Thread: End of turn crash

Default End of turn crash

Hi lads, I've serious problem with my Babylon campaign. I've played and when I ended the turn, the game crashed. I've loaded it from my own save and it was same. I've tried autosave, but it was all same, the game crashed. It's still same, game will crash when the Parsa is on turn. Who knows, please? I'm so desperate, my campaign is good way on.

By the way, I have patch 2.22.

Is there any fix, please?

Default Re: End of turn crash

First of all I have no experience with technical problems.
    But sometimes crashes can be avoided by giving different commands to your armies or agents.
    Are you maybe besieging a persian town or have you sent a spy into one of their towns?
    Such things have happened to me too, and by lifting the siege or sent the spy to another location the problem disappeard.

Jedifox's Avatar Civis

I'm a couple years too late on this thread but the same thing is happening to me
    ah well i am a great and sublime fool. but then i am gods fool, and all his work must be contemplated with respect-mark twain

ruthless's Avatar Semisalis

Hi, the same thing is happening to me, only I'm playing as Saba. It's very aggravating. Any quick fixes?

Yeah, well, same problem here. I will just take a ticket and wait in the line.

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

We will not be looking at those things of the older version, were to busy working in ROP 3

I've got something "new", that could help with players, more than developpers (occupied on ROP 3, now)

I've had several end of turn ctd in my saves, stopping them from evolving further. I had to stop a great Babylonian campain when I conquered Opone (Azania), and I had to stop a great persian campain when I conquered a settlement in india (I have to reload the game to know the name, will update), both because of this end of turn ctd. Every time, it was when I lost the settlements because of lack of soldiers/order.

Then I made a test : I launched a new game (persia) and I went to Opone, conquered it. Believe it or not, but when I lost the settlement... I had the ctd too. So I tested it again, and again, ctd.

- I reloaded the save,
    - I cheated, adding money using "add_money 40000" several times
    - I cheated, using the "add_population Opone 4000" 6 times, to get 24000 people
    - I cheated, using the "process_cq Opone", making a full huge city in one turn
    - No ctd.

So I don't know, maybe other cities does that, I will test indian cities now, but if it is the case, you can pass the ctd by cheating and making the city more stable. It is not great, but it is better than stopping completely the campain.

I will try a list of the cities where it occures, but for now all I have is Opone and maybe an indian city, or several.

I keep you informed.

Thank you Floren, your input is very useful to us as well. Whatever information you gather on these crashes, please let us know. There must be some connection between the culprits (Size-related discrepancies, I suspect). Do you know of the '-show_err' command?

Hello Tekowiāt, yeap, I know the command, heard of it but my memory is fading (it was back when MIITW was released!) so I would be glad if you could refresh my memory with a succint how to on this
    I think I saw in an other thread (older) that it could have been "anciliaries" and that show_err was useless, but I could give it a try.

I will test now (after replying you in the other thread ) on my persian campain with crash in India.

All right, I just tested my indian cities (persian faction), it is not finished, but here is my preliminary repport :

On three settlement, only one was about to revolt : Ajagomeru. (can't remember the name of the region)

When I stabilized the city using the cheating codes, no end turn ctd.

I saw an other thing :

I made two tests :

1 : Upgrading all three cities to huge city and pacifying them, ending turn, observing. No crash, so I destroyed those cities one by one and provoqued revolt. NONE of them occured a ctd. They where huge cities andwhen they revolted, they went slave, not india.
    2 : Upgrading all cities and pacified but one. Tested three times, ctd only when Ajagomeru revolted.

Conclusion :

It seems that there is no ctd when :

- The revolt doesn't give back the city to the owner faction or
    - The revolt occures when the city is huge.

I suppose it is the first proposition but cannot be certain.

Some other things :

- The ctd occures regardless the faction losing the settlement (I still have to test if India lose the settlements owned by India, I but I suppose there will be no ctd because the city will went slave) I lost Opone with Babylone : ctd. I lost opone with Persia : ctd.

- With my three indian cities, only Ajagomeru triggered a ctd. I lost the other cities to India (not to slave, but to India) and no ctd, so it seems related to some settlement.

Summarization :

- Some cities triggers ctd when they revolt
    - It occures only when the revolt give the city to "owner" faction
    - It occures regardless the faction losing the city
    - The cities affected for now are Opone and Ajagomeru
    - I still have to test if I got CTD when I loose Ajagomeru some turn later to India.
    - I still have to test if I give the city to an other faction, will there be CTD at the faction's turn.

FOR NON DEV's :

If you have an end turn ctd, check if you have a city about to revolt, if yes, either cheat to pacify it, or give it back to the owner faction (warning, the "owner" is a hidden value in the descr_strat file, not the last ingame owner, so make tests)

EDIT :

I gave the city Ajagomeru to an other faction, it lost it several turns later, to india, and no ctd. I will check if it is because it didn't occures in the same time or if it is because it is a non-player faction. (edit again I can't say, because I don't have any mean to pacify the city without upgrading it to high level cities : 400 pop and all destroyable buildings don't do the trick. If you need any test, let me know but I will stop testing now of my own)

In the mean time, it could be great to check in the files if Opone and Ajagomeru have something in common. I don't know the structure of the files or anything but maybe something is obvious that I can't see.
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; March 06, 2014 at 08:14 AM.

Nice work, very fast. I think you already found the problem, It does most certainly have to do with the owner in the code, but if you still want to investigate, this is how to use the command line switch: You right click on your RoP shorcut and go to properties, and you'll see a 'Target' bar that should have the mod's location typed in, maybe a few other things after it. one space away from all that you put '-show_err', without quotes. All but the most obscure of errors, CTD provoking or not, will appear in a popup after doing this. Thanks in advance for anything you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekowiāt View Post
    Nice work, very fast. I think you already found the problem, It does most certainly have to do with the owner in the code, but if you still want to investigate, this is how to use the command line switch: You right click on your RoP shorcut and go to properties, and you'll see a 'Target' bar that should have the mod's location typed in, maybe a few other things after it. one space away from all that you put '-show_err', without quotes. All but the most obscure of errors, CTD provoking or not, will appear in a popup after doing this. Thanks in advance for anything you find.

All right I will try that

About the "owner", I checked for Opone, in the desc_strat, and it seams all right, no typo or anything.

What I could try is changing the settlement owner to an other faction and try again.

Only I have yo start a new game to see the effect.

Sorry, I am replying to my own post, but I just tried what you said about "show err" and I had the surprise to see that it was already in the line of the shortcut (I really don't know how) and I had no popup whatsoever. Does it go in a file after that or does the error repports just vanish ?

Then it's fine, that just means the obscure error part is right Maybe it's the rebels it belongs to then. There could be more settlements crashing, too. Have you tested any other? The European ones, for example? Maybe we can find something in common between them more easily if there's more. Don't push yourself too much though.

There are good news however: Opone doesn't appear in the new version

Then it's fine, that just means the obscure error part is right Maybe it's the rebels it belongs to then. There could be more settlements crashing, too. Have you tested any other? The European ones, for example? Maybe we can find something in common between them more easily if there's more. Don't push yourself too much though.

There are good news however: Opone doesn't appear in the new version
    That's sad, as it is a main commercial port

About your question "maybe it's the rebels it belong then", I don't understand. The "creator faction" in the "descr_strat" is supposed to set the belonging, isn't it ? Or am I wrong ?

In any case, I changed Opone's "creator faction" parameter from "numidia" (I think), or actual Kushites, to "Armenia" or actual Medes.

Tried a new game, lost Opone, it went to slave, not to medes. (so no ctd)

So I don't understand a lot of things here. I suppose the revolt doesn't give always the settlement to the owner faction, but I tried several times, and every time : Opone went slave.

A temporary fix could be to find the incriminated settlement who crashs, and change all their ownership to a faction where we know they will never "join" when revolting.

I didn't tested any other faction's settlement because I don't have a lot of time Yesterday I made a historical introduction file for the mod, and today I wasn't at home. I must admit testing all settlement one by one is quite time consuming and I am not sure I will have ever the time to do that

Woah, no, I'd never ask you to test every settlement, I think we prefer you alive and you found the solution already anyway. I bet that whole creator faction thing is nothing but an unfinished feature, and we can fix it later in the remote case it isn't. Thank you for your time, and patience.

Woah, no, I'd never ask you to test every settlement, I think we prefer you alive and you found the solution already anyway. I bet that whole creator faction thing is nothing but an unfinished feature, and we can fix it later in the remote case it isn't. Thank you for your time, and patience.
    Actually it is an IG feature from Rome Total war. From EB to IB, even in MIITW you have it. Which is a problem form me, because when you try to play a faction with a strong culture (like Koinon Helenon in EB), and since the AI faction is just dumb, you end up at war with everyone because none of them can hold their cities, and they all revolt and come back to you.

Sooo much for economic and commerce :p

EDIT : on and don't worry : I made the search because I am curious, AND because I had a persian game going and I really didn't want to see it end
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; March 08, 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Yeah, I've seen it too. That was just some vain hoping over here Though even if you're right, I'm sure we'll find the source of the problem. However for now it's okay I think, as long as no one else's game is ruined for such a silly thing.

About other players, I will try to create a concise walk through so nobody will have again to abandon a messed-up save because of end turn ctd.

Cuauchiquetl's Avatar Foederatus

Hi guys! I come from the future year of 2020 and I'm still getting this "End of turn ctd" I've had a few during the campaign and they were when I conquered a settlement by being attacked by the defenders, I just avoided combat and conquered the settlement later.

But I got to the point where (in my Parsa campaign) the game crashed during the Ionian turn, I don't even have the Ionians in my visual range.

Is there something else I could do?