Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Commonwealth units individuality

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

Default The Commonwealth units individuality

ok, being half scotish and proud, half english and proud, and a bit irih and a bit welsh, i tend to play GB, because of this i felt that a bit of unit diversity is needed in the vanilla game, and would be even better in this game

British Isles:

Scots:
    first off, the english units (at present) are fantastic, but im a bit miffed about the scotish units as all the famous scotish regiments wore a kilt to battle up until about 30 years ago when the DPM's became standard issue (Disruptive Pattern Material) and many units, including the scots 'black watch' scots royal fussileers and king's own royal scots borderers all wore the headress. however i think the 'brown' colour ptly fits us after the ast primeminister heres some pics:

apropriate scotish units

.scots guards/scotish infantry battalion (i detest, repeat detest, commonwealth highland foot,we are british, infact we made britain it was our king not englands!, dont call us commonwealth,it implys were forign)
    .scots hussars/scotish cavalry (or royal scots greys as the major cavalry regiment was known)

okay, so now thats my 'scotish mumble' done

irish and welsh units look similar to english ones, accept for some diffrences

Irish:
    some units wore kilts, although it wasn't a majority, of the 7 regiments that served in ww1 only 3 wore kilts
    they tended to have lighter clothing, and would wear one of these:

apropriate irish units:

.irish guards/irish foot batalion (irish guards,like scots gaurd, is an actual regiment)
    .irish hussars/irish cavalry (irish hussars, like the royal scots greys, is an actual cavalry regiment)

Welsh:
    with no offence intended to mitch i don't think we need to include welsh units, they are identicleto english units, accept maybe a much darker colour (blackey green),plus their stats would be similar in many ways, maybe lower morale but higher close quaters skills?, wate, heres a welsh bearskin cap, but i think it was only for ceremony er since napoleanic times, maybe used in WW1 though:

apropriate welsh units:

.welsh gaurds/welsh foot batalion (welsh guards, as with irish and scots, is an actual regiment)
    .prince's own welsh hussars/welsh cavalry (obviously the first is a regiment, tough it is actually called the prince of wales own border hussar regiment, i shortend it abit )

Common wealth units:

Gibralta:

an overlooked member of the britis empire, that helped greatly in both the first and second world wars, although due to its size it quickly and efficiently put together 2 units of the best artillery regiments in the british empire, both of with are still in service to-date, famed for the use of the 'guns of gibralta' against spain, they defended the 'rock' for nearly 10 years without new supplies, and helped greatly with the war effort, the 2nd gibralTARIAN royal artillery regiment did its defence of her majesty the queen almost a year ago, and did its 21 gun salute (thats alot, most regiments are only alowed to do 10 or 11) at the tower of london

uniform, no pics, the colour of their uniform should look like a cross between english and canadian units, but their clothing should be identicle,maybe with roled up sleeve to represent hotter weather

apropriate Gibraltarian units:
    .commonwealth 1st & 2nd Gibraltarian Artillery (cap of 2, with increased range, acuracy and reload, with only a 2 turn recruitment level)
    .commonwealth gibraltaian foot batalion (cap of 10, with 1 turn recruitment instead of 2 turn, and availible at any construction level, just like conscript batalions)

Gurkhas:

the Gurkhas, does that name not strike fear into the hearts of every enemy, the Gurkhas tend to be dead eye shots even at ling range, but amazing in close combat, especially when using the Kruki (as pictured

as for uniform, i think brown coloured just like scotish units, with oriental asian character's would suit (noo argguments) as for the headress, theywore hats very similar to aussie units, but without any badge and without the rim being bent, also officers banner bearers and musicians etc were al white british, as has always been the case

apropriate Ghurka units:

.commonwealth ghurka foot batalion

Austalians:

the aussys are pretty much done, so i shalnt include what the units should be calld or anything, only the hats:

India:

well, need i say anymore, the sepoys wern't used all tgat much in europe,but i think there were 1 or 2 units, jsut including these for the heck of it, the colour would be cream, low acuracy, low reload, high morale high close quarters,medium recruitment cost dueto transportation, heres a pic:

apropriate indian units:

.commonwealth sepoy battalion
    .commonwealth indian camel riders

South Africa:

the south african regiments fighting for the british were very loyal, and were segregated (blacks/whites) almost all south african units fighting for britain in ww1 were white, and those that were black had white officers (i think there was 1 black regiment that fought in ww1 from south africa)

apropriatesouth african units:

.commonwealth african foot batalion
    .commonwealth african cavalry

i think thats if (for now) if i find anmore or if i've forgotte some ill edit this OP, new zealand and canada have been ignored because i think they are as spot on as is possible ATM, please comment (helpfully )
    "If a pro is the opposite of a con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Commonwealth units individuality

Guys guys don't be fooled, this is just a ploy by Mayan-Man to defeat me in our current rep war, so while this is fantastic information and the team should definitely consider using it, whatever you do, don't rep him!!

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

What if I rep your both, him for the facts and you for S's & G's

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Good information!

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

nice post and nice research, sry audacia but he deserves the +rep

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

DEV TEAM OFFICIAL +REP

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

LOL...

The Indian, Egypto-African and Arab units are a must for the Egypt GC, and they should also be limited expensive units in the main GC.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    Guys guys don't be fooled, this is just a ploy by Mayan-Man to defeat me in our current rep war, so while this is fantastic information and the team should definitely consider using it, whatever you do, don't rep him!!
    NOO! your foiling my plans gods damn it! p.s audacia we must try some tgw MP

a lot of the above is slightly incorrect

Welsh

Welsh units didn't wear bearskins in ww1. They wore standard caps; many Welsh regiments actually recruited in England as well as wales so I can't see any point in differentiating.

My great grandfather was Irish living in Lancashire but was recruited in England to fight for a welsh regiment in 1914.

Scottish

The last scottish units to wear a kilt in battle [other than pipers] were in 1940. Kilt Is accurate for WW1 for some [not all] Scottish regiments.

Sepoys

There were 3 indian divisions who fought on the Western front but the 2 infantry divisions were withdrawn after 1915 due to high officer casualties. If they are included in the game, they should be expensive - the ORs weren't expensive, but the officers were. Only white officers were allowed in WW1 but they had to speak the appropriate indian language for the battalion. Replacing officers was therefore very difficult as you needed British officers who spoke Urdu, Hindustani etc.

Irish

I'm not aware of any Irish regiments wearing kilts in battle in WW1 - all wore standard uniform
    Last edited by woodyudet17; August 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by woodyudet17 View Post
    a lot of the above is slightly incorrect

Welsh

Welsh units didn't wear bearskins in ww1. They wore standard caps; many Welsh regiments actually recruited in England as well as wales so I can't see any point in differentiating.

My great grandfather was Irish living in Lancashire but was recruited in England to fight for a welsh regiment in 1914.

Scottish

The last scottish units to wear a kilt in battle [other than pipers] were in 1940. Kilt Is accurate for WW1 for some [not all] Scottish regiments.

Sepoys

There were 3 indian divisions who fought on the Western front but the 2 infantry divisions were withdrawn after 1915 due to high officer casualties. If they are included in the game, they should be expensive - the ORs weren't expensive, but the officers were. Only white officers were allowed in WW1 but they had to speak the appropriate indian language for the battalion. Replacing officers was therefore very difficult as you needed British officers who spoke Urdu, Hindustani etc.

Irish

I'm not aware of any Irish regiments wearing kilts in battle in WW1 - all wore standard uniform
    he's right about the sepoys and the irish... i just checked
    Last edited by Mayan-Man; March 06, 2015 at 08:25 AM.

is it possible for a gurkhas unit to make it like wen some skimishers units in vanilla get in melee they take out swords use that with the kurkuri knife

Quote Originally Posted by Shugo560 View Post
    is it possible for a gurkhas unit to make it like wen some skimishers units in vanilla get in melee they take out swords use that with the kurkuri knife
    Indeed mate, it is possible. Although the team might have to make the kukri models if they're not already in-game.
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

Half the uniforms and stuff you posted inst correct for ww1.

Also, I like the Gurkhas, this mod needs more "super-elite units" if you get my meaning, and more diversity.
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

THANK YOU!! I have been telling Mitch to implement the Royal Irish Regiment but, im sure this will sway him.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Indeed mate, it is possible. Although the team might have to make the kukri models if they're not already in-game.
    sssssh! Thats OUR idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayan-Man View Post
    please read my post, i wrote 99% of that down, duh...?
    I did read your post, hence I posted up where there were inaccuracies...

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

1. nice research
    2. arent you proud to be a bit Irish and abit Welsh too

Thats a great guide and must be used!!!! But I dont think Irish regiments wore kilts in battle and all scottish highland regiments wore kilts i.e Black Watch, Gordon Highlanders. But lowland regiments such as the Royal Scots or the HLI didnt ware kilts but wore glengarrys or Tam O'shanters head gear before 1916.
    Last edited by ♔Black Watch 42♔; August 21, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
    The King over the water!

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

I can confirm kilts will be possible next release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast