Thread: the Art Critics thread

Product Designer

Default the Art Critics thread

Whats this?
    In this thread you can post your finished artwork, and receive helpful feedback on, ways to improve.

Rules

• Only post helpful feedback, or your artwork.

When Posting Art:

• Only post something YOU made.
    • The artwork posted has to be a FINISHED.
    • You may only post it ONCE, do not post the same thing multiple times after you have improved it.
    • You may NOT post a new artwork if an artwork posted earlier has not yet received any critics yet, unless it has been 24 hours since it was posted (If you happen to post on the same time as someone else then this is ok). Or 12 hours if the artwork is in signature size(175 x 550px)
    • Tell us something about the work, what emotions are you trying to show? What kind of style are you going for? Tell us what you wanted to achieve trough this.

When Criticizing:

• Only post CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.
    • ANYONE can post critics, as long as its helpful.
    • post critics on RECENTLY posted artwork, don't comment on something pages back.

Last edited by Maяcel; August 06, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
    DESARC92 / Product Design
    Once known as MarcelP | Product Designer | Under the Patronage of Legio
    Marcel's Modder's Resources | Tutorials | The Graphics Workshop

Default Re: the Art Critics thread

You may only post it ONCE, do not post the same thing multiple times after you have improved it.
    That's a very bad rule.

But it's a great idea

Mugg's Avatar Semisalis

Please be gentle...xD
    Last edited by Mugg; August 07, 2010 at 10:18 AM.

Wrath of the Norsemen Researcher and Historian and Second Age Total War 2D Helper

Product Designer

Added a rule i forgot. a rule to help those criticizing know what you were going for.
    @Killerbee, you only need to post something once if you get good feedback, no point in posting something that no one knows what can be improved.

Gregory, i think the grungy overlay, especially those lines going trough the Sig is a nice touch. Now for things to improve:

• It looks rather flat, the lines going trough it are straight lines, which only enforces that. Another thing that is causing this is that its all rather light. I'd suggest darkening the blacks a bit, and maybe to make the area below the gun, and the top left darker, to increase the depth.
    • The guy is placed well, the diagonal composition gives it a bit of motion which is a lot more interesting to look at, and gives it a bit more action. nothing to suggest here.
    • The border is rather simple, try different things to create more exciting ones. a light/dark gray ~3px border set on overlay maybe.
    • The sig is rather square, this imo makes sigs a bit less attractive. making it a bit less high, and maybe even a bit more wide would do wonders.
    • add some more color, a gradient map set to overlay, with lowered opacity can be useful. If you darken some areas a bit more this might not be so needed tho, but currently the color is rather plain, mostly grayish
    DESARC92 / Product Design
    Once known as MarcelP | Product Designer | Under the Patronage of Legio
    Marcel's Modder's Resources | Tutorials | The Graphics Workshop

Can i revive this topic ?

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Absolutely. I like it, a lot. I would add some more light to the text as it's very hard to read as it is.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

i will edit it today . thanks a lot .

There ya Go