Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: FOR LAND, LADY AND THE GRAIL!

RedDwarf's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: FOR LAND, LADY AND THE GRAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔BayonetFodder♔ View Post
    Screw RL!!!!

Im back.......

Lads and Lasses give me a few days to get my head around it all and i will be on form again.......and on site.

Yours in Chivalry

BF
    WB
    "When In doubt? Belive the person with the bloodier weapon!"
    "When you need to shoot. Shoot, don't talk!" Tuco

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

I have models somewhere...

Krystoforos's Avatar Biarchus

Screw RL!!!!

Im back.......

Lads and Lasses give me a few days to get my head around it all and i will be on form again.......and on site.

Yours in Chivalry

BF
    Great news!

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Welcome back! This is great

Excellent

Don't want to be the bad guy playing with the nerves of the modders , but I'm really interested in this submod.
    When will it be finished? How much is done?

Sorry...

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Screw RL!!!!

Im back.......

Yours in Chivalry

BF
    YAY!!!!! You're back!!

Now we can finally get this mod started

yes!!! now we can see brettonia in all of its ultimate power!!!
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and i set the hounds on you

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Right just a quickie:
    i am re-gathering all the resources to see exactly where we are at. My measly days off only come on Monday and Tuesday next week so that is my target for updating the front page with what we have and get some interest generated again.. so keep your eyes peeled.

Will the knights be pretty strong to stay in pro longed melee or will they have to use hit and run tactics?

I ask this because when cavalry gets bogged down in infantry they usually get wiped out unless you pull them out.

Welcome back, looking forward to this alot, along with the awesome sandbox campaign for 1.4.4

I wish i could do something for these mods but i'm a crackpipe when it comes to coding / modding / texturing & the like

Will the knights be pretty strong to stay in pro longed melee or will they have to use hit and run tactics?
    i am aiming for the exotics and the standard knights to have the hit power like Rohan riders do in TATW, but with low stamina so at most you will get 1-2 seriously damaging charges out of them.

Light horse will have the the hit and run tactics.

Going back to the real medieval warfare, your knights are your last line to rout or break a strong enemy formation while your levy infantry will soak up the main brunt of the attack supported by archers and hopefully a few magical exotics.

i am aiming for the exotics and the standard knights to have the hit power like Rohan riders do in TATW, but with low stamina so at most you will get 1-2 seriously damaging charges out of them.

Light horse will have the the hit and run tactics.

Going back to the real medieval warfare, your knights are your last line to rout or break a strong enemy formation while your levy infantry will soak up the main brunt of the attack supported by archers and hopefully a few magical exotics.
    Oh okay because I am picturing an all cavalry force to CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel Ezekiel View Post
    Oh okay because I am picturing an all cavalry force to CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Hmmm it was an option... but with Rohan in TATW i wanted something slightly more unique for the Bretonnians.

Also an Army that compliments their makeup, which is Knight heavy but not all predominantly cavalry

Just digging up some old suggestions of mine now that the submod is active again..

Quote Originally Posted by Peltast View Post
    Re: Better infantry, would it make sense to have that as units of peasants with fair to good morale represented by a peasant unit with a dismounted knight as an officer? It isn't practical to keep a unit of knight around every peasant unit, but having a knight-led peasant unit is both lore-accurate (see the Brettonian novels) and rules accurate (duty of the peasant; Brettonian 7th Ed). These 'led' peasant units would have a slight leadership effect to represent the duty of the peasant rule and have higher morale for itself. It can also have slightly (maybe 1 or 2) higher attack or defence to represent the pick of the peasants fighting under a knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltast View Post
    thinking about the proper balancing of the Bretonian roster...

In order to represent both how Bretonia has a larger pool of knights to draw from but also a somewhat more backwards economic system, and to achieve balance, I suggest the following amendment to the current AOR knight system.

Knights should be available in two tiers:
    -Tier 2: Lance
    A half-strength unit of knights available at both castles and cities, at slightly higher (perhaps 20% or so) maintenance cost than an equivalent sized unit of knights in the Empire, recruitment time, one turn, pool replenishment reasonably fast; must return to AOR to replenish, to represent a local lord gathering together his immediate family and vassals to answer a call of the local lord; the maintenance cost reflects the abrupt departure of the lord of the demesne and the consequent economic disruption. This is also rules-accurate because Bretonnian knights are 5-15 or less, Imperial knights have no such restriction.

Pro: This unit is small, tactically flexible, and can be raised in reasonable numbers relatively quickly, they also (if the morale-raising aspect of knights is implemented) make peasants more effective, and is in general an admirable local force
    Cons: However, it is relatively vulnerable to casualties and is logistically difficult to manage, since replenishing lost men is not easy. It tend to be limited to a geographical area, and when at full strength an army of these knights is considerably weaker than a similarly full-strength army, since its units are at half-strength, maintenance is also higher

-Tier 1: Squadron
    A full (or even 10 to 20% higher) strength unit of knights available only at castles, and take at least 2 turns to recruit with a slow replenishment pool. Can be replenished anywhere. This represents a much more serious commitment of knights as a higher liege, a count or even a duke calling together a force of knights for a more serious military commitment such as a large greenskin invasion, war with another dukedom or an errantry war. The long training time represent the time it takes to gather the knights, smooth over local politics, get rival families to work together, and train them to fight as one large unit (see the Bretonnian novels for more details). Maintenance cost is normal for a unit of knight that size, as a larger unit of knights would and the longer recruitment time allow the lesser nobles and second sons to gather, and give the knights more time to take care of their affairs, thus lowering the economic disruption.

Pro: This unit is large, powerful, and when raised to a full army is the equal of any in the Old World. Its upkeep cost is also low, and it can fight over a greater geographical area as you can train local knights to fight in the unit.
    Cons: It takes years to amass such a unit of knights and once damaged they are exceedingly hard to replace, making them very valuable and vulnerable. They are also tactically unwieldy and does not work well with peasants.

Combined, this two-tier system should give the Bretonnian player a strategic choice, and also balances it against the other armies.

Also:
    -Bretonnian warhorses: Warhorses for Bretonnian knights should have slightly higher mass than their Empire counterparts to represent the lance formation's punishing charge, without unbalancing it too much.
    -Blessing of the Lady: A slightly higher shield rating to represent this rule
    -Impetuous: as the M2TW rule; for units which have them in the army book

Hmmm it was an option... but with Rohan in TATW i wanted something slightly more unique for the Bretonnians.

Also an Army that compliments their makeup, which is Knight heavy but not all predominantly cavalry
    You could do, but unless it is dismounted knights I won't really use infantry as the hard hitting power is the cavalry. Why spend money and upkeep on a unit which is pretty much going to get pounded against other infantry 90% of the time?

Cavalry all the way! Will there be any hero knights? The green knight?

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel Ezekiel View Post
    You could do, but unless it is dismounted knights I won't really use infantry as the hard hitting power is the cavalry. Why spend money and upkeep on a unit which is pretty much going to get pounded against other infantry 90% of the time?
    You cant attack pikemen and spearmen with a cavalry only army. Besides infantry is part of the tabletop game, so why not include them?

Agreed, infantry are a must, but will brettonia have any form of decent infantry? Like dismounted knights or something of that sort?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and i set the hounds on you

A) knights cant be used to their full extent due to mechanics so infantry is crucial.
    B) Besides a few instances concerning the Mongols and other eastern empires i dont think there was a medieval army around that consisted of just cavalry.
    C) barring actually finding a way to get the light dragoon mechanics from ETW into MTW which would allow the knights to fight to their true potential i cant see it working.
    D)Even Rohan, which is the ultimate Horsey faction, have infantry

Agreed, infantry are a must, but will brettonia have any form of decent infantry? Like dismounted knights or something of that sort?
    They will

Cavalry all the way! Will there be any hero knights? The green knight?
    pray tell how a pure cavalry force lays siege to a Citadel or takes a bridge...... one row of stakes and your army coul theoretically be wiped out.

But of course heroes will be there....

Krystoforos's Avatar Biarchus

Is there any progress in units making? How would You like to implement this submod to COW?