Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice please?

Default Advice please?

SS6.3 and TATW 2.0 have just been released.

I have limited time, and haven't yet had the chance to play either, let alone do any modding work.

I do plan to update TATW RR/RC to 2.0.

In regards to SS6.3, I am unsure how to proceed, should I cease work on this mod, as 6.3 seems to be very good? Should I borrow elements of 6.3 and add them in and continue this as a separate sub-mod?

Default Re: Advice please?

I would love to see continued updates for RR/RC, it's one of the best sub mods for pretty much everything. To see it fall to silly elves and orcs would be blasphemous indeed.

I haven't played SS 6.3, but you've created a z0mg awesome gameplay that feels much more realistic, strategic and well awesome. If thou doesn't have time, perhaps seek aid from other modders and see if they would help with doing the work that doesn't need your specific attention. All the game design and balancing I'm sure could be your job or adding new features where other modders could do the more FUUUUU work.

Anyways, it'd be a shame to see RR/RC cease production as it's one of my favorite mods ever. As soon as I found this compilation I started playing ASAP and have enjoyed it for well over a year. Plix plox don't leave it for elves and orcs.

ferretboy's Avatar Foederatus

Please continue with RR/RC its Really Great maybe get rid of Scotland in favour of a Balkan faction like Serbia

I'm with vernah. I play other mods just to see different units, but this is my main mod. The AI for this mod is unbeatable. The battleAI is infuriating at times! I don't know how many times I've been frustrated by the enemy not falling into my traps. (bastards!) It must be changes you have made because I haven't ran into problem with other mods. I appreciate the tweaks you have done on the unit stats along with the efforts to make everything more realistic. (I have learned helluva lot!) I would love to see this mod continued.
    I don't always talk in tautologies, but when I do, I talk in tautologies.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

In regards to SS6.3, I am unsure how to proceed, should I cease work on this mod, as 6.3 seems to be very good? Should I borrow elements of 6.3 and add them in and continue this as a separate sub-mod?
    P.B. why not let it set for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Let the folks play a few compaigns and if your hard core following does not like SS6.3 let them present their cases to you...

Congratulations on Fatherhood by the way... Boy? Girl? No one told me how things turned out....
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

I think you should work on TATW for a bit as not too forget it, and then when done with that return here toaddress the issues that will have arisen *as there are always issues with something >.<*

I think you should go on with RR/RC on the top of 6.3, but focus more in specific areas (like unit roster refactoring, unit balancing, filling up the remaining faction slots), rather than integrating all the cool new mods that you find out there. Let the SS team work on mod integration. Work more in the "RR/RC" and less in the "Compilation".

It would be nice to have a detailed list of every feature from RR/RC Compilation that was left out in SS 6.3.

For instance, I didn't like that they removed supply lines for the non-BGR version. BGR feels to restrictive for me, but the supply lines were a good compromise (for me anyway).

Well it depends on where you see things going... 6.3 seems a nice step forward but a couple things could be improved- BftB2 units integrated, and new faction please! Few other small things probably but I'd have to make a list when I play more of it. Those just the 2 I can immediately remember.

A new faction likely to take the most work but really, a new Muslim faction like 2nd Turks or Abbasid would be wonderful. Georgia, Armenia, Burgundy, Wallochia/Bulgaria also possible.

I know unit limits are a concern but I'm sure could come up with a list of some excessive units and especially if do 2nd Turks a few of their units could be mutual.

If a new faction is too much then maybe 1370 campaign could be done or the 1450 reworked. So there is still plenty of stuff possible to do and you seemt o be one of the few modders working on medieval era who tries to put some realism first while keeping gameplay considerations in mind.

Girl.

There are no remaining faction slots.

In the 6.3 version notes it said that "most" features of RR were implemented. I would want to know what was left out and why, as so far you have provided excellent justification for all your decisions concerning the RR/RC, and I have consequently developed a good deal of trust in your judgment.

I am not yet sure what 6.3 changes from 6.2, and I don't see why the RR/RC mod does not become a full part of the basic SS install. Who wants LESS realism? Who wants junky archers to decimate elite troops? The ultimate compromise would be having a RR/RC box that you can tick upon installing SS. I don't know how much work that requires, but I think that would be the best solution. Ticking the box would change the path to another EDU, or something. I don't know anything about programming.

At the moment, I don't see what the big deal about TATW 2.0 is. Once I read more about it (and find out if there were good reasons for including the new factions), I may change my mind, but at this time I was planning to give 1.4.1 a whirl, with RR/RC.

Then, once the latest SS RR/RC patch is ready, I want to try Norway, Byzantines, Egypt, Turks, France, HRE, Venice, Genoa, Poland, Moors, and redo Khwarezm and the Crusader States.

If 6.3 doesn't have full RR/RC implemented, then I won't be playing it, as 6.2 RR/RC is fabulous already. Same for TATW 2.0.

One other reason why I like you is that you're one of the few people on this forum who can spell "separate".

I don't see why the RR/RC mod does not become a full part of the basic SS install. Who wants LESS realism?
    P.B.'s stuff is overly restrictive.... "If" you can build the structure, you should be rewarded with the units..."Player perogatiove"...yo

Who wants junky archers to decimate elite troops?
    We do...player call...yo..If you don't want to decimate then, do not do so....
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; August 04, 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: "if"

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Girl.

There are no remaining faction slots.

In the 6.3 version notes it said that "most" features of RR were implemented. I would want to know what was left out and why, as so far you have provided excellent justification for all your decisions concerning the RR/RC, and I have consequently developed a good deal of trust in your judgment.
    That sounds very demanding. Not too be rude myself, but if anything was left out of 6.3 (Which Gracul compiled and created, not Point Blank) if you trust them, then that means playing without knowing. Also, things such as the faction crown mod were left out, but were implemented in another way.
    I am not yet sure what 6.3 changes from 6.2, and I don't see why the RR/RC mod does not become a full part of the basic SS install. Who wants LESS realism? Who wants junky archers to decimate elite troops? The ultimate compromise would be having a RR/RC box that you can tick upon installing SS. I don't know how much work that requires, but I think that would be the best solution. Ticking the box would change the path to another EDU, or something. I don't know anything about programming.
    RR is availible upon installing 6.3.
    And if someone wants less realism, it is there choice. And that includes plenty of people, including myself. I don't install the super realism mod from Byg because I think its more fun another way. Everyone is entitled too their own opinion, and it would be rude to force your decision on them in anyway.
    At the moment, I don't see what the big deal about TATW 2.0 is. Once I read more about it (and find out if there were good reasons for including the new factions), I may change my mind, but at this time I was planning to give 1.4.1 a whirl, with RR/RC.
    The big deal is, its a fun mod, and King Kong helped make it! I see an average of more people viewing that game then this, so upgrading the RR/RC would not be a bad idea.
    Then, once the latest SS RR/RC patch is ready, I want to try Norway, Byzantines, Egypt, Turks, France, HRE, Venice, Genoa, Poland, Moors, and redo Khwarezm and the Crusader States.
    If 6.3 doesn't have full RR/RC implemented, then I won't be playing it, as 6.2 RR/RC is fabulous already. Same for TATW 2.0.

One other reason why I like you is that you're one of the few people on this forum who can spell "separate".
    It does if you want it too. Its your choice. The only things not included were some of the mini-mods that followed it around, or the Templars being the Crusaders (Not sure if this was the working of RR or not.), some units had to be changed around. You should try something out before you bash it, that sounds ignorant.

Separate.

Mega. RAWRRR. I spent 6 minutes picking apart that post. *Sigh* beat me again..

Mega. RAWRRR. I spent 6 minutes picking apart that post. *Sigh* beat me again..

Huhh..what????????????????????????????????????

P.B. It is VERY rude not to share the joy of your good fortune with me....

Tuveras............ "Dios Te Vendiga" Go your own way and prosper.........."Peace"...

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    SS6.3 and TATW 2.0 have just been released.

I have limited time, and haven't yet had the chance to play either, let alone do any modding work.

I do plan to update TATW RR/RC to 2.0.

I suggest you try to find out how different 6.3 is to 6.2 in terms of what you would have to alter. Once you have an idea of the enormity of the task the decision will become clearer.

I'm in the same boat. I have just designed BGRV based on the previous compilation version with a lot of very specific code for its settlements and units and this time I have no autoinstaller to do the repetititve work for me. I'll have to readapt it (hopefully only a little) for the latest compilation version (ps. are there lots of changed settlements or units?).

Starting again for 6.3 isn't something I relish effortwise, but I have, for example, previously supported Gracul's efforts for an AI friendly map, so I'll probably adapt it eventually, sooner if it's simpler.

You could continue with your own version as it must surely be close to completion and then take a look at 6.3 at your leisure.

What do you most want from 6.3?

Finally, you should call your next version SS6.4 so that an interesting animosity could develop between the two mods.
    Last edited by Byg; August 04, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

I don't find it overly restrictive. Yo. And obviously many people don't either.

It's a more fun mod than 1.4? Are the differences between it and 1.4 that great?

"It does if you want it too. Its your choice."

No, it's not my choice, it's PB's.

"You should try something out before you bash it, that sounds ignorant. "

Psh. Ever heard of "sine qua non"?

And since when does not being interested in something mean you're bashing it?

Wanting to know about why certain things were done in a mod is demanding now?

Yo, do a player call and see who wants to have Levy Archers able take down Lancers.

If you can build the structure, you shouldn't be rewarded with the units until the historical time frame. Player prerogative.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    I don't find it overly restrictive. Yo. And obviously many people don't either.

It's a more fun mod than 1.4? Are the differences between it and 1.4 that great?

"It does if you want it too. Its your choice."

No, it's not my choice, it's PB's. Actually, its the way you interpret it. PB can't decide whether you like something or not, if you decide

"You should try something out before you bash it, that sounds ignorant. "

Psh. Ever heard of "sine qua non"? I have. And that really has no relation to the discussion.

And since when does not being interested in something mean you're bashing it? Deciding something isn't good enough until you try it, in my book yes, that is bashing it. Maybe it was not your intention to come off hostile, but it sounds to me like your saying the mod isn't good enough for you.

Wanting to know about why certain things were done in a mod is demanding now? Again, you sound hostile. The way I read it, you sound as if you deserve a justification.

Yo, do a player call and see who wants to have Levy Archers able take down Lancers. Don't worry, they still can't. I just tried it, defenitly not happening.

If you can build the structure, you shouldn't be rewarded with the units until the historical time frame. Player prerogative. There is no should or shouldn't. Theres just the way they made it, and your opinion about it. Reguardless if what your player perogative is, I like the fact that you get units based on time frame, but not everyone does, and they should do what they want.
    By the way, it's rude to make fun of the way someone converses.

So 6.3 does indeed have RR/RC implemented in it? Even unit wise? Gah many questions to ask now on what's in 6.3.

Imo RR/RC should continue on 6.3 because it is the greatest thing ever made by Buddha, and by his belly the epicness must continue!

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

I play both TATW and 6.3 but I think, if you are forced to choose between them, that integrating RR/RC with 6.3 should be your main concern simply because of the sheer amount of work that had gone into Stainless Steel making it very close to perfection. TATW is fun, but most of that fun comes from being able to emulate the movies/books rather than trying to provide the most immersive and balanced playing experience possible. Stainless Steel is nearing such perfection that I think it would be a shame if wasn't updated some time in the future. That, however, is only my opinon, I'm sure there are many who disagree with this point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernah View Post
    So 6.3 does indeed have RR/RC implemented in it? Even unit wise? Gah many questions to ask now on what's in 6.3.

Imo RR/RC should continue on 6.3 because it is the greatest thing ever made by Buddha, and by his belly the epicness must continue!
    If turned on, everything! Minus one or two mini mods chosen not too be put in, and a few units that where removed to make room for other units. Generally, im having so much fun with RR/RC like never before! Expecially with the new added forts. And rebels, they can do a lota fighting.

I´d just like to see the current version of this mod finished.

I´m wary of starting a new campaign until the "Final beta" thread becomes a "Last hotfix released" thread.

okay here is what I suggest, and I believe, it is enough for majority of SS RR/RC fans

1. update the campaign map to the 6.3 version
    2. update the rebel capability -for example 6.3 has rebel merchants-
    3. update the CAI and BAI

the rest of current RR/RC already much resembles SS6.3

but, to what extend? to make me interested, it has to be at least the same as july version.
    Last edited by napoleonic; August 04, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast