Thread: Unofficial Praise Thread

Default Unofficial Praise Thread

It doesn't look like many people are active on this forum, but I had to start an appreciation thread because this mod has breathed new life into Medieval II.

Man, this game is awesome tough. I love the fact that alliances and ceasefires actually mean something in this game and things can be *relatively* peaceful. I wish I would have done an AAR on this Norway campaign. Things have been pretty epic.

I'm surrounded on all sides by powerful empires. I have my base in Scandinavia and southern England. I also have Iceland and Greenland. Powerful empires include the Danes south of Scandinavia, England in France and Ireland in Ireland and northern England. I tried taking massive armies southeast to Byzantine and held Constantinople for a brief time, but the citizens rebelled, kicked me out, and I was subesquently slaughtered by the Byzantines.

Took a ship to the Aztecs and layed seige with a massive army, but got my ass handed to me. I also held Florida for about two turns (I negotiated a peace treaty with France in exchange for their city in Florida... yes, you can actually get meaningful treaties on this game!). However, the Aztecs sent a huge army to take out my four units in Florida.

So I decided to quit looking so far, and started producing large armies in preparation to attack Ireland. However, Ireland soon attacked me after I started my troop build up! I took two cities, but lost one of them again, and the Irish have been kicking the crap out of me. And they know it! They refuse a ceasefire. I'm still hanging on. The only thing that's saving me is I'm importing heavy troops from Oslo via Dragon Boats. But I don't think I'll be able to hang out for a whole lot longer, unless my assassins can decapitate the faction (they've already taken out one faction leader and one general with a 5 percent chance of success on each one!).

Default Re: Unofficial Praise Thread

Looks like you're having fun with the game.

My favorite part of this mod is that it's not an "anal" mod, meaning it's not so overworked as to take the fun out of the game. That's another reason why I love Eras Total Conquest.

My name is Gaul and I approve this "unofficial" praise thread.
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

I agree. It's a great mod. I love how Europe is more fractured with the greater number of factions.

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

ASyou can tell from my signature, I have been a fan of this mod for a long log time. The modder should get $100,000 for this mod based on the work h4 put in and how great - I can only hope his book becoming a big seller and he goes on to make million's - and I would;nt begrudge him a dime of it!

What goes around comes around Eothese, so all power to you for this absolutely fantastic mod that was brilliant and the start and is now three times more brilliant with the latest version!
    Search THEN ask on these forums!!!

.... and check out the Expanded America's mod at :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185565

Quote Originally Posted by JPHILP! View Post
    I agree. It's a great mod. I love how Europe is more fractured with the greater number of factions.
    It does make for a lot more conflict early on, which I like.

I think Eo might have answered this before, but I wonder if he did the AI rework or if that was ported over from another mod, because the AI is greatly improved both on the battles and on the campaign map. For the first time, I have actually lost more battles than won during the campaign! And it's been due to me making errors or the computer making smart choices, or more often a combination of both.

The last battle I had, for instance, I was outnumbered 3:4 by Ireland. I had sent several full stacks and a few smaller stacks against what I thought was their last castle (sneaky Irish bastards had expanded into France however while I wasn't looking!). They circled around most of big stacks and attacked a smaller one. So I was outnumbered.

I set up my line in basic formation with melee protecting archers and crossbow. I decided to set my cavalry off to one side, however, along with some heavy artillery. Since I have problems firing artillery in the midst of melee, I figured this would provide them clear sight and my quick cavalry could maneuver and protect them.

I was positioned at the bottom of a hill (not ideal, but my only option). The Irish came down and my archers began making short work of them. I sent my cavalry to harry their own archers. Thought I was doing fine, but the Irish had sent their own heavy cavalry toward my now lightly protected artillery while the bulk of my men were already engaged. They cut the cannons down to pieces before they could get any good shots off, and then attacked my flank, whipping my butt!

I find myself actually thinking more about formations and having to pay more attention to battles than with the vanilla.
    Last edited by Lethe; November 01, 2010 at 09:18 PM.