Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of the Gods: Total War (recruiting urgently all jobs)

Default Age of the Gods: Total War (recruiting urgently all jobs)

Hello there! This is Age of the Gods: Total War, or for short, AotG:TW, or even shorter: AotG, or EVEN shorter: AG.

We're going to create a mod for Rome - Total War lasting from 2000 BC --> 400 AD.
    We will use the 'Marian Reform' event/s to signify the evolution of factions' military.

The map will be Europe, North Africa and the Near to Middle East.

I'll add more to this later. If you're interested, join us NOW!

EDIT: not doing this any more.
    Last edited by Jarvisimo; March 28, 2012 at 01:48 AM.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Age of the Gods: Total War (recruiting urgently all jobs)

this thing is IMPOSSIBLE to do, come on 2000 BC - 400 AD? the factions would be not only extremely different, but on different things alltogether...

utterly impossible, so if you want to see how impossible it was, please try to list the factions

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

...first april joke this year...or not...

Cesarz's Avatar Miles

Rather than ridicule, why not offer encouragements to a new modder?
    That way, you seem a better person and bring a greater variety of mods to the game.

Just a wild idea I thought I'd throw out there.
    "Never trust a quote you find on the internet" - Niccolò Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Cesarz View Post
    Rather than ridicule, why not offer encouragements to a new modder?
    That way, you seem a better person and bring a greater variety of mods to the game.

Just a wild idea I thought I'd throw out there.

Thanks man!

this thing is IMPOSSIBLE to do, come on 2000 BC - 400 AD? the factions would be not only extremely different, but on different things alltogether...

utterly impossible, so if you want to see how impossible it was, please try to list the factions
    What about , say, 700 BC -> 400 AD?
    That way, you'd get the WHOLE of Rome's history (more or less) and at the start Egypt + Greece would be the powers - Rome would simply be a sparsely populated village in Italy
    Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvisimo View Post
    Hello there! This is Age of the Gods: Total War, or for short, AotG:TW, or even shorter: AotG, or EVEN shorter: AG.

We're going to create a mod for Rome - Total War lasting from 700 BC --> 400 AD.
    We will use the 'Marian Reform' event/s to signify the evolution of factions' military.

The map will be Europe, North Africa and the Near to Middle East.

Factions:
    Rome
    Phoenician Empire
    Egypt
    Macedon
    Persia
    Sparta
    Athens
    Thebes
    Various Barbarian States (not decided all the names yet)

I'll add more to this later. If you're interested, join us NOW!
    Edited this to alter the setting to make it easier. However, the main faction ideas are still possible: For some reason I don't have an 'edit post' button? Could somebody help me out there (by PM) thanks!

What about , say, 700 BC -> 400 AD?
    That way, you'd get the WHOLE of Rome's history (more or less) and at the start Egypt + Greece would be the powers - Rome would simply be a sparsely populated village in Italy
    Thanks for the feedback
    the thing is, if you make the time separations too far, sometimes, the factions makeup needs to be very different, not only that, with very different units too. One reform is good, two is usual, three is acceptable, but let's see? I look only for Rome... and look what you'll need to done and keep in mind this is simplicized list (if you want details, look at EB and IBFD)

1st army : Tribal latin troops (pre-Hoplite troops)
    2nd army : Hoplitic troops (erustacanite Kings period and early republic)
    3rd army : Cammilan troops (ok, this could arguably set as the same with Polybianite troops)
    4th army : Polybian troops (technically different from Cammilan, but well?)
    5th army : Marian troops (Marian reform) - and the Republican legions
    6th army : Augustusan troops (Augustusan reform) - and the early Imperial legion
    7th army : 3rd century crisis troops (Barracks emperor reform - and mid Imperial legion (which is very different from early imperial legion)
    8th army : Constantini troops (Constantine reform) - and late Imperial legion, the Commitatensis-Limitnaei system

-----------------------------

well? you need at least 7 types of troops to somewhat portay all the troop reforms that the Romans do, now, let's look at the other factions and you'll notice the same things is in all other factions, exceptions is the Sarmatian/Scythian faction, that doesn't envolve much (only got Cataphract reform somewhere in 600 BC)

well? I'll suggest limit the time of focus rather than make it wide

plus not to mention factions would be very different, for such, early Rome is "Kingdom of Rome", then envolve to "Republic of Rome", then envolve to "Roman Empire"

and not to mention, some important factions later on do not exist at 700 AD

Factions:
    Rome
    Phoenician Empire
    Egypt
    Macedon
    Persia
    Sparta
    Athens
    Thebes
    Various Barbarian States (not decided all the names yet)
    ok, Rome has the problem as I pointed out allready

Phoenician Empire? do you intend to make it in 700 AD, while they still based on Tyre and Carthage is still a normal colony? then how about Hannibalic reform? ok, it's rather easy on Phoenicians.

You start at 700 BC and don't include Assyrians and Babylonians? Elamites?
    Last edited by Spike; March 25, 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    the thing is, if you make the time separations too far, sometimes, the factions makeup needs to be very different, not only that, with very different units too. One reform is good, two is usual, three is acceptable, but let's see? I look only for Rome... and look what you'll need to done and keep in mind this is simplicized list (if you want details, look at EB and IBFD)

1st army : Tribal latin troops (pre-Hoplite troops)
    2nd army : Hoplitic troops (erustacanite Kings period and early republic)
    3rd army : Cammilan troops (ok, this could arguably set as the same with Polybianite troops)
    4th army : Polybian troops (technically different from Cammilan, but well?)
    5th army : Marian troops (Marian reform) - and the Republican legions
    6th army : Augustusan troops (Augustusan reform) - and the early Imperial legion
    7th army : 3rd century crisis troops (Barracks emperor reform - and mid Imperial legion (which is very different from early imperial legion)
    8th army : Constantini troops (Constantine reform) - and late Imperial legion, the Commitatensis-Limitnaei system

-----------------------------

well? you need at least 7 types of troops to somewhat portay all the troop reforms that the Romans do, now, let's look at the other factions and you'll notice the same things is in all other factions, exceptions is the Sarmatian/Scythian faction, that doesn't envolve much (only got Cataphract reform somewhere in 600 BC)

well? I'll suggest limit the time of focus rather than make it wide

plus not to mention factions would be very different, for such, early Rome is "Kingdom of Rome", then envolve to "Republic of Rome", then envolve to "Roman Empire"

and not to mention, some important factions later on do not exist at 700 AD
    We'd probably start with Tribal troops but then the next level of barracks builds Hoplite style.
    Then we'd move on to Polybian troops, like the same kind of development of Roma Surrectum 2 at the start.

After that would come Marian straight away, Augustan after next barracks reform, allowing to play until the start of Lorica Segmenta mass use.

So then, we get Hamata units straight away, with imperial weapons etc. We see Barracks upgrades and various other things which allow Segmenta units which have significantly lower training cost and slightly improved armour (hamata was more or less as strong as segmenta, but just harder to produce).

After that goes on for several hundred years (the height of Rome's power), we'll make Legionary units more or less the same but smaller unit size, and more expensive. The player will be more or less forced to use mainly Auxilia + Foreign mercenaries.

The fourth and final reform will see the rise of troops Commitatensis style

Thanks for the quick reply, it's great to have an experienced guy helping design

Well, they'll be called 'Rome' as I think it's impossible to change faction names mid-game (correct me if I'm wrong)

Phoenician Empire? do you intend to make it in 700 AD, while they still based on Tyre and Carthage is still a normal colony? then how about Hannibalic reform? ok, it's rather easy on Phoenicians.
    Yes, the capital will be Tyre and they will control significant amounts of Mediteraenean. I will have to research heavily for this as I'm not an expert on Phonoecian history

You start at 700 BC and don't include Assyrians and Babylonians? Elamites?
    They will be included, I just didn't mention them in that post as I am not SURE about all of them, due to limited faction slots etc. Babylon will most probably be in, due to such rich history.

Thanks for commenting!

We'd probably start with Tribal troops but then the next level of barracks builds Hoplite style.
    Then we'd move on to Polybian troops, like the same kind of development of Roma Surrectum 2 at the start.

After that would come Marian straight away, Augustan after next barracks reform, allowing to play until the start of Lorica Segmenta mass use.

So then, we get Hamata units straight away, with imperial weapons etc. We see Barracks upgrades and various other things which allow Segmenta units which have significantly lower training cost and slightly improved armour (hamata was more or less as strong as segmenta, but just harder to produce).

After that goes on for several hundred years (the height of Rome's power), we'll make Legionary units more or less the same but smaller unit size, and more expensive. The player will be more or less forced to use mainly Auxilia + Foreign mercenaries.

The fourth and final reform will see the rise of troops Commitatensis style

Thanks for the quick reply, it's great to have an experienced guy helping design
    and does that means everytime Rome conquer a new province they'll have tribal troops and envolve to Cammilan even in 70 BC? Barracks-tied reform is only useful in latest tier and in not too far separated timeline.

Plus look what factions that you'll need to have at the portayal, 1000++ years is not gonna to be covered in a campaign....

in other words, your timeline is still too long, cut it out

and does that means everytime Rome conquer a new province they'll have tribal troops and envolve to Cammilan even in 70 BC? Barracks-tied reform is only useful in latest tier and in not too far separated timeline.

Plus look what factions that you'll need to have at the portayal, 1000++ years is not gonna to be covered in a campaign....

in other words, your timeline is still too long, cut it out
    Hmmmm.....

I see your point here
    everytime Rome conquer a new province they'll have tribal troops and envolve to Cammilan even in 70 BC?
    Very good point, however, seeing as Rome will be at 'village' level, it will take a while for them to reach the population and city level to build the barracks.

Also, we're going to use maybe 4 turns a year to speed things up. what kind of timeline do you suggest?

whatever you pick, pick arround 400 years to be long, but reasonable, 300-250 years is for standard campaign, 250-100 years is rather short

ADD:

but if ya pick starting time
    - arround 300-200 BC, there's too many mods concentrate on that era, I suggest don't pick this era, but whatever float your boat
    - before 500 BC, it's pretty much rare if Rome to be covered
    - after 0 AD, imperial time?
    - whatever float your boat again
    Last edited by Spike; March 25, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

whatever you pick, pick arround 400 years to be long, but reasonable, 300-250 years is for standard campaign, 250-100 years is rather short

ADD:

but if ya pick starting time
    - arround 300-200 BC, there's too many mods concentrate on that era, I suggest don't pick this era, but whatever float your boat
    - before 500 BC, it's pretty much rare if Rome to be covered
    - after 0 AD, imperial time?
    - whatever float your boat again

I like the idea of a 0AD - 500AD campaign, where it's basically 'Rome is fairly powerful atm, build it up further and then defend/manage it', however, I worry that Rome would be too big and OP.

well, that means pretty much Start with Augustus, and... end in Destruction of the western empire?
    the problem in this timeline is later on Christianity is noticeable influence, but at 0 AD.... Jesus is just born recently the Split of the Empire, The Troubles, and Barbarian invasions means.... it's impossible to portay factions right

however if you put things.... in shorter time, till 300 AD perhaps, it would be much doable

well, that means pretty much Start with Augustus, and... end in Destruction of the western empire?
    the problem in this timeline is later on Christianity is noticeable influence, but at 0 AD.... Jesus is just born recently the Split of the Empire, The Troubles, and Barbarian invasions means.... it's impossible to portay factions right

however if you put things.... in shorter time, till 300 AD perhaps, it would be much doable
    Hmmmm, but I've always wanted to see Rome DESTROYED
    I've also always fancied a kind of more (ironically) peaceful total WAR game. Where the main aim of the game isn't entirely conquer everything, and make building up your cities and infrastructure etc more rewarding. Rome: Total Peace if you like Starting in 0AD would allow that, as you could manage the Empire in peace and prosper, build monuments, roads, develop technology etc.

ugh, contrary much then? but that kind of game is impossible to do in RTW, but you can do that via script to M2TWK

ugh, contrary much then? but that kind of game is impossible to do in RTW, but you can do that via script to M2TWK
    Hmmmm, problem is texturing in Med2 is different as it uses .TEXTURE files instead of DDS, which scare me

However, is it not possible to do it via buildings which offer greater rewards, and also a bit of scripting events and video type things, with possible large scale buildings which act as technology e.g (for a building window example)

FIRE (technology)

UGG UGG UGGG UGGGGGG UGG UG UGGG UGGG

Public Health increase 30%
    Caveman increase 70%
    Stupidity increas 20%

Wut? Do you have constipation?

caveman? stupidity?

Wut? Do you have constipation?

caveman? stupidity?
    Just a little jokey filler, seeing as I can't be bothered to do an entire description thing.

PS. Yes, I'm heavily constipated. (sarcasm)

Jarvisimo, here are some ideas, which I would like to be done, but I don't have enough energy and time:

I. Calradia: Total War. Why there is no Calradia TW yet? Why it is not in development even? All M&B fans would be happy. Nuff said about Calradia total War. Only 5 factions are needed. For gameplay purpose you can add 6th horde faction (Main hero).

II. Tamagotchi TW. You forgot to clean up for you general, and now he refuses to fight. You forgot to feed him and he died. Auto resolving battles by the Rock-paper-scissors game vs AI.

III. Prehistorical TW. Partly historical, partly WTF is it. Homo neanderthalensis, Homme de Cro-Magnon, mammoth riders, sable tooth tigers instead of war dogs, one civilized eastern-egg city (may be Atlantis, or smt like that), Ancient Aliens (who were not exist) horde invasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast