Thread: Jomsvikings?

Default Jomsvikings?

Hi everyone....First I wana say this mod really looks great
    well I wonder are there any special mercenaries like "Jomsvikings" in this mod??
    Thanks....

Default Re: Jomsvikings?

As far as i know this mod is about dark age britain. The Jomsvikings however, according to my knowledge, where in the eastern europe where their fortress of "Joms" was. I can't see the connection but i may say that it has been a while since I read about "Jomsvikingar" .

Thanks
    ..I thought they would be mercenaries in Scandinavia ..or they can go to British islands or other foreign countries for Money or Land????...

They apparently did raid as far as England, and it is possible they were active during the mods timeframe, however sources are sparse.
    "For men can endure to hear others praised only so long as they can severally persuade themselves of their own ability to equal the actions recounted: when this point is passed, envy comes in and with it, incredulity." - Pericles, Funeral Oration

"English bastards!" - the Scottish AAR!

The Grass is ALWAYS Greener: the Dark Tale of Mordor

Want to publish an article on any aspect of history? PM or email me at shistory@speculativehistory.co.uk, or visit http://www.speculativehistory.co.uk. if you just want to learn something new.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
    They apparently did raid as far as England, and it is possible they were active during the mods timeframe, however sources are sparse.
    I saw them in another couple of Dark Age mods before, Vikining Invasion 2 and I think Norman Invasion, not sure about the latter however. Both of those mods were for Rome:TW.

There were Jomsvikings raiding East England in the early 11th century, and they were also involved in the battle of Fyrisvall, near Uppsala, where they were under command of Styrbjörn Starke (Styrbjörn the Strong), who sought to defeat his uncle, King Erik Segersäll (Erik the Victorious), and take the throne of the Svear. Styrbjörn landed at Lake Mälaren with a thousand(!) longboats, which he burnt to tell his troops that they should fight to the death. He lost the battle, and according to several Sagas he lost because Erik had a deal with Odin, who outwiped Styrbjörns whole army with magic.

There are many sources that also describes them as Danes, or subjects of the Danish king, Jomsborg being a part of the Danish domains, as it was located close to Denmark, at the Island of Wollin in the Baltic Sea. So I think you could make them mercenaries, to be hired in southern Scandinavia and Denmark. In that case it should also be an event that makes them unable to hire after 1043, as the Norwegian King Magnus den Gode (Magnus the Good), according to the Heimskringla saga, wanted to exterminate the threat of the Jomsvikings, as they had many times thoubled the Scandinavian kings. So he sailed straight down to Jomsborg and killed everyone there. Then they were never to be mentioned again...
    "I came, I saw, and I didn't believe my eyes!"

The Island Wollin lies close to Swinoujscie, at the Polish border to Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa121 View Post
    There were Jomsvikings raiding East England in the early 11th century, and they were also involved in the battle of Fyrisvall, near Uppsala, where they were under command of Styrbjörn Starke (Styrbjörn the Strong), who sought to defeat his uncle, King Erik Segersäll (Erik the Victorious), and take the throne of the Svear. Styrbjörn landed at Lake Mälaren with a thousand(!) longboats, which he burnt to tell his troops that they should fight to the death. He lost the battle, and according to several Sagas he lost because Erik had a deal with Odin, who outwiped Styrbjörns whole army with magic.

There are many sources that also describes them as Danes, or subjects of the Danish king, Jomsborg being a part of the Danish domains, as it was located close to Denmark, at the Island of Wollin in the Baltic Sea. So I think you could make them mercenaries, to be hired in southern Scandinavia and Denmark. In that case it should also be an event that makes them unable to hire after 1043, as the Norwegian King Magnus den Gode (Magnus the Good), according to the Heimskringla saga, wanted to exterminate the threat of the Jomsvikings, as they had many times thoubled the Scandinavian kings. So he sailed straight down to Jomsborg and killed everyone there. Then they were never to be mentioned again...
    Good info thanks really..
    I hope they make them mercenaries in the Mod ..that would be sweet....

Ah, you're welcome, just glad to help I do hope they implement them to the mod, that'd be a great addition, and it would also make Denmark more attractive to play as

I don't believe they are in the mod's current incarnation but they are planned for the future

That indeed sounds good!

yeah it does