill an important role that was most likey (i have no claims on historian) filled by similar troops. The post was mainly to clarify that yes, you do have sword hoplites like in SPQR.
    Yes we understand but most of the SPQR swordunit are very unhistorical because ther still have the corinthian hoplite ( I still love the mod it was very fun).
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast