Thread: Living on the Edge... of the Hellenistic World: A Baktrian AAR

Default Living on the Edge... of the Hellenistic World: A Baktrian AAR

Welcome one and all to my first XGM AAR, a M/M difficulty game with land bridges, two HP, and faster movement on, using Alex.exe. I believe regular AI bonuses apply but I don't remember. Obviously, I will be controlling the nation of Baktria in an attempt to unite the eastern edges of the map, and beyond, into a glorious, wealthy empire of philosophers, poets, merchants, and warriors. I plan on providing screen captures of the most pivotal moments in the history of the game, along with narrations told from various points of view, though usually revolving around those of the faction leader, the faction heir, and other family members with high influence levels. I will try to provide updates in 20 turn chunks, just to make things more manageable for myself, as I find it much easier to compile 20 turns worth of screen captures and then connecting all those moments together in a coherent story. At any rate, I've already completed the first 20 turns, so let the report begin!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Chapter I: Growing Pains
    An excerpt Diodotes of Baktria's journal, 280BC:
    When my grandchildren ask me about the story of our kingdom, I cannot help but remember that our story... truly, the story of nearly all the world, began with one man who conquered the world, if only for a moment. We had been a part of his empire, but I had been strong enough to carve out a piece for myself, and to hold it against our ever aggressive neighbours. After the death of Alexander, his story became mine. But now, as I enter my 50th year of life, I realize that the story of Baktria shant belong to me for much longer. I do, however, recognize that I must do what I can with the time I have left, to forge our small nation into the beginnings of a mighty empire, so that my sons and their sons might one day go on to be hailed as conquerors of the known world.

Unfortunately, the summer of this year, does not find us on particularly firm financial footing. After a long discussion of the topic with my advisors, including my son, Euthydemus, I have decided to embark upon a campaign of both conquest and construction. Using what forces we can muster, Euthydemus and I plan to march north after hearing rumors of a large force in India. Despite the riches a conquest of Taxila would undoubtedly provide, I simply do not have enough confidence in our military might to attack a force of equal or superior numbers, and besides that, we simply cannot afford any long, protracted sieges. Instead, we will focus on taking cities which my spies have assured me are lightly defended, and without walls. I have already received word from Euthydemus that he has gathered the bulk of our forces and left Kophen, and will ride out to join him by the winter, after I have arranged for construction to begin on farms and markets across our lands. May the Gods favor us and preserve us on our way to victory!

An excerpt from Euthydemus of Baktria's journal, Summer, 274:

In the past few years, we have known nothing but victory, though none has been against a truly worthy foe. Instead, more often than not we have merely been slaughtering men, men who only wish to defend their homes and what is rightfully theirs. My father and I have both been sobered by this realization, and as such it has been our policy to occupy those conquered lands as peaceably as we are able, and our kindness to the new denizens of the realm seems to have paid off. Our economy has strengthened considerably, and our coffers are slowly beginning to fill themselves with money made from Gushan, Campus Amrygicum, and Kashgar. And with every passing year, I fear that we shall need every single coin we can get our hands on. Things have been too quiet on our western frontier, and we can only assume that the Seleucids are up to something. It may not be tomorrow or the next day, but I am certain they will come. The oracles all seem to agree, there are ill portends for the nation of Baktria.

Even so, there are grounds for celebration, as my son, Perseas, has turned 16 today!

While I am a bit concerned with his proclivity to... stretch the truth, he has many redeeming qualities though he still has much to learn. I am proud to call him my son, and am pleased that Baktria has another heir to carry her banner to the ends of the earth! With any luck, we'll find a good wife for him, and the royal family can continue to grow.

An excerpt from Diodotes of Baktria's journal, Winter, 274 BC
    An unusual chill was brought upon us this winter. Not one of frost, but of steel. Without any prior warning, the Seleucid Empire has laid siege to the city of Bactra, and I weep that I am not able to defend our capital myself. Instead, I have decided to give my grandson, young Perseas, his first true test on the battlefield. While I am loathe to throw him to the wolves on his first campaign, I have confidence in the boy... and he is the only one close enough to reinforce the defenders of Bactra in any case. I have written him to leave for Bactra post haste, and to gather any mercenaries he can along the way. I pray that the Gods will protect him, and hope that, victory or defeat, he returns alive.

A letter from Perseas of Baktria to Diodotes of Baktria, Winter, 274 BC
    Grandfather,

I am pleased to inform you that I have succeeded in breaking the siege of Bactra and pushing back the forces of the Seleucid Empire! The cowards fled from the battlefield after we sallied forth from within the walls. Confidence is high amongst the troops, and I have decided to hunt down any reinforcements which may linger within our borders, taking only my mercenary horsemen and leaving the garrison behind. I swear that I will win a great victory to honor both you and all of Baktria!

A letter from Diodotes of Baktria to Perseas of Baktria, Winter, 274 BC
    Perseas,

I implore you, do not press the attack! You have succeeded in your duty, so there is no need for any rash or hasty action. Remember that you are one of the few members of the Baktrian Royal Family and that your life is worth much more than any of your men. Think of your poor mother! It is good to be ambitious, grandson, but I think you fail to realize that our position is closer to desperate than you might think. We need the lives of every soldier at our behest to stave off the beast that is the Seleucid Empire. I only pray that this letter reaches you before you get yourself killed.

A letter from Perseas of Baktria to Diodotes of Baktria, Winter, 274 BC
    Grandfather,

I humbly wish to beg your forgiveness, my king, as I did not receive your letter until after I had left Bactra, but I would also like to give you the good news! Our attack was more successful than I could have hoped, and I managed to all but destroy the remaining Seleucids within out border! I wouldn't expect another attack for some time, but I will remain in Bactra and continue defending our capital, to the death if need be. I will try to be more prudent in the future, and hope that you may find merit in my victory, despite foolish decisions on my part.

An excerpt from Perseas of Baktria's journal, Summer, 273 BC
    Once again, I find myself with an enemy at the gates. This time, he is greater in number.

But I fear I have no choice. I have sent messengers out of the gates at night in all directions. Those going to the west, the ones most likely to be intercepted by the enemy, were told to exaggerate our numbers and to emphasize a massive food stockpile on hand. The others were to head east before finally making their way toward the King, letting him know of my true intentions: Sally forth and defeat the enemy with the whole of our forces. I recognize what is at stake here, but if I cannot win at full strength, I will not be able to win after a long siege.
    If I lose, a good portion of our total military strength will evaporate. But a win will provide a morale boost to a citizenry who is suffering its second siege in as many years, and also assert the sovereignty of Baktria to those Seleucid dogs. Yes, I must admit, I am also considering the prospect of personal glory... but I feel the future of Baktria depends on this battle. I cannot lose. I will not lose. The Gods shall preserve us in this gamble, for they favor the bold. I think even Grandfather would attack in this situation. A protracted siege is out of the question.

A letter from Diodotes of Baktria to Perseas of Baktria, Summer, 273 BC
    Perseas,
    I believe you have made the most sound decision possible. It pains me to admit that it would be near impossible at this time to usefully reinforce you at this time. I can offer no reply other than to wish you luck in your enterprise, and shall wait as patiently as I am able for news of your victory whilst praying for it.

A letter from Perseas of Baktria to Diodotes of Baktria, Summer, 273 BC
    Grandfather,
    The Gods have surely smiled upon us, as once again I have triumphantly defended our capital against the odds! If the Seleucids can think of nothing better to do with their vast fortunes than to send armies for us to destroy, then let then come! They shall have to pay in blood for every inch of Bactrian soil they covet. I must admit, however, I am exhausted from battle. With any luck, they'll wait a year or so before trying again. I could do with the rest. Still, I think it may be wise to consider that if we want to end this war, we may have to start being more aggressive. We may have to think about attacking Seleucid cities. However, I appreciate the practical difficulties, currently, of raising an army... and with these constant sieges, we are hardly in any position to improve the facilities in the capital for a standing army...

A letter from Diodotes of Baktria to Perseas of Baktria, Summer, 273 BC
    Perseas,
    It seems you are learning the ways of war quickly, grandson. But do not allow a few victories, grand as they may have been, to go to your head. While there may be some merit in your words, you have also pointed out a flaw in your own strategy. Our ability to raise an effective army is questionable at best, but I assure you I will try to correct this as soon as possible. If you continue to defend our capital as bravely as you have so far, you will soon have your army, and perhaps we will teach the Seleucids a lesson once and for all.

An excerpt from Perseas of Baktria's journal, Summer, 271 BC
    After a brief respite, it would seem the enemy has returned to our gates once more. And again I have chosen to ride forth and drive the enemy away as I have before. Though it seems to have become routine, I cannot be so cavalier about war... it may be my undoing. At the same time, I remember that a good general cannot doubt himself. I must be absolute in my decisions. But without prospect of reinforcement, I have no other choice. To the walls!

Later...
    How can I bear to lift a pen after clutching my lance for so long? We have won the day, and our army remains intact, though with severely thinned ranks. The only consolation is that we nearly destroyed our foe... so much blood. So much death, on both sides. This is a victory I should be proud of, but I am not proud... I am only tired. It was less a battle and more a brawl. Victory was snapped from the jaws of defeat on the weight of a few timely cavalry charges... but that, I suppose, is how the dice of war roll. I have sent a messenger to Grandfather, but in all honesty, the reply is irrelevant. I did only what I had to do... I was simply lucky that the men held together long enough.

An excerpt from Diodotes of Baktria's journal, Summer, 270 BC
    It has been ten years since I embarked on a project of expansion, and we have been largely successful, checked only by continued Seleucid aggression... but I suppose we shall be able to do something about that soon. Perseas doesn't seem to be quite of thirsty for battle after his most recent victory, but an aggressive action against the Empire must be conducted soon. However, with such limited trade prospects, we can hardly afford an army even if we could raise one. We must make more money by any means necessary, then the Seleucid threat can be dealt with. Spies will be sent into the Empire's territory in search of a nice, soft target. And then, we will strike. Perhaps we are not so powerful now, but we have made improvements in the past ten years, and as long as we can hold out against the Empire... well, someday we may march to Babylon.

Current Overall Ranking:

Current Military Ranking:

Current Financial Ranking:

Hope you enjoy reading it. Maybe I'll post updates. Or maybe I won't. You decide.
    Last edited by Verek; August 02, 2010 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Living on the Edge... of the Hellenistic World: A Baktrian AAR

I think It was very good but you need to put more battle screenshots and descriptions of the battle

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

I liked the way of writing... I'll be following this!

An AAR! Will be following this for sure, it was good. More screenshots of the battles would be nice though, yes.

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

Bactria is a great pain in the butt for me when playing as Seleucid, I dont know how the heck they manage to get their phalanx golden experience and even golden weapon & armor.

Can't wait for the Baktrian AAR.

and yes more screenshots should be nice.

Will be reading this with or without the screenshots

I'm immortal! Unfortunately it wears off after 80 years..