Thread: Byzantine Hippodrome

Michael XXXII's Avatar Laetus

Default Byzantine Hippodrome

First off id like 2 say that im new 2 the site and that i think the RC/RR mod is great ! love the Byzantines/Romans n defending the Empire - never seems 2 get borin 4 me

The question i have (and forgive me if iv posted this in the wrong area??) is would it b possible or is there a chance someone could or is goin 2 create a Hippodrome buildin 4 the Byzantine's??

as the game is Historically based, and i know Constantinople had one, unsure if other settlements still had their's? tho the Byzantines obviously used them and still had the abillity 2 build them - i Remember they were present in "Rome" total war engine and functioned as the Muslim one does now...

this is beyond my abillity tho think these buildin's would b great 2 have 4 Byzantine settelemnts or at least 4 Constantinople, functionin as their muslim counterparts... much as with the 'Hospital' buildin

perhapes with a Historical desription detailin its involvment in political as well as social life? i.e the politically funded teams of the Venetii, the Prasinoi, the Rousioi and the Leukoi. the bettin that took place and the Nika riots??

just a thought but if u dont ask u dont get?

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Byzantine Hippodrome

There would be no point; by the timeframe of the game the hippodrome had pretty much lost it's original function and was simply a glorified meeting place for public announcements, if that. Also, the racing factions had long since faded into the background. You mention four factions, but even by the time of Justinian there were but two of any real note, the greens and the blues. Those times are long gone, pal!

oh well there u r then, so yea from sounds of it not much point? its glory days had well n truly past by 1100 etc?

Yeap, sorry
    I'd probably wager more by 950-1000, let alone 1100.

Thats quite bad really when u think bout it? any idea y they allowed what i assume was a perfectly good and useable buildin 2 sit relatively unused (apart from the public announcements when there where any) 4 so long? i mean it was there even after the Ottoman conquest of the city... was there simply no interest in the races? or was it summin else that caused it 2 fall out of fashion??

There are any number of causes, but the primary one was, as you said, races falling out of fashion.