Thread: Japanese Coastal Pirates (wakou)

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Default Japanese Coastal Pirates (wakou)

I was wondering if this could be added as a potential unit to hire as mercenaries, maybe in costal areas:

Wakou

Here is a quick pic from wikipedia of thier activities. Perhaps these Japanese areas could be used as places for Wakou recruitment

A few illustrations:

and some text:
    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; November 17, 2005 at 08:55 PM.
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I aldready did several Wako units, along with thier ships, I got down where they'll be hired and all that. The pic was helpful though, It's just my books are much more in depth on them.

Major König's Avatar Civitate

How many of them will roam he seas? And will they effectively raid the seas? Perhap small armies should also be loaded onto them to give them landing ability to raid the coasts. Is this possible?

I think it would be good idea.To introduce wakos as rebels in the Kyushu and Shikoku islands,but time will tell if this will be implemented in the game. :original:

Besides the wako, would the "Navies" of the Setonai ocean be implemented in the game?

We will have a naval system, to what extend, I don't know. For the Wako mercs, I'm wondering if we should give them short ranged chinese grenades or a single volley of explosive navals arrows.

actually 80% of woko are the Chinese pirates-_-

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseManchurian
    And that has what to do with what we are discussing here? So the mod will represent the other 20%
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseManchurian
    80%? Where'd you get that figure? I know that I've read that there were "as many, if not more, Chinese AND Koreans" in the wako, but I don't think I've ever seen a percentage laid down as there is no way of knowing for sure... Pirates don't exactly keep rosters.
    "While [Emperor Go-Daigo] hears that Masashige alone still lives, let him believe that he will prevail at last!"

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH
    80%? Where'd you get that figure? I know that I've read that there were "as many, if not more, Chinese AND Koreans" in the wako, but I don't think I've ever seen a percentage laid down as there is no way of knowing for sure... Pirates don't exactly keep rosters.
    What rosters?

Quote Originally Posted by fallingstar
    What rosters?
    Staff rosters/registers, whatever you want to call them.
    "While [Emperor Go-Daigo] hears that Masashige alone still lives, let him believe that he will prevail at last!"

The wako that are being handled in this era are mostly Japanese. Later, when borders became more strict, the Chinese became most of the wako, engaging in smuggling. Fransisco Xavier came to Japan on a smuggler ship I believe.