Thread: Good and Bad News on Naval Models

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Good and Bad News on Naval Models

This morning, I did some testing on naval models by replacing the Ironclad model (used by the dreadnoughts, pre-dreadnoughts and battlecruisers) with the 38-gun Steam Ship model (used by cargo ships).

The game did not crash, and I was able to load the battle succesfully. As you can see in the attached picture, the model of the ship is, quite amazingly, that of the 38-gun Steam Ship. This means that it is possible to switch models on the ships.

Furthermore, having a rigging (found in the logic.xml.rigging) apparently unrelated to the model (which is the case here, the masts are obviously too big and are floating above the ship model) will not cause CTDs. This is obviously a good thing, since we don't want our World War I-era ships to have sails like those ships of the line from the 19th and 18th century.

Lastly - and this might be a problem - you can clearly see that the guns and the crew are misplaced. In fact, they have kept their Ironclad position and deck structure, and this is something that I believe is unrelated to the rigging. The problem with this is that it means that we have to identify the file(s) responsible for the cannon and crew positioning, but at least changing models will not cause a (CTD) conflict.

- Aanker, Chief of the Experimental Department

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Good and Bad News on Naval Models

Looks promising, I hope you can fix the gun decks and things. Would you do me a favour and let me know how this turns out? I have an idea for a project and this is vital to it.

Very Nice!
    Mmmm but do you cant just delte the animations of the crew??
    On a battlecruiser of WW1 there was nearly no crew on the deck they all where in the ship....

bye
    Light Silence and Deadly ~Ghost division~

Awesome.

Another update!

I replaced the Ironclad logic.xml.rigging file with that of the 38-gun Steam Ship, and, as expected, the masts changed positions, while the crew and guns did not (see image).

This means that the file governing the position of guns and crew in ships will have to be identified, something that might take a very, very, long time.

Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Don_yuri's Avatar Libertus

Nice work up to date. Keep it up, the next version looks like its coming along beautifully.
    Canada? I don't even know what street it's on.
    Al 'Scarface' Capone

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, it will require a bit of work, but atleast you replaced the model! That's great. +rep
    [Col] RO Citizen

Off-topic posts deleted.

-Aanker

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Any progress on this yet mate?

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    Any progress on this yet mate?
    If you have seen my mod workshop thread, you'll see that the most likely candidate for investigation is the models_naval table, which is sadly unreadable by the PFM at the moment.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    If you have seen my mod workshop thread, you'll see that the most likely candidate for investigation is the models_naval table, which is sadly unreadable by the PFM at the moment.
    Ah yes I have found the thread thanks

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

What happens when it fires?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtell0 View Post
    What happens when it fires?
    The gunfire animations are attached to the guns, so the cannons fire "correctly", and not from the 38-gun Steam Ship gun positions.