Thread: TATW 2.1 Fellowship Campaign Part 3 Guide aka "Missions Guide"

Moneybags14's Avatar Ordinarius

Default TATW 2.1 Fellowship Campaign Part 3 Guide aka "Missions Guide"

This is my attempt at making a guide for Part 3 or the "Missions Guide".

You can find the first two parts here in Valandurs thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=375137

Ok, guessing that you have made it this far and you have atleast found treebeard. I will show you how to do the characters individual missions(not the actual battles themselves as that is self explanatory). I am splitting the guides up as that is easier
    to do then have 1 long guide.

We begin with mary and pippen.
    Edit: Added Tactics for battle missions
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After finding treebeard you must put merry and pippen right outside Isengard and wait for 5 turns.
    As depicted in this screenshot.

Then move on back to fangorn forest with your evidence against the evil Isengard.

After 3-4 turns of waiting in fangorn forest Treebeard will finally get the balls to go take down
    that damned evil wizard sarumon for cutting down his cousins.

Once you have convinced Treebeard you should get a stack of 6 ents and 3 catapults to take down Isengard.

While you are attacking Isengard punch a whole in the wall with your catapults, after getting through the first wall watch for the tower fire ballistas becuase they will burn your catapults faster then a wildfire in california. If you don't want to risk your catapults to the ridiculous towers then chase the routing troops through their own gates with your ents(trust me, they will rout after seeing a big effin tree killing the rest of their buddies.) But sometimes the routing troops will just stand outside the gate and never retreat through it, so you have to blow a whole in the wall with your catapults but WATCH OUT for those towers.

After decimating Isengard get your units out of their or you lose the campaign. Treebeard rewards you
    for a succesful mission with 1 unit of ents which will come in handy later.

Now for mary and pippens other mission you must march on up to Hoarwall where the locals will beg
    for your help to kill ravenous trolls that are wondering about. If you want some tips on how to beat this
    mission click the spoiler.

Ok, this mission is very easy, here's how I did it. Line your archers up infront but on a higher elevation
    then the enemy so your arrows pack more of a punch. Target the trolls till you run out of ammo then charge in with your army(The trolls should be weak enough now from the arrow volleys that you will
    cut them down in no time.) After killing the trolls corner the snagas because they will try to skirmish
    on you and thats just not cool.

After completing this mission mary and pippen will have no more quests. So no more guide for them...

END OF MARY & PIPPEN GUIDE

Ok, time for the Legolas guide

Ok, some time after you and the fellowship seperate legolas needs to go back
    to his treehugging hippies up in Mirkwood to do some "orc cleansing".

After waiting near Thranduil's Halls for 1 turn you will get a mission to help out
    your pappa with mordor because mordor finally wants more then one settlement
    in Mirkwood...

You must wait near Thranduil's Halls for several turns and wait for mordor's army to appear. Merge
    Legolas with the elven army provided and sit tight.

Once the ork army arrives wait for it to be in contact near Thranduil's Halls so you can get some
    reinforcements in the battle (not like you need it.)

After decimating the mordor army remerge legolas with the army that the Silvan Elves provide you with
    because you are going to need it to take down (Dol Guldur.)

Now that you have been given reinforcements, the Quest Icon's description should now say
    Cleanse Mirkwood V.

Now move your army south to the highlighted location and siege the city of Dol Guldur. It's time
    rid Mirkwood of orcs once and for all!

Now that you have filled those orcish fiends full of arrows, its time to bug out of that wretched city or you lose the campaign

Finally, Mirkwood is cleansed of the orc infestation and Legolas
    can recruit elven mercs to help rejoin his friends near Minas Tirith for the "BIG ONE".

Here is your reward and the locations of mercenaries.

END OF LEGOLAS GUIDE

Lets spice this guide up a bit with the always entertaining Gimli. This is Gimli's Guide.

Now Gimli is ready for his true calling in life, fighting bad guys with an axe thats as tall as him.

Dale Quest

Move him up next to Dale(the city) and wait for 1 turn
    (make sure that you don't put him close enough for the other quest aswell
    or you might get confused on which quest wants what and it just complicates
    things so do 1 at a time.

After waiting your 1 turn you will get instructions to help Dale defend against Rhun
    (you must wait another turn next to Dale to get the location of the defense.)

Now you know where you must go(Lonsdale), merge gimli with the army that Dale gives to you and
    head towards Lonsdale(take the southern route near Esgaroth as this will avoid doing the Erebor quest.)

Camp out near lonsdale for a few turns and soon enough that army with the shiny armor comes
    knocking on your door.

With the Rhun army crushed and Lonsdale saved, go pick up your reward
    near Dale and hire some mercs.

Now its on too the other gimli quest near Erebor.

END OF GIMLI DALE GUIDE

Erebor Quest

Ok, now its time for the second phase of quests for gimli which starts near Erebor. Stand next
    to the city of Erebor for 1 turn.

Wala! Time to reclaim those mines that are rightfully ours and
    liberate Dains Halls (they should name it Gimli's Halls after this escapade.) Anyways, you have to wait
    another turn for the actual instructions so your war engine is put on halt for a turn.

Now its time to get serious!!! Merge Gimli's army with the dwarven army provided for you north of Erebor, i
    suggest you trade out all of your mercs because they don't get replenished and the Dwarven army disappears
    anyway after you are done with them anyway.

NOW, take ur short but stubborn mass of dwarves to Dains Halls to
    massacre those filthy orcs!!! (Dains Halls is located directly West of your reinforcements.)

Congradulations, you have retaken Dains Halls, now get out of there with Gimli or you lose the
    campaign

Its time to get back together with your mercs and pick up your reward near Erebor
    (yay! another reward .)

Finally you can go down to the Minas Tirith region and get ready for a big battle but don't
    forget that you can recruit some more mercs on the way!

END OF GIMLI EREBOR GUIDE

END OF GIMLI GUIDE

Ok, now its on to the white wizard himself. Gandalf's Guide

Gandalf's missions will be difficult to the first time player without a little guidance
    so here we go. Congradulations Gandalf! you have died and come back to life being even
    more pale then when you left! Ok, down to serious business, move Gandalf next to
    Edoras and wait a turn.

After standing near Edoras for 1 turn you recieve terrible news that Hornburg needs your help!
    Time to move on up to the Westfold region and wait 2 turns.

After you have gathered your buddies from the westfold its
    time to go help out at my 2nd favorite battle from the movies, HELMS DEEP!!! Send
    your massive army down to the Hornburggggggggggg, time to trample some Isengard trash with
    Rohans finest(well maybe not... but still.) You only have 5 turns to do this so don't mess around!!

Oh my, it seems that we are at a numerical disadvantage.

Poor orc pikemen, the only 1 left

AHA! You have crush Isengard's army because they weren't prepared for a horde of horses in
    rohan(who could've guessed?)

Ok, now you are done with Gandalfs missions(ya kinda short but
    sweet.) Get out there and be somebody!(chappelle show viewers should remember this) And
    like all other Heros, you can now recruit mercs from locations near your quests.

END OF GANDALF GUIDE

How could I forget about Frodo?

Frodo's Guide

Edit: Added Screenies of Ithilien Battle

So now we get to learn frodo's long list of quests! I will start with the
    black gate quest which requires Frodo to stand near the marker by the black
    gate. This however results in basically nothing but must be done to ensure
    that you are cool enough to head down to Minas Morgul.

Ok, now that we have learned that frodo just can't simply walk in mordor there has to be another
    way around. Head south and you will see 2 markers, 1 being the ithlien quest and the other being
    the minas morgul quest. If you go to minas morgul you can't do the ithlien quest
    so do the ithilien quest first.

Like all other quests, you must stand near the icon for a turn or 2.

You must also wait 1 more turn to gather the Ithilien troops for the ambush.

Wala! Now you are ready to ambush those desert dogs of Harad.

This is where Harad's army is located after the cinematic. Just sit near the quest icon with your
    army and wait to ambush them with your rangers.

Ok, now there is the army we are looking for, attack it now to they can't sneak by you!

If you want a tip on how to beat this as some people are having problems with it. Click the spoiler.

This quest is thought to be hard by some but I found it quite easy as archers are amazing and
    you have 8 of them... Just focus fire the mumakil with fire arrows and bam, there ya go. No more mumakil. And eliminate the rest of the forces with regular arrows and they should not give you any
    trouble after that.

My battle lines, 4 archers on the left with samwise and 4 archers on the right with frodo(the main
    army will target your side with frodo as he is the general including usually the mumakil.)

I targeted their archers with my one flank and the mumakil with the other. Remember to use
    fire arrows on those mumakil so they run amok!

After thinning the ranks of the archers to approx. 50-70% i target their cavalry as this is the second
    bigges threat to this flank.

Ahhh, the mumakil will soon rout from fire arrows and run through the ranks of harad's army.

My archers made quick works of those lancers.

4%-24% looking good

The mumakil are now running amok(I couldn't get them displaying that they are but they are.)

Now the mumakil have turned against the enemy! Let them be trampled by their mighty beasts!

Repositioning my right flank to coverfire for my left and also take out these trollmen charging my
    right flank.

Good old arrow volley of death.

They routed right after this volley.

Enemy general is KIA. Now its almost impossible to lose.

My left flank has fended off most of harad's army and now is just wiping out the small remainders.

Moving my right flank in front of my left flank to route the small remaining pockets of troops.

VICTORY!

Archers did it all.

The prisoners shall be executed because of Faramirs death!!

Yay! we successfully wiped out the haradriam forces! gondor is saved!
    Ok, back on track. Assuming you have beaten the quest you will recieve 3 ithilien rangers
    as a reward along with Faramir(another ithilien ranger unit.) Now you must try to sneak past
    minas morgul(not an easy task.) Stand by the quest symbol at minas morgul with frodo
    for a turn or 2.

ZOMG! What!? Frodo has been captured?!?! Thats impossible! He is da
    sneakiezt! How could you let Frodo get captured?! If frodo got captured then you did something
    wrong. Just kidding, he's supposed to get captured
    This is for later in the campaign.

ok, now you will remain imprisoned until you fight the battle of (da black gate.) Then you will be freed by i'm assuming gandalf because you aren't near anyone and gandalf is just that badass.

And the future king of Gondor. Aragorn's Guide

Ok, now to the most important hero(other then frodo but nobody likes him .) First you must make your
    way with aragorn to his first quest location, to the left of Edoras. Sit there for a turn and you will
    granted 3 wishes. No I'm just kidding, you will actually be told to wait in edoras for some grey company
    but you don't have to stand right next to edoras, just look at my screenie if you can't find where to wait.

Once you have waited your turn you get your shady lookin archers ^_^ Merge aragorn with the greycompany and sit in the mountain pass with the quest for aragorn.

There you will find the army of the dead!! (but you don't get an undead army so don't sit there and wait for one haha.)

Here are the screenies of all your gondorian quests at this stage.

Just mosey on towards the west where you see the rebellion quest (you don't have to do this one first but its the farthest away thats why I did it first.)

Remember that you can pick up mercenaries as you go along so the quests won't be as hard or you can try to prove your wits and take down whole armies with aragorn and his old company, be my guest

Ok, assuming that you picked the rebellion quest first, here is its location, you must sit next to it for 1
    turn. Then you will be given 3 rebel forces to deal with, you must defeat them in (# of turns). This is where the mercenaries come in handy.

One of the rebels that doesn't have a chance. Use your cavalry and you should have no problem.

Awww man, I lost 1 person

One down 2 to go and this guy is next.

OMG! I won! but with 300% more casulties then the last battle

Its time to finish off these rebel pieces of once and for all!

Saving the best for last...

I won but i forgot to get a screenie, but you have to wait a turn to get your reward.

Defeat the 3 amigos and you will be allowed to use the locals army for future use. That is 1 quest down, 2 to go!

Now that you have acquired some more rabel to pledge their lives for you, its time for you get some, and by that I mean you have to go down and rescue a princess. Head on down to Dol Amroth, located near the sea and right next to the quest icon. This quest will be an exciting one and is one of my favorites.

Aha! We are finally there.

Stand next to the icon for 1 turn and you will be greeted, or should i say, sadly told that prince imrahil lost his smokin hot princess. Which he is obviously to lazy to go get himself so i guess we'll go do it for him (lazy prick.)

You must wait 1 more turn near Dol Amroth for reinforcements (ships) to go to Umbar.

Ok, time to sail to the foribidden lands of Umbar. Remember you only have 12 turns to do this so don't slack off. Get in the boat and head south.

Unload your forces in the Umbar port and attack the army right next to the cage with the princess in it.

This is the man with the keys who is gunna get WTFROFLPWNED for taking the princess. Its time to take him down... (Not the city the army outside the city.)

Some prepattle info. (I think we got a clear advantage.)

YES!! The cage around the princess has been lifted! Now lets grab her and get outta here. Put her and aragorn on the ship and head back to Dol Amroth. You must be quick, remember that your ships are slower then the enemies and it's critical that you get a head start.

Notice how fast im gettin out of dodge.

Aha, good thing you listened to me because you only have 5 turns left to reach the shoreline of Dol Amroth or the Kraken is gunna get you. Just kiddin, the kraken isn't going to get you, but you will die

Ok, assuming that you brought the princess back to imrahil instead of keeping
    her for yourself, you are going to get heavily rewarded!

Yay! Moving on, we are gunna take are newly acquired Swan Knights to deal with our last quest shown with Aragorn, the corsairs!.!.! March towards the questpoint and stand near it, it will be the city
    pelagir.

Stand next to the quest icon for 1 turn.

You must defeat the corsairs within 4 turns or ELSE!

Ahhh, we are victorious.

Bam, you have saved Pelagir from total annihalation, you are the man. Now you get to add 3 pelagrir marines to you full stack! Nothing can stop you now muhahahaha. However, it seems that there is nothing left for aragorn to do...

Alas, we must wait another turn for more missions.

Will edit the guide if not enough info is present.
    Will also add a guide describing from all individual missions till the end of the campaign. (I.E. from Minas Tirith onwards) if there is a great need for it or several people ask for it.
    Last edited by Moneybags14; August 13, 2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Posted Pictures of Ithilien Mission Battle

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: TATW 2.1 Fellowship Campaign Part 3 Guide aka "Missions Guide"

Rep to Moneybags guys.
    He's nearly finished what a lazy me couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann View Post
    They would be incorrect. The only path to happiness is through Christ.

Thanks valandur! I admire what you did doing 2 parts as 1 part alone took me almost a week!

first of all very nice guide! especially frodos one, finally beat the mumakil!
    but i got a suggestion: you should add battle tactics(like you did in frodos quest) to all of the battles that you list coz some ppl may have trouble beating them

signature and avatar were made by Grímbóld'

first of all very nice guide! especially frodos one, finally beat the mumakil!
    but i got a suggestion: you should add battle tactics(like you did in frodos quest) to all of the battles that you list coz some ppl may have trouble beating them
    EDIT: for some reason it posted my post twice.... sorry for that

signature and avatar were made by Grímbóld'

Thanks ELB. I might put tips for the battles when I get the time. I still have to upload Aragorn's Guide which will take awhile but I'll try to do it today.

Yeah I still don't quite understand how you beat the Harad battle with Frodo so easily? I guess I'm not understanding your instructions on it.

I'm also having trouble on the battle of Pellenor fields (or however it's spelled, the battle outside Minas Tirrith). I won the battle but for some reason Frodo just died or disappeared after the battle! Is it because one of my characters died in the battle?

Ok Dr.Nick, Here is some more tips on how to beat the Harad battle. When you are in the deployment stage of the battle(before you hit play game) set your archers up into 2 groups so if one gets overrun the other can shoot them in the back(also harad's archers will usually target the same group so one will not be fired at.) Try this and see if it helps. Remember you have 8 archers and if you are up on hills you will do much more damage then being on level ground.

Edit: Added some screenies describing what i was trying to explain just for you Dr.Nick
    Last edited by Moneybags14; August 11, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

MkdRanger's Avatar Tiro

how to destroy the ring i win the black gate battle and frodi is just siting around mt doom nothing happens

Quote Originally Posted by MkdRanger View Post
    how to destroy the ring i win the black gate battle and frodi is just siting around mt doom nothing happens

You must leave him near mount doom for multiple turns (i think its like 5 or something, maybe more) then he will destroy the ring. Hope this helps you out

MkdRanger's Avatar Tiro

ty

You're welcome

The guidance on Gandalf's mission is the easy part, the battle is the big problem.

If I charge right in their pike men and archers slaughter my Riders. If I wait his heavy infrantry slaughters my allies.

Are anyone aware of any significant changes from 2.1 to the 3.1 fellowship campaign? If there are very few I would like to add this guide to the Guide Compilation thread!

I'm fixing the campaign to improve the gameplay and make it more challenging. Would anyone be interested? I can upload a patch for TATW version 3.2.
    The only fatal bug that I haven't been able to solve yet, is that every time Hobbiton is selected, the game crashes, but it is fully playable ignoring Hobbiton, you don't need to interact with the capital at all.

Another bug is crashes on the battle with the Balrog, but it's totally random. But a single balrog spawns without visual glitches and fights properly using "Large" size (recommended size for the campaign). I have reduced his HP and increased his damage to the maximum to reduce the duration of the battle against him and therefore reduce the probability of crashes.
    I've used the creatures fix, but while it still works fine with the fix, it still crashes, so in the end I decided to keep the original Balrog with just a few minor changes.
    I could also do some additions to the guide like conquering cities to get some more money and recruit more mercenaries.
    Last edited by Toranks; October 11, 2022 at 03:20 AM.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Here Firefreak says he's made fixes for Fellowship campaign in his map mod: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...=#post12497530
    Maybe just worth a look what he's done.