Page 262 of 262 FirstFirst ... 162 212 237 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262
Results 5,221 to 5,226 of 5226

Thread: Name that historical figure!

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Thanks. Next one includes a potentially very helpful hint:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Davout?

Yes, that's Marshal Davout, one of Napoleon's most capable generals, who suffered from a terrible eyesight. It's said that, when Davout crushed the Prussians in Auerstadt against all odds, Napoleon advised him to wear his glasses, because he couldn't believe his Marshal's report. Can't give you rep, though, so could anyone rep the winner for me?

Yes, this anecdote is true, but I prefer another with a brave general in the lead role

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar General Without Peer
    Content Director Citizen

I wouldn't say so much that Davout crushed the Prussians but rather resisted them fiercely.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I would rather say that the 3rd corps thanks to his steadfast and determined stance forced the Prussian army to retreat. And from 3 o'clock in the afternoon he was on the offensive in the direction of Eckartsberg.