Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [Guide]Stainless Steel General Modding Topic

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [Guide]Stainless Steel 6.3 General Modding Topic

ahhhhhhhh! so that's what i'm missing! thanks a ton

also.. why are the other cards so small but mine so big? (others are like 16 kb mines like 100+)
    Last edited by RollingWave; December 23, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    ahhhhhhhh! so that's what i'm missing! thanks a ton

also.. why are the other cards so small but mine so big? (others are like 16 kb mines like 100+)
    That is a lot of difference lol and basically RLE compression is used to drop in a few KBs i don't use it and it's normal nothing in 100KB though are you using PS? I have that so it shouldn't happen in PS can't say about GIMP etc never used them.

I'm using photoshop yes... I'm not sure what's up but all my UI is at least 100kb and the unit info card is like 200 kb even with RLE ...
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Paladin94610's Avatar Senator

Hi,modders
    I am adding 'resource salt' in Mines building string of EDB. In-game I found they give 0 income. I don't think salt is added to Mines properly by just adding a dozen words to EDB. What am I missing?
    Thanks in advance.

PS: 'Salt' in the code form was tobacco. D'oh!! But even I change salt to tobacco. It still is zero mine value. I even made a new building with mine_resource capability accompanied by resource salt in requirement. However it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Paladin94610; December 25, 2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

@IA
    Open the descr_sm_resources.txt file and for tobacco make sure you add this line:-
    Code:
    type				tobacco
    trade_value			15
    item				data/models_strat/resource_tobacoo.CAS
    icon				data/ui/resources/resource_tobacco.tga
    has_mine

here's a question.. i been thinking about the suggestion that I should make the Norway general unit a infantry, I thought it's a very interesting idea but then I checked this thread...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=403455

It seem to suggest that once you start with a bodyguard unit... you can not change it in game... thus despite the fact that there are late bodyguard units.. if you start with early bodyguards you'll finish the game with early bodyguards no matter how many turns you play... and the only point of late bodyguard becomes for custom games...

is this true for SS as well? since if it was I could just remove the late bodyguard from my early EDU and vice versa and save a few more EDU spot.

@RollingWave
    That is true for every mod that is medieval2.exe or kingdoms.exe based and thus SS is no different.

Generals bodyguard unit is taken in account that comes first in line with general_unit attribute in the EDU file for that particular faction.

ic, so basically the late bodyguard unit is useless as long as the early bodyguards are present in the EDU.

ic, so basically the late bodyguard unit is useless as long as the early bodyguards are present in the EDU.
    Yes they are useless, unless in late era EDU file they are put first in order.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

They aren't.
    So the late bodyguards are a complete waste of EDU slots?

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    They aren't.
    seems that way, probably should remove the late onces in the early game's EDU and vice versa.

Their only purpose right now is for custom battles... that seems rathter pointless, your even better off making more variety of general bodyguard for one period or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    They aren't.
    Yes that's true they are taking up slots for no reason.
    You guys should use only early guys for the early EDU file and late bodyguards for late EDU file. No need to keep both of them as only one is utilized whichever comes first in line.

Edit
    RollingWave have got it right.

w.wallace61's Avatar Civis

hi guys i m modding my ss 6.3 to make it more simulation like.. i want my generals age more slowy like not 0.50 but 0.10 but it never changes. when i i make adjusts in strat... and i cant find where to change it.. any please tell me where can i change it.. tnx everybody

Generals age whenever winter season is over, read this tutorial to tweak it yourself.

w.wallace61's Avatar Civis

wow thats great many tnx Ishan

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Just a question regarding the battle_modeldb, What is the limit of the serial number of the files? Because I add a new entry so I wrote 1226 and it CTD, then I wrote 1225 and the game starts but the unit is ghosts. Normally, that number will show the unit, right? Or I miss something because the number for each entry is good

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

The most likely thing is that you made some mistake in numbering or white-space somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    Just a question regarding the battle_modeldb, What is the limit of the serial number of the files? Because I add a new entry so I wrote 1226 and it CTD, then I wrote 1225 and the game starts but the unit is ghosts. Normally, that number will show the unit, right? Or I miss something because the number for each entry is good
    There is no known limit till yet, use the modeldb checker to detect any count errors. If serial count increase by one causes a CTD then most likely the last entry is messed up.

the bmdb checker doesn't work for me for some reason, it always stop mid way i'm not sure what's up with that (it worked early on but then it suddenly didn't) it's making life hard for me whenever i change a lot of new models

Another issue on editing in general. sometimes when using notepad+++ the spacing will messup (not always, but sometimes), and it will cause CTDs, if you seem to get inexplicable CTDs try checking your files with normal notepad. (this is espeically common for EDUs )

the bmdb checker doesn't work for me for some reason, it always stop mid way i'm not sure what's up with that (it worked early on but then it suddenly didn't) it's making life hard for me whenever i change a lot of new models

Another issue on editing in general. sometimes when using notepad+++ the spacing will messup (not always, but sometimes), and it will cause CTDs, if you seem to get inexplicable CTDs try checking your files with normal notepad. (this is espeically common for EDUs )
    If you have changed the formatting in the BMDB then it won't work so make sure if it worked correctly earlier then the new entries are put in the same format otherwise it won't accept them.

There is a M2 plugin for notepad++ try using that see if that helps not sure. I have never used notepad++ except for seeing line no's basic notepad has never given me problems in anyway the max i have added is 35 units at once without checking them at regular intervals.