Thread: Map idea/suggestion

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Map idea/suggestion

we all know CA screwed every attempt to make a post napoleonic mod by changing the map from the original proposal and making it so no accurate startpos of Prussia and Russia could be shown, but would it be possible to rectify this with troops and town ownership? like how CA replicated Sweden's occupation of Vorpommern by putting a Swedish army in teh vorpommern area of Mecklenburg. im pretty sure this has been discussed, but id like to add a question, is it possible to add forts in the startpos, or would that go into map editing

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Map idea/suggestion

I think it really is, but not in enemy territory, ofc.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

i think adding forts is map editing, no idea if it's possible though, guess mitch will need to answer for this

But you can make forts buildable by generals, enter in a game, make the fort, nd then amke a hybrid between startposes...
    [Col] RO Citizen

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    But you can make forts buildable by generals, enter in a game, make the fort, nd then amke a hybrid between startposes...
    I know generals would be able to make forts but is it possible to do that hybrid stuff? would be cool though if we could add forts, would be more than happy to do research about forts that existed at the start of the war

Content Emeritus

i know that some napoleonic forts were used in verdun lol, if the idea that forts are replaced by trenches becomes a reality ( i nkow it was discussed but is likely very hard) that woukld make it even more realistic

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

I guess this would be a relevant thread for this.

What is the possibility of adding "open cities" and "free cities".

Quote Originally Posted by Falconpilot View Post
    I know generals would be able to make forts but is it possible to do that hybrid stuff? would be cool though if we could add forts, would be more than happy to do research about forts that existed at the start of the war
    At least in ETW it was very possible, with 100% succes rate
    [Col] RO Citizen

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Guys.. Forts where removed in NTW...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I guess this would be a relevant thread for this.

What is the possibility of adding "open cities"
    What do you mean by that? Adding "" to a phrase leaves it open to complete speculation as to what you mean.. I need specifics god dam you!!

Well an open city was one which legally you cannot fight or bomb, and armies would just walk straight in. Would make for some interesting campaign map play, if some of the cities were declared open. A free city, well that different, a city which I believe is independent of its country. (Danzig pre 2WW for example) - represented by a super micro faction, or as "rebels" who are at peace with everyone?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Well an open city was one which legally you cannot fight or bomb, and armies would just walk straight in. Would make for some interesting campaign map play, if some of the cities were declared open. A free city, well that different, a city which I believe is independent of its country. (Danzig pre 2WW for example) - represented by a super micro faction, or as "rebels" who are at peace with everyone?
    Wait, so for instance we make Berlin an "Open city".... now nobody can ever take it, and Germany can never lose.

Im failing to understand the idea completely I think..

No, a city is declared as an open city (so starts as one at beginning of the game), so the faction that owns it cannot defend it (no fighting can happen in that immediate area?), so is forced to fight around it to prevent its loss, as any army can just walk in. (Athens and Paris in 2WW are great examples). You'd have to find out exactly which cities were open in 1914. It would be interesting as there would be a real scramble for these cities.

Free cities are different.

Content Emeritus

while forts were removed in NTW i could swear they were available in peninsular
    and for this "open city" idea, what like make all the soldiers you recruit go outside the city (like as if the city is say.. full of civillians with 0 upkeep, new unit perhaps lol)

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

No, a city is declared as an open city (so starts as one at beginning of the game), so the faction that owns it cannot defend it (no fighting can happen in that immediate area?), so is forced to fight around it to prevent its loss, as any army can just walk in. (Athens and Paris in 2WW are great examples). You'd have to find out exactly which cities were open in 1914. It would be interesting as there would be a real scramble for these cities.

Free cities are different.
    I don't know about Athens but Paris was not an open city, the germans took it because the French government had surrendered, but the Allies fought to take it back http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_of_Paris

so what you're saying is an "open city" is actually just a city of a defeated country, so I don't get the point.
    Patronized by Hader.

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

no, the french surrenderd parris, it wasnt a free city...
    "If a pro is the opposite of a con, then what is the opposite of progress?"