Thread: Name that historical figure!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Nabonidus! I don't read Babylonian but I assumed that the Moon was a symbol for the god Shin. Actually I think I am mistaken on that count but it is Nabu who is being praised (inside joke).

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Nabonidus! I don't read Babylonian but I assumed that the Moon was a symbol for the god Shin. Actually I think I am mistaken on that count but it is Nabu who is being praised (inside joke).
    Yeah, that's right. Nabû-naʾid in Akkadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Patrician

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

General Barthelemy-Catherine Joubert? One of Napoleon's favoured commanders who joined the Royal French army in 1784 and the Revolutionary army in 1791. He rose through the ranks from private (or equivalent) to Brigadier General by 1795 and "became part of Napoleon's overall command" in 1796. He was "among the first to fall" at the battle of Novi in 1799.

Patrician

It is indeed Joubert! He and Moreau were unable to halt the mighty Suvorov.

Patrician

Pasquale Paoli, Nappy's arch nemesis on Corsica.

Yes, the Corsican patriot who was at first something of a role model for Napoleon, whose parents had supported Paoli's resistance and guerrilla movement against the French and fled with him after their defeat at the battle of Ponte Novu. Paoli sided first with the French revolution when they allowed his return from exile in Britain to Corsica, but later (after the execution of the King) sided with the Royalists and their British supporters. It was Napoleon who who twigged to the fact (after the disastrous campaign in Sardinia) that Paoli was a British agent playing both sides to support his Corsican ambitions. Napoleon and his family denounced Paoli as a traitor to the French National Convention in 1793, but by then Paoli had organised his support and it was the Bonapartes' who where sent running from Corsica. For a couple of years Corsica enjoyed a sort of independence and for a short while was a British Protectorate but by 1795 the situation had deteriorated to the point where Paoli accepted refuge and a pension in Britain and returned to exile. He died there in 1807. His life and career was something of a counterpoint to Napoleon's and his Corsican origins.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; January 28, 2017 at 12:33 AM. Reason: who's = whose

Patrician

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

By his attire I would guess he's a late 15th to 16th Century central european nobleman, other than that...
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Patrician

hint: he is German

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

John Frederick I of Saxony

Patrician

That it is. One of the leaders of the Schmalkaldic League.

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks, anyone can go next

Civitate

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDIT: Hopefully this image won't disappear as the last one.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω February 06, 2017 at 08:48 AM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

Patrician

I don't see anything.

I can only see an Asian Character's.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

The head wear is a jade emperor hat, so is he the Chinese Jade Emperor Yu Huang Da Di?

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    The head wear is a jade emperor hat, so is he the Chinese Jade Emperor Yu Huang Da Di?
    He does have a chinese name, alongside his native name, but he isn't a chinese ruler.

Patrician

So he is one of the rulers of the oasis cities in the west. My suspicions seem to be confirmed.