Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last King of Dacia

Default Re: Last King of Dacia

I don't think that video does Romania justice really. And sadly they used a few things that aren't really that Romanian. Either way personally I dig Romania, but that doesn't have anything to do with Dacia. Nor does Dacia have anything to do with Romania, even though dacians might make up a large part of the Romanian ancestors. Nor is this discussion even remotely on topic...

Seriously people I believe we were talking about something else. As interesting and pleasant to talk about, but probably even more. Beer and women. Lots of Beer and lots of women.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Moros; August 07, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martin-bs View Post
    I am posting that in response to all nationalistic comments and posts written by natives from the Balkans (Romanians included and please don't get me started on another pointless argument whether Romania is in this group or not).

Before writing or posting anything more, very very please read some scientific works in the field. When I say scientific that would mean not written by your compatriots.

In Bulgaria, for example, I am aware of evidences of systematic fornication of historical finds (Archeologist with shovels making expansions of slavic dwellings in order to present them as not less developed by the other contemporary to them groups in the region), as well as of systematic destruction of evidences (The archeologists discover 2 royal thracian tombs. They throw out the pottery and all other not so valuable ("value" as "market value") finds and take all other mainly golden artifacts away in dozens of bags. The result: several finds exhibited in museums, many happy collectors). How can you trust any works written by people driven by either sick nationalistic motives or even worse - purely materialistic ones. Let me save you the suspense - Bulgaria is by no means special case in the Balkans. Just listen to what an average Romanian or Macedonian knows about history (I have no disrespect towards the people for I rather like them , but towards the way history is taught to them).

I hope that would be the last time anybody writes a comment about the historic "science" in the Balkans and tries to bring evidences via a 19th century Romanian poem . Dan Rares, please don't embarrass us all! We have already turned ourselves to the laughing stock of the EB community.
    I am inclined to agree with you sir.

I am going to say it briefly, the nowadays area of Romania have been ruled by so many different groups/tribes/nations/empires that its hard to say Romanians = Dacians or Romanians = Avars, Romanians = Huns, Romanians = Romans, Romanian = Gepids etc etc. You are a mixed country like so many in europe. There is no modern nation which have stayed in ethnicity and in culture the same for over 2000 years. But this thread is about Dacia.
    Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; August 07, 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Thread cleaned.

A few notes for all members in general:

- Somebody disagreeing with you is not a valid excuse to throw an entire thread into an off-topic tangent.
    - Somebody disagreeing with you does not automatically make them a criminal/horrible person/racist, etc.
    - Sending PMs to people with insults and name-calling is not allowed. Private Messages still operate under the site's Terms of Service.
    - Just because a member may hijack a thread doesn't permit everyone else to also go off-topic. Just report the offending post and move on.

Following these points will result in a most satisfactory ending for everyone.
    Last edited by Thanatos; August 07, 2010 at 06:31 PM.

Dan Rares's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Kyho View Post
    I am going to say it briefly, the nowadays area of Romania have been ruled by so many different groups/tribes/nations/empires that its hard to say Romanians = Dacians or Romanians = Avars, Romanians = Huns, Romanians = Romans, Romanian = Gepids etc etc. You are a mixed country like so many in europe. There is no modern nation which have stayed in ethnicity and in culture the same for over 2000 years. But this thread is about Dacia.

You got the point this thread is about Dacia . not about balkans and so on ...

And from Greece all the modern concepts came to be. Like liberty or democracy.
    I don't get this. The concept of Demokratia was not at all democratic in the modern sense. Athenian democracy was very flawed. If you want to know who came up with the modern concept of democracy and liberalism, you should take a look at politicians like Montesquieu and Robespierre and writers like Voltaire.
    This space intentionally left blank.

this discution is funny, though I am romanian myself the (least to say) naivity of of enthuziastical members of the south eastern peoples of Europe is very amusing. to sum up, the today's Romanians are as much dacians as they are ancient Romans :close to under 5% (though the pre-university education tends to say that there is a 50-50 ratio which is somehow retarded)

back on topic, regarding the dacian history and culture, very few is actually known, Herodotus is the basic source of Dacian culture and customs, and he actualy got this information from traders coming from the black sea colonies, never actually been to Dacian homeland. the next sources are basically re-edits of his writings. The fact that Dacians did not use writing (some Romanians today actually think that they communicated telepathically thus not needing it) ,except form the Celtic minority which was by any means superior to the locals (iron-working, pottery and decorations), is also a big problem. To make matters worse Train's chronicle about the was\rs was lost in the joyful destruction of ancient knowledge is Baghdad by the mongols.

What is reasonable to say is that the dacian culture was basically similar to most other "barbarian" cultures: tribal societies based on family ties, inferior to the Gauls or the more hellenized Thracians

Also they probably were not the ones who invented ancient flying machines, first written language, civilization discoverers of America (this IS actually what a group of Romanian enthusiasts actually belive)
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation

The dacha has never been a kingdom but a collection of tribes .

One thing i actually am pretty sure about is that they were the first to embrace monoteism... I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacian Invasion View Post
    One thing i actually am pretty sure about is that they were the first to embrace monoteism... I could be wrong though.
    the dacian religion is not known very well, but it is clearly a politheistic religion (similar to the Greek), the fact that many people, including you, have heard only about the (probably) human-god Zalmoxis, leads to the unfortunate impression of a great civilization in the Carpathians.
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation

Burebista and Decebal were kings of the thracians not of the "dacians"! Don't believe the crap that was introduced during communism in schools! The story is much bigger! Dacians were in modern day area of Banat, the thracians were on a much larger area! Thracians from Ardeal: apuli, thracians from the Carpathians: carpi, thracians from east of Olt: buri, suci, from the Nistru :geti, from Banat: dacians! The dacians were like today's californians, a people from a region, part of a bigger nation! Burebista was a geti, king of Thrace(Tracia)! Dromihete, Oroles, all of them were kings of Thrace! "Samothrace" a island im the Aegean Sea, was a thracian island before in was a greek island! And the examples can continue! Only today's romanians speak a language which is latin, and has also many thracian words! Remember, thracian, not dacian!

Quote Originally Posted by Misantropia View Post
    this discution is funny, though I am romanian myself the (least to say) naivity of of enthuziastical members of the south eastern peoples of Europe is very amusing. to sum up, the today's Romanians are as much dacians as they are ancient Romans :close to under 5% (though the pre-university education tends to say that there is a 50-50 ratio which is somehow retarded)

back on topic, regarding the dacian history and culture, very few is actually known, Herodotus is the basic source of Dacian culture and customs, and he actualy got this information from traders coming from the black sea colonies, never actually been to Dacian homeland. the next sources are basically re-edits of his writings. The fact that Dacians did not use writing (some Romanians today actually think that they communicated telepathically thus not needing it) ,except form the Celtic minority which was by any means superior to the locals (iron-working, pottery and decorations), is also a big problem. To make matters worse Train's chronicle about the was\rs was lost in the joyful destruction of ancient knowledge is Baghdad by the mongols.

What is reasonable to say is that the dacian culture was basically similar to most other "barbarian" cultures: tribal societies based on family ties, inferior to the Gauls or the more hellenized Thracians

Also they probably were not the ones who invented ancient flying machines, first written language, civilization discoverers of America (this IS actually what a group of Romanian enthusiasts actually belive)
    It is funny indeed, and you joined this funny stuff pretty well.
    So, i didnt know that some measurements was done (by who) and that romanians as far as 5 % dacians or romans. How was reach that percent, i am quite curious?

And what are the writings of the "superior" celtic minority? And how this "superior" minority (and celts as an all, not just from some parts of Dacia) was then eliminated as important presence in eastern and central Europe by dacians?

As well, you can provide some examples of superiority of gauls or hellenized thracians, from constructions to military etc.?

There is some peoples who believe that dacians was the center of the universe and they invented all, but for them there is another group of peoples, as wrong and silly as the first ones, who believe that dacians was some peoples who almost barely know how to make a fire.
    Last edited by diegis; August 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyho View Post
    Yes, pretty much all peoples of Europe (and most of the world) have some mixing, and nobody can say are 100% "pure" and not mixed with others (well, maybe eskimoos or pigmy or some lost tribes in Amazonia).
    But fact is that some parts from that mix are dominants and in the case of romanians, this is dacians and romans (and then other minor ones). In that order, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Misantropia View Post
    the dacian religion is not known very well, but it is clearly a politheistic religion (similar to the Greek), the fact that many people, including you, have heard only about the (probably) human-god Zalmoxis, leads to the unfortunate impression of a great civilization in the Carpathians.
    It is not sure about that. This is an interesting article (with a very good bibliography)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25058770/G...cians-Religion

So it might be monotheistic or henotheistic more probably, possible politheistic, but this is the last posibility in my top. Anyway, not near of that greek religion

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dacian Invasion View Post
    There have been plenty examples of monotheism from earlier periods, one that springs to mind is Judaism.

Quote Originally Posted by abdul aziz View Post
    Burebista and Decebal were kings of the thracians not of the "dacians"! Don't believe the crap that was introduced during communism in schools! The story is much bigger! Dacians were in modern day area of Banat, the thracians were on a much larger area! Thracians from Ardeal: apuli, thracians from the Carpathians: carpi, thracians from east of Olt: buri, suci, from the Nistru :geti, from Banat: dacians! The dacians were like today's californians, a people from a region, part of a bigger nation! Burebista was a geti, king of Thrace(Tracia)! Dromihete, Oroles, all of them were kings of Thrace! "Samothrace" a island im the Aegean Sea, was a thracian island before in was a greek island! And the examples can continue! Only today's romanians speak a language which is latin, and has also many thracian words! Remember, thracian, not dacian!
    True the Dacians were a part of the larger Thracian group, but they were a distinct part. You wouldn't refer to Vercingetorix as King of the Celts so why would you call Burebista King of Thrace?

A good simlar situation to compare it to would be the Celtiberians and the Gauls, they were both part of the large Celtic group but you wouldn't start calling Celtiberians Gauls and vice versa, there were related but still very different.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    There have been plenty examples of monotheism from earlier periods, one that springs to mind is Judaism.

True the Dacians were a part of the larger Thracian group, but they were a distinct part. You wouldn't refer to Vercingetorix as King of the Celts so why would you call Burebista King of Thrace?

A good simlar situation to compare it to would be the Celtiberians and the Gauls, they were both part of the large Celtic group but you wouldn't start calling Celtiberians Gauls and vice versa, there were related but still very different.

Simply, because Burebista was a geti, not a dacian, and he was the king of Thracia! A geti couldn't be a dacian king, and Burebista wasn't a geti king also, it was a Thracian king! The same as Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb who was a kurd by born, but he became the sultan of Egypt and Syria, and the ruler of all muslims of that period! The same, Burebista was the king of all thracians!

Quote Originally Posted by abdul aziz View Post
    The same as Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb who was a kurd by born, but he became the sultan of Egypt and Syria, and the ruler of all muslims of that period!
    Now this statement made me doubt everything you will say. Obviously you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Also i think Geti and Daci many times refer to the same people in writings...

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Now this statement made me doubt everything you will say. Obviously you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Also i think Geti and Daci many times refer to the same people in writings...
    It's your opinion!
    "Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb (Kurdish: سه*لاحه*دین ئه*یوبی, Selah'edînê Eyubî, Arabic: صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎) (c. 1138 – March 4, 1193), better known in the Western world as Saladin, was a Kurdish[2][3] Muslim, who became the first Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt and Syria. He led Islamic opposition to the Franks and other European Crusaders in the Levant. "

And yes, the geti and dacians were the same people, yes they were all thracians!

I know who Saladin was... But saying he was the ruler of all the muslims is absurd... You realise that right? There were Islamic kingdoms all over the world at that time, and Saladin had only Egypt + Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    I know who Saladin was... But saying he was the ruler of all the muslims is absurd... You realise that right? There were Islamic kingdoms all over the world at that time, and Saladin had only Egypt + Syria
    Maybe i didn't expressed myself very clearly! I ment to say, ruler of all muslims in the region! I know of course that at the time Sallahudin conquered Jerusalem, there were other muslim kingdoms, even in Spain( the moors)! And maybe the example wasn't the best, but you understood the analogy!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast