Thread: Name that historical figure!

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Yeah, it keeps you stuck

Nope. Not Angola

Quote Originally Posted by Ipposthenis View Post
    It's Selim II..Son of Suleiman the Magnificient and Hurrem (said already I am into that bloody TV show )

So, if I am right, let this be the next one.

President of Rwanda: Juvénal Habyarimana:

Now this is purposely a tricky one!

Hint: He saved your favorite boy's life from an attacking elephant and had a city named in his honor
    Last edited by Dick Cheney.; November 26, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

The dog's a Šarplaninac, but I don't think it's Alexander is it?

Dog that saved a man from an elephant, and a lion, and had a city named after him was Peritas, Alexander's pet. Not sure is this relief just an illustration or a part of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipposthenis View Post
    Dog that saved a man from an elephant, and a lion, and had a city named after him was Peritas, Alexander's pet. Not sure is this relief just an illustration or a part of the question.
    No, you got it right...

Ok.This is more recent figure, but might not be easy to remember for those not into the subject

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Is he from some sort of controversy, I know I've seen this guy before but can't remember his name.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Sicknero's Avatar Senator

Certainly a controversy. He's Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, accused of masterminding the 9/11 attack. He also played a role in the first WTC bombing in 1993.
    "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

Sorry Ipposthenis, I'll post a pic seeing as I know I'm correct on yours and the thread seems to be sinking

"A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

My bad. Forgot to say you are right.

Patrician

Is this guy French or British?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

He's British, and famous for something that he no doubt didn't want to be.

Patrician

Hmmm did he screw up militarily, if so then I'm pretty sure I know who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    Hmmm did he screw up militarily, if so then I'm pretty sure I know who he is.
    Hmmm indeed

Well, a military failure is certainly what he's most remembered for, but whether he was entirely to blame for it is still debated even now.

Patrician

Is this William Augustus Duke of Cumberland? It is either this guy or one of the other generals, as I can't find this specific picture.

Did Cumberland screw up? I don't know much about him except for Culloden etc. Not him anyway, this guy is Navy.

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

He is John Byng. Am I right (not sure with the Christmas hat )?

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

Admiral John Byng (baptised 29 October 1704 – 14 March 1757) was a British Royal Navy officer. Byng is best known for the loss of Minorca in 1756 at the beginning of the Seven Years' War. In practice, his ships badly needed repair and he was relieved of his command before he could see to his ships or secure the extra forces he required. He was court-martialled and found guilty of failing to "do his utmost" to prevent Minorca falling to the French following the Battle of Minorca. He was sentenced to death and shot by firing squad on 14 March 1757.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grymloq View Post
    He is John Byng. Am I right (not sure with the Christmas hat )?
    Bloody hell I was late Sorry Grymloq, I didn't realize that you had answered before me. I'll give you a hint as to who this man is so you can easily identify him and thus become the next in line:
    He was one of the most famous commanders of the Seven Years' war.
    Last edited by Diodredai; December 06, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

Is correct. You weren't fooled by the Santa hat then ...

Byng was the first and last admiral to be executed by the Royal Navy, the charge against him being failure to "do his utmost" in an action against the French over the island of Minorca.

In 1756 just before the Seven Years War, the British realised too late that the French were planning to invade Minorca in the Mediterranean, and despatched a small fleet under Admiral Byng to defend the island.

Despite protesting to his superiors that the expedition was under-funded and under-manned, and with his ships in a poor state of repair, he was ordered to go anyway with the resources that he had. The governor of Gibraltar also refused Byng's request for more soldiers.

When Byng eventually reached Minorca (his sailing orders also arriving several days late), the French had already taken the island, save for one small British garrison still holding out. He made an attempt to land reinforcements but it was a half-hearted effort (his letters of the time show that he set out with an expectation of failure) and he was repulsed in an inconclusive sea fight.

After the battle Byng remained near the island for several days but was unable to make contact with the beseiged garrison. Following a council with his senior officers he decided to return to Gibraltar for much-needed repairs and replenishment. While in Gibraltar however, he was relieved of his command and taken back to England where he was formally arrested and charged.

There was much public outcry at the loss of Minorca, and Byng's case wasn't helped by the fact that the French account of the battle arrived in England before Byng's did. He was acquitted of personal cowardice but found guilty of the (relatively new) charge of failing to do his utmost. The King refused clemency and Byng was executed by firing squad on the quarterdeck of HMS Monarch on March 14th 1757.

Even at the time it was widely thought that Byng was just a scapegoat for the Admiralty's own failures over Minorca. His descendants and supporters are still to this day arguing for a posthumous pardon, which has so far been refused.

An interesting account of the court martial here -

http://home.wxs.nl/~pdavis/Byng.htm

+Rep, your turn!

Edit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diodredai View Post
    Bloody hell I was late Sorry Grymloq, I didn't realize that you had answered before me.
    You posted while I was busy typing my waffle as well Never mind, play on. I'll Rep both of you.
    Last edited by Sicknero; December 06, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

By chance I was perusing through a book on the various engagements of the seven years war (from where I got my photo-candidate) and I came across Admiral Byng. You actually made it harder by flipping the image horizontally

The lack of medals, clear sight of the uniform itself [which would only allow only the guess that the portray was made sometime from the 16th century onward] and the santa hat would have made this one quite challenging - yet it seems the world is a small place.

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums