Thread: So You Want to Get Good at Multiplayer?

Default So You Want to Get Good at Multiplayer?

I figured I might as well.

Guide to Footmen

Guide to Archery

There is no real good guide to cavalry, so:
    Always be aware of your surroundings. Watch out that you don't couch your teammates. Pack a good sword, and avoid riding broadside to archers. Also, some throwing weapons often come in handy on horseback.

Covering the Basics (Video) by Reapy

Dueling Guide
    Despite the new Dueling Game Mode, still worth a read on how to act during a duel, and will familiarize you with general house rules for dueling.

Complaint Form for Official Servers

How to Set Up and Host Your Own Server

Overhead Map Views

Game Mode Definitions (Whole Thread)
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Default Re: So You Want to Get Good at Multiplayer?

That.. or buy the fastest weapon you can get and simply spam the enemy to death.

Just kidding, good thread.

Great post COGlory. I already read all of them however I am not a good fighter at all. In most cases death-kill ratio is close or below to 1. If there are good player in large quantity then it becomes worse. I play this game till release and play it frequently but seems there is something wrong with me.

I was thinking opening a thread about this but it seems here is just fine to talk about it. Can anyone suggest me something ? Do you think joining a clan make any positive effect ?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, joining a clan would likely enable your skills to advance in leaps and bounds. What continent and region are you from?

EDIT: Just looked at your wall or whatever it's called, guessing you're Turkish? If you're looking for a fun, not super serious clan you might want to apply for Wicked Tavern Fanatics.

Here is their English thread on the forum, and here is their Turkish thread.
    And here (I think) is a list of Turkish clans.
    Last edited by McBeverage; August 20, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks McBeverage, yeah I am a Turk living in Turkey. I always tried to get out of clans since I think I may not be able to do requirements for it. Trainings, Turnaments ect may be some dates that I can't participate. Thus, I feel bad at those times. However, now I am free so no resposibility.

Anyway, I will take a look to those clan thingies thanks again.

No prob. Also, noticed I forgot to thank Lory for writing this!

Danke!

Quote Originally Posted by HeroSK View Post
    Great post COGlory. I already read all of them however I am not a good fighter at all. In most cases death-kill ratio is close or below to 1. If there are good player in large quantity then it becomes worse. I play this game till release and play it frequently but seems there is something wrong with me.

I was thinking opening a thread about this but it seems here is just fine to talk about it. Can anyone suggest me something ? Do you think joining a clan make any positive effect ?

Thanks in advance.
    I too have this problem.

What I do to overcome it, is confidence boost. Might sound silly, but just telling myself over and over that I can beat this guy helps enormously.

Usually when I go to fight someone, I'm like "Oh crap, I'm gonna die."

Changing my attitude to "That Son of a Bieber is a dead man!" puts me on the aggressive side of things, and offense is often the best defense.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

so high ping is probably because of internet connection? I think. How do we decrease our ping leval?

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    so high ping is probably because of internet connection? I think. How do we decrease our ping leval?
    Ping(latency) is the amount of time it takes for a package of information to go from your computer to the server and back in milliseconds.

Ping is affected by quite a few things including your connection, the bandwidth of your provider, the bandwidth of the server, the number of hops from your computer to the backbone, and the number of hops from the game server to the backbone.

If you have broadband and the game server has broadband and you still have a high ping, find another server. If you don't have broadband, get it. If you can't get it, there are some optization programs that will help the performance of your modem, but not by much.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    Check your connectivity:
    http://speedtest.net/
    http://www.pingtest.net/

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

I was thinking of getting Warband solely due to the multiplayer aspect. I am an Neverwinter Nights 1 veteran; still playing on a multi-player team pvp server, but within the last year the server population has substantially dwindled. I am looking for something else with similar gameplay, and, Warband certainly got my attention. I few questions though:

1. Is the multiplayer population in Warband still decent/somewhat existent?

2. I had a look at some 1vs1 dueling tutorials and the melee combat system seems rather complicated/clunky; at least not what I am used to with these type of games, with a keyboard/mouse setup. Or is it recommended one uses a gamepad/control-pad instead?

3. Is there monthly subscription fees once you purchase the actual stand-alone game?

1. There are still plenty of people playing the game with certain mods and the basic game.

2. It's definitely pretty different from games these days. Basically you control blocking and swing by moving your mouse one way and clicking. So say you move the mouse right and right click your guy will swing from the right or block from the right. It's definitely a mouse and keyboard type game because of this.
    Overall it's actually very fluid and simple while keeping a challenge.

3. No

I learned wasd and mouse targeting, I couldn't imagine doing it with a controller.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    I learned wasd and mouse targeting, I couldn't imagine doing it with a controller.
    Yeah same. In fact I wish more games were like this.

I find that to get decent at multiplayer there are 4 things you need to learn quickly:

1. Manual blocking. No decent server has auto-block so learning to manual block is necessary. Even your shields won't last forever.
    2. Footwork. Most new players don't pay enough attention to footwork, but it is an absolutely essential part of the fight. A lot of the time, it's the deciding factor in a fight. Strafing right while going a left-swing might be the exact reason you connect your hit that split second faster than your enemy, for example.
    3. Spinning. Most people don't like this aspect of M&B, including me. You can spin around in the game much faster than you can in real life. Use it to your advantage, such as by faking to run away only to turn around and stab the other guy. It's very important skill to have when fighting multiple enemies.
    4. Timing. This one I see people complaining about the most. New players always complain "how come every can hit faster than me?" New player walk into MP thinking they can just hack&slash like they did in SP. This won't work. When you're using a slow weapon, learn to block first then attack. You'll also twitch that much faster with this game. Most new players react too slowly once they've blocked (most probably with a shield) so they think the other players can actually get in 2 attacks before they can get in one. This is just not true in most cases.
    "My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the Arsenal is no more, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of gooner-ship, but it is not this day. An hour of Spuds and shattered cannons when the Highbury Emirates comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of North London!"
    - Aragooner

I think they should improve the combat mechanic.