View Poll Results: Release the most stupid Beta ever?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 47.56%
  • No! Finish it

43 52.44%
Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3284344454647484950515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1104

Thread: Batavia Total war - [Continued]

Default Re: Batavia Total war - Belgae preview

nice units

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Batavia Total war - Belgae preview

Batavia Total War - 2012 Preview
    Part 2..

First of all, thanks for all the comments! Good to see that we still have fans.

Second of all, here is the other part of the preview. I delayed it a bit to include some extra details..

Eburones

Dont watch the black corners please

History
    The Eburoni were a Belgae people who most likely inhabited the area of modern day Brabant (south netherlands and north Belgium).

They had a Celto-Germanic culture. Most of their people were high likely of Germanic descend with some Norwestblock mixed in. Their nobles were probably Celtic, bearing Celtic names. The famous leader of the Eburones had a Celtic name, Ambiorix.
    Caesar had a tough time with both the Eburones and the Nervii, and he decided to annihilate them both. He didn't proceed further then the Eburones.
    But the Eburones did high likely survive; They live further in the Germanic tribe Tungri. This is high likely the germanic part of the Eburones tribe who survived the onslaught.

Military
    The organisation of the military actions was typical Belgae with the Eburones. The Eburones have the standard Belgae units, like the standard Celtic infantry armed with spears, swords and javelins and carrying almost no armor.
    But they posess of course some unique units, and Tungri infantry, what makes them more Germanic focused then the other Belgae groups.

Eburoni Warband

The Eburoni Warband has a higher standard then the regular Celtic spear units. They posess a very basic celtic infantry helmet, several javelins and a spear.
    They are not really ment to stop cavalry. They rather fight off infantry and hold the line. As they are a typical infantry unit, they are ment for line fighting but can fill other tasks. This makes them quite attrective to train, since they are quite cheap and very flexible.

Eburoni Champions

Eburoni Champions are a very high standard unit. Compromised of rich and above all experienced warriors, they are a dangerous unit. They are dangerous to encouter, because they carry the Belgae axe. This makes them a nasty foe to defeat, because few units can stand them.
    They are best at Fighting off other armored units on the battlefield, particuly nobles, because those normally have few experience and good equipment.

the other part (so they reunite into one )
    As for the new year, i decided that one of the things on my new years list is to complete Batavia TW, at all cost.
    So i started the work and i realised that some parts of coding should be redone completely, because the modmap + the game is now full of errors.
    I restarted big parts of coding.
    I also edited the UI and menu's for making the game feel more 'Batavia TW' instead of 'RomeTW'.
    And of course the Chauci and the Eburoni, two new factions that were really important acutally but left out in the original plan.
    They both have a really interesting history in roman history.

CHAUCI

The chauci have a intersting history. They were known as the first germanic pirates, the spiritual predecessors of the Vikings.
    They were allies of the romans first but then broke up and helped the Batavians in the Batavian revolt.
    They were neighbours of the Frisi and are probably related to them in some way. The roman author Pliny the elder mentioned them as part of the 'Ingeavones', a group of tribes where the Cimbri and Teutons were also part of. (probably the Saxons as well)

Chauci Infantry

The Chauci Infanry are a close group of men armed with a spear and several javelins. They wear leather armor or no armor.
    They are quite fast and act like a group unit, fighting hencely, not individual.
    Thats why the're ideal for the task of forming a basic line in the battlefield to hold off enemy infantry.

Chamavi

The Chamavi are the closest neighbours of the Chauci. They high likely had close ties and helped each other. This means that they also had some military ties with each other.
    The homeland of the Chamavi was already in roman times a point of discussion: Tacitus notes that they lived west/south of the Frisians, in the lands of the Bructeri. Those lands were taken by force with a alliance, high likely the Chauci. The old homeland of the Chamavi was east of the Frisians, close to the Chauci.

These soldiers consist of the lesser nobles or rich men. They are rich enough to afford Vimose swords, wich are hack type swords, but they can't afford armor.

The New Menu:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Valkar; January 08, 2012 at 07:52 AM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Batavia Total war - 2012 Preview!

I thought the Eburones lived in Limburg (both Netherlands and Belgium) and the Ardennes region?

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Thats both quite close to Brabant

But not the same

jk, looking good

just get a subforum here

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Yeah, but our previous attempt was refused . I don't think the'll change their minds. Maybe after the release.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

don't worry, always try

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Indeed, i should keep trying.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

There is no harm in trying...
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

How are things going?
    Macedon1an's Workshop | Germanic Unit Pack | HRTW | Macedonia Rises Again

"With the blood we shed all over the Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan “Freedom or Death!"" - From the Constitution of the Macedonian Kresna Uprising, 1878

Subwoofer needs to update this

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Look, there are alternatives to necromancing.

Like PM'ing the Mod Leader, which is a more direct way of getting your answer.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

it will be shameful if this great works are abandoned! Don't surrender!

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Okey here i am. A few Q&A

Its not dead, its only not really active. Theres no progress on the map, and i have most units done but i need to code a stable modfolder, wich i didn't succeed in.
    I try to make a small stable releasable beta ASAP. Whats up then, i don't know. I give the files, and anyone who likes it can continue.
    Maybe i will return in the future. But currently im pretty meshed, and i have a hard time continueing modding.

~Valkar

What's to be done about the map then?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkar View Post
    Okey here i am. A few Q&A

Its not dead, its only not really active. Theres no progress on the map, and i have most units done but i need to code a stable modfolder, wich i didn't succeed in.
    I try to make a small stable releasable beta ASAP. Whats up then, i don't know. I give the files, and anyone who likes it can continue.
    Maybe i will return in the future. But currently im pretty meshed, and i have a hard time continueing modding.

~Valkar
    stable modfolder?

to create a modfolder (for BI), you basically just need to copy entire bi/data for your base modfolder data, and change up stuffs afterwards - and deleting the unused ones

and put it inside bi folder so the mod structure is bi/whatever

So? how's progress?

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Im redoing the modfolder, at least trying to sort stuff out and make sure every unit has a Unit_description and can be loaded into battle!

Anyone who's interested in mapping and Roman time frame can get the mapfiles from me, so he might continue, because Irishguy is inactive.

Well, I learned stuff since I joined and most of it is mapping so I could do it.
    And then I would add Coriovallum and Mosae Trajectum.