Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best cavalry and infantry

Default Re: Best cavalry and infantry

I haven't done any testing, but as for the best infantry I would say siphonotores - they can obliterate an entire unit in 2-3 salvos.

Shouldn't all unit testing be done on Huge unit size? I've found in 1on1 battles, units on foot tend to spread out to form a semi-circle. Also, if you do not face the exact opposite direction and have the exact length of units then the other unit will flank you. I've tried a test where -------------------------- were my pikemen, and
    .................................................................................... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ were their knights. Notice the arrow on the left side is not directly facing a -, this means that they are flanking them. When they shuffled out, I received much different results than if.................. --------------------------
    ............................................................................. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ happened. The results were that my pikemen took 56 less casualty when they were not flanking me by the 2-3 persons on their left flank.
    Last edited by NewUser; August 08, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
    Shouldn't all unit testing be done on Huge unit size? I've found in 1on1 battles, units on foot tend to spread out to form a semi-circle. Also, if you do not face the exact opposite direction and have the exact length of units then the other unit will flank you. I've tried a test where -------------------------- were my pikemen, and
    .................................................................................... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ were their knights. Notice the arrow on the left side is not directly facing a -, this means that they are flanking them. When they shuffled out, I received much different results than if.................. --------------------------
    ............................................................................. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ happened. The results were that my pikemen took 56 less casualty when they were not flanking me by the 2-3 persons on their left flank.
    I don't think it has as much to do with flanking as simply weight of numbers. 93 vs 151 where the front lines are even, if the 93 has better units almost guaranteed to win even though 151 is almost 2x #s though it will be close battle usually unless MUCH better stats. However- if the 151 can ( around line of the 93 they have 1.5 units attacking per man defending or something like that. It changes the results alot as for every man in the 93 unit attacking he faces 1.5 men instead of only 1.

Just make the line of pikeman longer, swiss pikeman cant be defeated, just make sure they are not flanked, they can even beat 1000 foot knights when defending bridge. For other infantry, being flanked has less impact than pikes, but still try not to let them be flanked.

P.S: My new test result: Best infantry in full upgrades is the royal guards.
    Last edited by chrono672; August 08, 2010 at 10:30 PM.

A quick note, sort of a little off the main topic.

"Best infantry" is probably a bit of a misconception, because everything is situational. An example - a 150 toxotai (basic byzantine archers) killed 252 golden-eagled-JHI today on VH. Of course it was during a siege and of course the archers were on the wall. But still, the AI did all it could do - rammed the gate and got on the wall asapOf course it would have been different if they had ladders, if they had archers, etc etc. Still, a 150 did 252

Libertus

I've tried Custom Battle lots and found Constables of Jerusalem to win against any other cavalry 1v1. They even beat Lancers and Teutonic Knights. Of course their size of 120 men counts for much of this.

As for Infantry, I haven't tried all of them but Janissary Heavy Infantry have AP and I've seen them own everything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123