Thread: Unit experience

Default Unit experience

Can anyone explain to me how unit experience works? I ask this because I'm rather confused about my Crossbow Militia scoring 200+ kills gaining zero experience while my cavalry (especially the Bodyguard) capture 50 people and gain two levels of experience. I'm guessing this has something to do with the size of the units? Is there any thing that can be done to get experience to reflect battlefield effectiveness?

Default Re: Unit experience

Experience = +attack, +morale, +accuracy for missile units

The bodyguard "killed" a lot more enemies compared to the size of the unit (almost twice as many killed as men in the unit), whereas the crossbows killed fewer compared to the size of the unit. It varies, as sometimes one of your units will kill a ton of enemies and gain nothing, while other times it will kill only a few enemies and gain a level. Maybe the game keeps track of enemies killed by a unit in all the battles it's in, not for each individual battle.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    The bodyguard "killed" a lot more enemies compared to the size of the unit (almost twice as many killed as men in the unit), whereas the crossbows killed fewer compared to the size of the unit. It varies, as sometimes one of your units will kill a ton of enemies and gain nothing, while other times it will kill only a few enemies and gain a level. Maybe the game keeps track of enemies killed by a unit in all the battles it's in, not for each individual battle.
    There is definitely a kill ratio involved and either game keeps track of kills over time for a unit(seems unlikely) or there is also a rather large random element slightly biased toward veterans.

I find getting infantry XP is the most difficult but once they get 3 the rest come much faster, partially due to the 3 xp bonus makes them more effective = better kill ratio but that can't entirely explain it.

Also the random -1 xp that occur after some battles even when the unit kill more than it lose. Frequently I have something like this,

Light Men at Arms- Losses sustained: 23 Kills: 46 Captures: 8 Healed: 2 XP: -1

Same battle,

Pavise Spearmen- Losses sustained: 123 Kills: 38 Captures: 0 Healed: 42 XP: +1

So perhaps the random factor is influenced by the odds before battle and the quality of unit? IE- militia vs castle professionals. In battles with odds much favorable to my side it seems few units get +XP even with amazing kill ratio. In battle with poor odds even with bad kill ratio the units frequently get +XP.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    That I did not know. Thanks PB.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Is it proven that missile units get + accuracy with higher XP? Just wondering because in many tests I did with crossbows recently I played around with the XP as well and the results did not vary much.

Also just thinking over game experiences where brand new missile unit gets = or higher kills than 9XP identical otherwise unit seems to happen often.

Or if there is a bonus it seems very small. Or perhaps disproportionate at the high and low ends of the accuracy extreme. IE- units that are highly accurate already(crossbow) get small relative bump from XP and units that are very low accuracy(levy archers) the bump is enough to move them into average accuracy while for most missile units the bump still leaves them in medium accuracy and not much different kill ratio results.

Tears of Destiny's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Is it proven that missile units get + accuracy with higher XP? Just wondering because in many tests I did with crossbows recently I played around with the XP as well and the results did not vary much.

Also just thinking over game experiences where brand new missile unit gets = or higher kills than 9XP identical otherwise unit seems to happen often.

Or if there is a bonus it seems very small. Or perhaps disproportionate at the high and low ends of the accuracy extreme. IE- units that are highly accurate already(crossbow) get small relative bump from XP and units that are very low accuracy(levy archers) the bump is enough to move them into average accuracy while for most missile units the bump still leaves them in medium accuracy and not much different kill ratio results.
    Very proven, coding even supports this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tears of Destiny View Post
    Very proven, coding even supports this.
    How much of a difference then? I'm assuming so little most of the time it doesn't matter. Only time it seems to be important is for very inaccurate base of some units like Levy Archers.

the attack value doesn't add into the missile attack but in melee, so is it melee or missile?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chrono672 View Post
    the attack value doesn't add into the missile attack but in melee, so is it melee or missile?
    Melee damage increases, missile accuracy increases.

Remember that the effects of experience and the rate it's gained are hardcoded and can't be changed.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post

Remember that the effects of experience and the rate it's gained are hardcoded and can't be changed.
    Who's up to make a clone engine of the game non hardcoded?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post

What is the accuracy increase for XP does anyone know? Something like +1% per XP so max is +9%? It seems very little whatever the amount it.

Unknown is the answer eh? lol Well I'll go what it seems to be in my experience and not worry about it for most units.