Page 98 of 361 FirstFirst ... 4873888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108123148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 7212

Thread: Name that historical figure!

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Ah, finally a positive answer Okay if he's not Eastern European, is he Southern European?

Btw, if I may ask, do you really live in Venice? I've been there and obviously the town is full of tourists, while the number of real inhabitants seems to be quite low now.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Yes, he is a ruler of a medieval state in Southern Europe and yes, I live in Venice (the old town, with canals and tourists!)
    We are more or less 60000, but there are more than 50000 tourists per day!
    Last edited by Grymloq; October 08, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymloq View Post
    Yes, he is a ruler of a medieval state in Southern Europe and yes, I live in Venice (the old town, with canals and tourists!)
    We are more or less 60000, but there are more than 50000 tourists per day!
    Being uncreative... an Italian ruler?

Ah wow, cool! How is it to live there? Are the tourists very annoying?
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Ok, he was an Italian ruler, you think to be clever, don't you ?
    I love to live here, and would not change city, though living in Venice has some difficulties. Tourists are not so annoying (except when a herd of them marches in disarray through a narrow street )

Quote Originally Posted by Grymloq View Post
    Ok, he was an Italian ruler, you think to be clever, don't you ?
    I love to live here, and would not change city, though living in Venice has some difficulties. Tourists are not so annoying (except when a herd of them marches in disarray through a narrow street )
    I do A Venetian Doge? Although he doesn't seem to be Pietro Orseolo or Enrico Dandolo

Yeah I can imagine that When I was there 4 years ago we had to get our ferry to Greece and me and a mate were late and with the masses of tourists it looked like we wouldn't get there in time. My mate solved the problem by shouting ''Attentione, Attentione!'' like all the guys who transport goods through the city do and indeed people made way for us

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I have a feeling that the guy is Venetian, Florentine or Roman (Medieval Rome).
    Hey Grymloq, do you know who painted that picture of the Black Prince, cause I can't seem to figure it out.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The artist seems to be Benjamin Burnell
    My guy is not Venetian, Florentine or Roman, sorry! I am giving to you too many clues, in the future I'll be more mean

Okay let's do a wild guess then, Simone Boccanegra?

Now the time has come where I should start to be embarassed... or not, because no one else knows it as well

Is he even Northern Italian or from Southern Italy/Sicily?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't even think he is Italian anymore, the art style looked like middle medieval period in Rome, Florence or Venice but he may also be like mid 1200's - early 1400's Sicilian. Or the statue is Greek or from the Balkans.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    I don't even think he is Italian anymore, the art style looked like middle medieval period in Rome, Florence or Venice but he may also be like mid 1200's - early 1400's Sicilian. Or the statue is Greek or from the Balkans.
    But Grymloq confirmed on this page that he's Italian

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post

Since it has been almost a month and no one can figure out Grymloq's picture, I decided to revive this thread. Anyone who can figure this picture gets rep, anyone who figures out both gets double rep or if two people can figure out one of these pictures each then both get rep.

He must be British! Don't you see the Coat of Arms on his surcoat? Fleurs de Lys on blue backgraund and big cats on the red part?

He is North Italian

Indefinitely Banned

Did he rule Milan?

I won't say that, a positive answer would it make too easy He is from the 13th century.
    If you think he was a ruler of Milan, you could make a guess

Indefinitely Banned

Considering that I cannot recognize many historical persons (especially those which I haven't read about), I don't think so.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

But,....but....but....an Italian with that Heraldry?....but this is offensive, it is a.....a shame! Who was this man?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    But,....but....but....an Italian with that Heraldry?....but this is offensive, it is a.....a shame! Who was this man?
    We're talking about the guy Grymloq posted. (on the previous page, that statue dude)