Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elder scrolls IV Oblivion

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Default Elder scrolls IV Oblivion

Well its a definite buy for a morrowind freak like me.
    It is a definite next generation game if u ask me, I mean have you seen the forests?
    If you dont know what im talking about check these out:
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/702/702491/vids_1.html

So what do you guys think?

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

I'm duely impressed and I will buy it when I have the right hardware to run it on, which means there'll probably be the Gold Edition out already. If the game is still as large and offers as much freedom as Morrowind, coupled with these graphics and details, then it's gonna be one amazing game.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

it sure is! Its release date is set to 06-03-31 atleast here in sweden. My new powerfull computer comes around december-january so it is very good timing to say the least. It ensures that it will run smooth.
    Old pc: 256 RAM 60GB harddrive. Graphics: GForce 3
    New pc: 2000RAM 500GB Harddrive Graphics: The latest of course!

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Been looking forward to this. I hope they've included some better stealth-system though.

Proud member of the fat polar bears from Norway TWC community consisting of me, me and me.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

The game looks amazing.
    But just watching the video was enough for my computer to start smoking.

Yeah cant wait for Oblivion if they retain the gameplay of older games with those graphics and length of the game it will be fantastic. Really begining to hate these crappy games that can be played start to finish in 4-5 hours (*cough* Gun) with no replayability.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede
    So what do you guys think?
    I think my computer was crying when I visited that site.

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

I have never gotten into it... The combat system looks very repetitive. Is it good, or as bad as it looks? (button mashing?)

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

it looks real good to me..
    it makes me want to get xbox 360 (i think it would be better on that and better to play, as i have grown up with zelda on N64)
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.

Civitate

drool...drool...mmm Elder scrolls. Its a bloody shame that they delayed it, I bought a new graphics card and a power supply just for this game. But knowing Bethesda it will be well worth it. I can't wait till they release Fallout 3 though...

Those vids are on the highest settings, Im sure you guys could play it on lower settings...hey if it works on a xbox it should work on a mid range pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuwix
    I have never gotten into it... The combat system looks very repetitive. Is it good, or as bad as it looks? (button mashing?)
    The combat can become repetitive yes but depends on how you play the game. It's not button mashing though, it more typical RPG i.e build up your skills and you can aim better and hit more. I still havent finished exploring the world of Morrowind that game was bloody huge. Get this game I gurantee you will enjoy it (can't say the same for alot of games these days).

Quote Originally Posted by danzig
    Really begining to hate these crappy games that can be played start to finish in 4-5 hours (*cough* Gun) with no replayability.
    Games are just not what they used to be...a game from the 90's Fallout and Fallout 2 had more character than most of the crap that they call games that's released these days.
    "In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality." - Karl Marx on Capitalism
    Under the patronage of the venerable Marshal Qin. Proud member of the house of Sybian.

Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS)

Games are just not what they used to be...a game from the 90's Fallout and Fallout 2 had more character than most of the crap that they call games that's released these days.
    No kidding man, give me the Fallout series, the old Ultima games hell even The Bard's Tale. Only really good rpg type games have been from Bethesa and Morrowind and Bioware and their BG series and Knights of Old Republic (though not the 2nd one). Are they really working on Fallout 3 though? I know they got the rights from Interplay sometime last year but havent seen much in way of news, guess maybe after Oblivion atleast I hope so.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Been looking forward to it for a while now. Got real sad back when they announced it wouldn't be out for Christmas. Tomorrow I'll probably be getting an X700pro or something for cheap just so I should be able to play this when it finally comes out(assuming I haven't got my new computer by then, I still need a new card for the time being) They've redone a lot of thing, certain things sound great, other not so good. The combat's redone to use Havok, they got a guy from the Thief series to redo the stealth part so you can use the shadows to help you, magick's redone as well so you can use it with a weapon out. Can't wait for it.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

My beefs with Morrowind were:

1. Combat system - sucked
    2. Magic system - I played Morrowind a year and never got it
    3. Too big, it took me a week to find out what the main quest was

Oblivion:
    1. Awesome new combat system that seems a lot like Mount & Blade's
    2. Magic system made easier
    3. Apparently more direction while keeping it open ended.

Unfortunately, my computer gave a little scream as it saw the video... the graphics will ravage the poor thing. Anally.

New computer time. And I strongly advise against getting it on the 360. The mods for Morrowind were the best part (Better Bodies... hehe)

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

it makes me want to get xbox 360
    Wy on earth would you want to do that for? o_0 Oblivion, as well as morrowind, are games you have to play on hte PC to get the most out of them. And the X-Box 360 isnt that good anyway, yea its got good graphics, but there in no way better then the nVIDIA 7800GT, or most other high end video cards.

My beefs with Morrowind were:

1. Combat system - sucked
    2. Magic system - I played Morrowind a year and never got it
    3. Too big, it took me a week to find out what the main quest was
    1: True
    2: What didnt you get about it? What was hard to understand lol
    3: WT. Thats what was GOOD about Morrowind was the size of the world. You always had something to good, I'm still playing and haven't seen the whole area yet, plus the expansions and mods.

As for Oblivion, I am definately getting it. It was originally scheduled for Nov but they pushed it back to get some more work on it. The NPC AI is also much imporved over ANY RPG on the market. They each have individually programmed "schedules" that they follow. ex: They get hungry, they go find somethign to eat. They need sleep, they go to sleep in their OWN house lol. They dont just disappear.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Kushan
    1: True
    3: WT. Thats what was GOOD about Morrowind was the size of the world. You always had something to good, I'm still playing and haven't seen the whole area yet, plus the expansions and mods.

As for Oblivion, I am definately getting it. It was originally scheduled for Nov but they pushed it back to get some more work on it. The NPC AI is also much imporved over ANY RPG on the market. They each have individually programmed "schedules" that they follow. ex: They get hungry, they go find somethign to eat. They need sleep, they go to sleep in their OWN house lol. They dont just disappear.

Kushan
    You know its sad and great. Sad that we are all excited about NPCs with schedules something that dates back to Commodore 64 days and Ultima series and sad that its taken this long for game developers to 'rediscover' it as feature. Of course its great we'll finally get it in a game again Just hope they dont dumb it down too much with the open ended world, it is the best feature of the game series only thing I want is a more populated world with NPCs outside cities.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Well, Oblivion's AI is new. The AI will actually think, in old days they just scripted npcs to make it look like they were doing regular things.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Kushan
    It made no sense. When I actually FOUND spells I couldn't use them, or when I did they didn't do anything... better to just go with a hefty sword.

Size of the world = good. Pointlessness = bad. I had a lot of trouble and got a little bored wandering around and the quests weren't that much fun. I enjoyed the main quest though (I did Morrowind's, Tribunal's and Bloodmoon's... my real quest in Tribunal was making a lot of money, I got like 2 million )

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

it is the best feature of the game series only thing I want is a more populated world with NPCs outside cities.
    I found like three NPCs on the road to Gnaar Mok from Balmora alone.
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Reserved it at the Babbages over in the next town when I bought Winter Assault. My friend has me all hyped up over it

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by danzig
    Are they really working on Fallout 3 though? I know they got the rights from Interplay sometime last year but havent seen much in way of news, guess maybe after Oblivion atleast I hope so.
    Don't get too excited danzig...but here are a few links (OMG OMG OGMG!! *runs around the room like a kid with ADD on speed* OMG FALLOUT 3!!!)

Bethesda Press Release

Q & A with Bethesda Exec Prod Todd Howard

FAQ with the Bethesda team

Ehem..yes I try not to get too excited though, too much hype can end up ruining a game.
    "In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality." - Karl Marx on Capitalism
    Under the patronage of the venerable Marshal Qin. Proud member of the house of Sybian.

Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast