Page 10 of 148 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria 2 - official discussion

Default Re: Victoria 2 - official discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    I've gotten it to start on time by enacting historical decisions and lowering con/mil. However if you encourage the whigs you only have yourself to blame for an early war (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Also what do you consider gamey? Are you building Dixie units prior to the war, or are you building only Yankee units? Do you not expand the military at all from 1836? I generally build a balanced army from 1836 and still have an outnumbered confederacy when the war starts, but it is generally a more even war. I have played the civil war twice both as the Union and won both times, but I think winning as the CSA is certainly possible as long as you don't make it impossible for yourself before hand.
    The event spam from Southern Belle , Copperhead, etc happening basically once a month keeps me from keeping con/mil low. I've enacted all of the events at strategically intelligent moments, and the latest I've gotten the war to trigger is 1850. After winning the Mexican-American war early (researching romanticism first and acquiring the territory from the war to protect Texas) I focus all of my resources on developing the south, and still the only way to even have a chance at winning the war is to disband ALL yankee troops right before the war starts, disband all of the navies, and the US still usually wins. I've doubled the - con bonuses of the events and even that only allows me to push the war back a few months.

Is there a reason why the CSA can only recruit irregulars?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by iudas View Post
    Is there a reason why the CSA can only recruit irregulars?
    Probably lack of soldier population, although I did see CSA throw out regulars and cavalries in late game though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Until Paradox fixes the ACW I'm just going forward with my cheat-y version. Total victory and all of the east coast for my glorious CSA. So many badboy points, so worth it. Hopefully.

Edit: Pretty positive the irregulars only thing is a bug. Reload after you switch to the CSA and you should be able to build regular inf/calv/arty where you have enough soldiers.
    Last edited by Vernalagnia; August 20, 2010 at 08:52 AM.

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

my m8 got a problem with loading up the game. what happens is when it finishes the loading screens it says vic2.exe not working he has update it and also replaced it with a new one and the samething happens again but the odd occasion it works. it cant be the graphics becouse he has world of warcraft and empire tw etc. i also installed it on my computer and it works fine for me. we are confused could anyone help me.

Campidoctor

He'd be much better off seeking help at the tech forum for the game over at paradox. While people here could build off of past experiences, the tech mods and devs will be able to figure out his problem much more quickly.

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

okies cheers CDMan

eran's Avatar Domesticus

How can making the people smarter or giving them pension help me?
    It sound like a waste of money.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by eran View Post
    How can making the people smarter or giving them pension help me?
    It sound like a waste of money.
    making them smarter speeds up research - it also increases conciousness i think? so people ultimately become more progressive which leads to possible need for social reforms etc
    giving them social reforms drops militancy and conciousness of certain groups (may raise others..but thats why u look and c whether things are worth changing)

One question: Where is it smart to place factories? For example as Sweden your most popolous region is Götaland, but most of your iron and timber is in Svealand and Norrland. Would it be wise to build a lumber mill in Götaland? Or should I place it in Svealand or Norrland? And what about the furniture then?

Thanks for answers.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    making them smarter speeds up research - it also increases conciousness i think? so people ultimately become more progressive which leads to possible need for social reforms etc
    giving them social reforms drops militancy and conciousness of certain groups (may raise others..but thats why u look and c whether things are worth changing)
    The real benefit of social reforms is lowering the needs of your pops, especially your all important craftsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    One question: Where is it smart to place factories? For example as Sweden your most popolous region is Götaland, but most of your iron and timber is in Svealand and Norrland. Would it be wise to build a lumber mill in Götaland? Or should I place it in Svealand or Norrland? And what about the furniture then?

Thanks for answers.
    High population centers (remember that you place a factory and it draws from the entire state) are the best bet for factories, as long as you link them to your resources with railroad I haven't noticed any penalties for being necessarily in the same state as the resources you are using, at least not one big enough to discount the advantage of having a high population to draw craftsmen/capitalists from more easily.

Thanks man
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks for answers.
    From my experience, the smaller states won't have enough craftsmen to support more than one factory, and even that will be lacklustre. National focus or not. Svealand, Götaland, and once you get it, southern Finland are the best for factories.

Anyway,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The organisational skills of these rebel scum never cease to astonish me.
    My pony jumps ever so high

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Bought the Steam version today and got my free copy of Vicky 1 Complete. Decided the extra £7 over the boxed version was worth the convenience of Steam (normally the thing that prevents me is my download limit, but Paradox's games are tiny ), and the free version of the original.

From someone who does really like grand strategy games but never played the original, any tips on starting nation and any common mistakes or whatnot? (I know it's only a few days since release, but I might aswell ask ).
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    Bought the Steam version today and got my free copy of Vicky 1 Complete. Decided the extra £7 over the boxed version was worth the convenience of Steam (normally the thing that prevents me is my download limit, but Paradox's games are tiny ), and the free version of the original.

From someone who does really like grand strategy games but never played the original, any tips on starting nation and any common mistakes or whatnot? (I know it's only a few days since release, but I might aswell ask ).
    I'm pretty much on the same situation. Damn the game looks very complex, though I'm aware the other Paradox's games are even more messy.

I guess the game runs in a small laptop though, and that is awesome for those days I'll have to be on a train for hours

Quote Originally Posted by Duberdicus View Post
    I'm pretty much on the same situation. Damn the game looks very complex, though I'm aware the other Paradox's games are even more messy.

I guess the game runs in a small laptop though, and that is awesome for those days I'll have to be on a train for hours
    I find gamersgate to be a better deal with the blue coins you earn. I used to buy games on steam before I found gamersgate, http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-V2/victoria-2 . Never had an issue with any mod/game that I downloaded from them, no added DRM or altered .exe's like the other downloadable versions. Plus Paradox still owns stock in them I believe.

The game isn't really that complicated, you should just read the FAQ's on the Paradox forum like the strategy guide, and pop promotion/demotion charts. Other than that you learn a good deal while you play, and the tutorial isn't too long or bad if you are willing to take the time.

Any great or secondary power can be fun for a first game, though I'd recommend avoiding any Laissez-Faire economies your first time out as you might be frustrated by incompetent capitalists. Any of the monarchies are also easier on the first timer as you can appoint the government of your choice.

Playing as Sweden I found North Korea (Sawari and Pyongyang) and Madagascar to be insanely profitable provinces. Madagascar churn out Tropical Wood like no one else (120 ca. from one province!) and also have a very nice coal province (80!), whereas North Korea have plenty of iron and even more coal than Madagascar.

A lot better provinces than Egypt, which I always acquire in my Italian games.

Edit: Aproximately how many men do I need for a factory? I mean - if I have a population of 1m in a province then approx how many factories can it support?
    Last edited by Ishoss; August 20, 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Bill Shankly

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Playing as Sweden I found North Korea (Sawari and Pyongyang) and Madagascar to be insanely profitable provinces. Madagascar churn out Tropical Wood like no one else (120 ca. from one province!) and also have a very nice coal province (80!), whereas North Korea have plenty of iron and even more coal than Madagascar.

A lot better provinces than Egypt, which I always acquire in my Italian games.
    Play as Austria, they have more Coal than I'v ever seen. (Not played Prussia yet though)

Like 120 in many regions and 80's here and there, its crazy, Its 1856 for me and I pump out 3600 coal. Tarriffs on 100% = MONEH !

Bah! But those aren't really your coal, it's the Hungarians coal :whistle

Bill Shankly

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Man I'm having hard time getting those Prussian capitalists to build me a factory