Thread: Name that historical figure!

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    ​Matsudaira Kiyoyasu
    Yes !!

The grandfather of tokugawa ieyasu

up to you
    Veritas Temporis Filia

double post
    Veritas Temporis Filia

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Helel's Avatar Biarchus

As a student in Florida we had to learn about the Seminoles. That is Chief Billy Bowlegs.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

You are correct, sir.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Helel's Avatar Biarchus

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The Czar Alexander, I wonder if he really died or if it was faked.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Helel's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    The Czar Alexander, I wonder if he really died or if it was faked.
    Spot on, and I have always wondered the same thing. You are up next!

Patrician

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Frans Joseph I of austria, a conservative leader who wanted to keep full control of his empire
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; July 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Patrician

Nope

ahaha well can you give tips?
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Patrician

His contemporary of the same age was far more powerful than he was, in fact this contemporary made himself a "King of Kings" and summoned our person here to Imperial meetings. Our figure here actually encouraged his contemporary to do a fatal mistake which contributed to the contemporary figure's ultimate downfall.

Francis II ,emperor of Holy roman empire (reign 1792-1835)?

we had to learn about him at school
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

His contemporary of the same age was far more powerful than he was, in fact this contemporary made himself a "King of Kings" and summoned our person here to Imperial meetings. Our figure here actually encouraged his contemporary to do a fatal mistake which contributed to the contemporary figure's ultimate downfall.
    Napoleon! Oh wait, that's not the one we have to guess... But aye, it is Franz II. I think.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Patrician

Yes it is Francis II of the Holy Roman Empire (or Francis I of the Austrian Empire), Francis actually encouraged Napoleon to invade Russia but believed that even by the Sixth Coalition Napoleon would have won. During the Battle of Dresden Francis, Alexander and Frederick William besieged General Saint Cyr, but when Napoleon came to reinforce him with only 30,000 men Czar Alexander wanted to retreat immediately, Francis was completely unsure and Frederick William was astonished that such a large army would retreat from just one Napoleon. This really gives you a look at Francis indecisiveness though (aside from being a hilarious event though).

Can someone rep Antipater for me?

Laetus

Who Is the GREAT american patriot who shot and killed (in a honorable duel) his main political rival, the ******* on the 10 dollar bill.
    He was also a 1 time vice-president, and early politician of new york.
    Him being my Kinsmen has no bearing on my love of him...

I repped him

Indeed that's a good example for his hesitation. I wonder if Schwarzenberg's similar trait made Franz appoint him as the supreme commander of the Allied forces (of the Austrian army+ some allies, I mean, in difference to the Silesian and the Swedish army) in 1813, because he was similarly indecisive.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Patrician

Not entirely sure why Schwarzenberg was chosen, was it Napoleon's suggestion that Schwarzenberg command the Austrian army inside of Russia?

Not entirely sure why Schwarzenberg was chosen, was it Napoleon's suggestion that Schwarzenberg command the Austrian army inside of Russia?
    Not as far as I can remember, I think it was Franz's own decision. But apparently Metternich intervened for him to make him supreme commander of the allied forces before the Leipzig campaign. In general, apart from a figure like Arch Duke Karl of Österreich-Teschen, Austria did not produce as many famous commanders as (e.g.) Prussia or France in the period 1714- 1815.