Thread: Warhammer 40000 Q&A

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Warhammer 40000 Q&A

well, that's like.. you opinion man. You know they can only push so far making Med 3, Shogun 3, Rome 3, Empire 2 and so on... anyway. Line battles are not the sole defining mechanic of Total War and are present in most so called "strategy games" (most of them are actually tactical games with some front line resource gathering trowed in). Total War most striking characteristic is the economically successful combination of a rather shallow turn based "strategy" (which just keep getting shallower in every subsequent game) combined with very detailed and engaging real time tactical battles.

In fact it took them a good deal of time and coding to get proper battle lines in Rome 2 , it was just a bar brawl at first. Also we have things like Total War Battles, which have no a single linear battle-order nowhere in sight, more like Civ V chess, yet is called Total War, and not to mention their new Facebook Total War or whatever crap they are up to now. The point is, Total War is whatever CA says it is, not you or me, sadly.

Also a lot of WH40k battles look straight out from World War 1, especially IG battles, and guess what mod has been done for empire? (or was it Napoleon?).

On the other hand, again, you are entitled to your own opinion, but Empire at war was a good game and worked very good from a gameplay and economic point of view. On the matter at hand, the gameplay, the space battles did far better than the land ones yes, but there's no reason no to mix them in another hypothetically new game, as long both of them are made properly.

Simply try to imagine this: A 40K game like Empire at war, with it's Battlefleet Gothic like space battles, but replacing each planet with a map like the one from Dark Crusade and of course having land battles like the ones from Dawn of War. It is so hard to picture it?
    Last edited by Lord Baal; September 23, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Simply try to imagine this: A 40K game like Empire at war, with it's Battlefleet Gothic like space battles, but replacing each planet with a map like the one from Dark Crusade and of course having land battles like the ones from Dawn of War. It is so hard to picture it?
    Yeah I would dig that, and you would have to fight threw several engagements on every planet even in space, because if it would be only one space battle then the attacker would always have a huge advantage.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    well, that's like.. you opinion man.

You know they can only push so far making Med 3, Shogun 3, Rome 3, Empire 2 and so on... anyway.
    They can make a Warhammer Fantasy game.

Which also happens to fit with the TW formula, unlike 40k.

Line battles are not the sole defining mechanic of Total War and are present in most so called "strategy games" (most of them are actually tactical games with some front line resource gathering trowed in). Total War most striking characteristic is the economically successful combination of a rather shallow turn based "strategy" (which just keep getting shallower in every subsequent game) combined with very detailed and engaging real time tactical battles.
    I do not think I know of any other strategy game which has the same style of battles as those in the TW series.

In fact it took them a good deal of time and coding to get proper battle lines in Rome 2 , it was just a bar brawl at first. Also we have things like Total War Battles, which have no a single linear battle-order nowhere in sight, more like Civ V chess, yet is called Total War, and not to mention their new Facebook Total War or whatever crap they are up to now. The point is, Total War is whatever CA says it is, not you or me, sadly.
    I'd say that a Total War game is one that has the same mechanics as the core games of the series.

Also a lot of WH40k battles look straight out from World War 1, especially IG battles, and guess what mod has been done for empire? (or was it Napoleon?).
    Battles in 40k seem to depend on what the writer had for breakfast, as well as the particular faction. The Imperial Guard's doctrine can shift from that of a modern-day military force, to a Napoleonic one, to that of a World War One army. 40k writers don't really seem to care about internal consistency.

On the other hand, again, you are entitled to your own opinion, but Empire at war was a good game and worked very good from a gameplay and economic point of view.
    I enjoyed Empire at War, but I think their attempt to manage three different things did not really serve the game well.

On the matter at hand, the gameplay, the space battles did far better than the land ones yes, but there's no reason no to mix them in another hypothetically new game, as long both of them are made properly.
    The thing is, developers have to work on a limited budgets, and overly ambitious projects tend to end badly. Something would have to be cut, or a part of the game simplified. I'd rather have a 40k game with in-depth and interesting space or ground battles than one that has both but where they are more simplified.

Imagining isn't hard. Making something a reality is.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post

They can make a Warhammer Fantasy game.
    They are (I honestly hope).

Which also happens to fit with the TW formula, unlike 40k.
    Yes, it would be easier to make a fantasy game that resemble, fits and is alike the total war games released so far.

I do not think I know of any other strategy game which has the same style of battles as those in the TW series.
    Heck even in Age of Empires all units you selected walked around and marched on formation and lines. However here are some examples of tactical battles games that are a lot like(to not say some might be a rip off) Total war off the top of my head:
    Imperial Glory
    Cossacks, Cossacks 2 and Alexander
    Real Warfare northern crusade
    King Arthur II
    XIII Century (series)

I'd say that a Total War game is one that has the same mechanics as the core games of the series.
    Well for me the core mechanics are light handed turn based strategy game with detailed real time battles. That the battles uses rigid formations and so far the periods have lend themselves to line of battle mechanics? Yes, but that's only a small part of half of the game. Not the defining characteristic. For me is more important that moral, fatigue, ammunition and other stuff are taking into account for battles, couldn't care less if it was set on the stone age of the 40th millennium, if they move like the squads from Company of Heroes, Dawn of War or in rigid squares like the do now. Of course that's me.

Battles in 40k seem to depend on what the writer had for breakfast, as well as the particular faction. The Imperial Guard's doctrine can shift from that of a modern-day military force, to a Napoleonic one, to that of a World War One army. 40k writers don't really seem to care about internal consistency.
    Oh yeah, but we can always take that example and base a complete campaign over it. That's it, base the game on a series of planets where the trench warfare it's the order of the day.

I enjoyed Empire at War, but I think their attempt to manage three different things did not really serve the game well.
    That's the developers fault. Yes it was lacking but as you point out it was enjoyable. Imagine if it was more polished?

The thing is, developers have to work on a limited budgets, and overly ambitious projects tend to end badly. Something would have to be cut, or a part of the game simplified. I'd rather have a 40k game with in-depth and interesting space or ground battles than one that has both but where they are more simplified.
    Yet we always end up with rather bland games, even when they are separated aspects of the same universe. It's a sadly state of the industry this days.

Imagining isn't hard. Making something a reality is.
    Haven't said the contrary. It might be hard but is not really impossible either. Is very doable if only people voted with their wallets.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've seen the new patches for DoW 2 , I'm using them and I've read about DoW 3 and I pray and hope, yes I pray and hope, the Emprah protect!

Anyway a TW game for warhammer would be awesome! I've many doubts about the way in which CA deal with the fluff anyway there are the Mod teams. For Sigmar!
    Last edited by Diocle; September 23, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    They are (I honestly hope).
    Well, supposedly CA will make an announcement soon, and some hope it is a WHF game. It doesn't seem that unlikely, too. They have had the license for some time and seemingly done nothing with it.

Heck even in Age of Empires all units you selected walked around and marched on formation and lines. However here are some examples of tactical battles games that are a lot like(to not say some might be a rip off) Total war off the top of my head
    I do remember some of them now. I definitely played Imperial Glory for a while, although I've only heard of some of the others. But I definitely remember Imperial Glory having most TW mechanics.

Well for me the core mechanics are light handed turn based strategy game with detailed real time battles. That the battles uses rigid formations and so far the periods have lend themselves to line of battle mechanics? Yes, but that's only a small part of half of the game. Not the defining characteristic. For me is more important that moral, fatigue, ammunition and other stuff are taking into account for battles, couldn't care less if it was set on the stone age of the 40th millennium, if they move like the squads from Company of Heroes, Dawn of War or in rigid squares like the do now. Of course that's me.
    However, changing how units behave is a departure from previous installments, and we all know how well CA handles departures from trodden ground, don't we?

Yet we always end up with rather bland games, even when they are separated aspects of the same universe. It's a sadly state of the industry this days.
    Well, it is not my fault that Games Workshop would rather license Storm of Vengeance or Might of the Brave Space Marines or whatever instead of Battlefleet Gothic: Holy , Those are gigantic space cathedrals*.

*Now with extra Exterminatus!

Also, for God's sake, the next 40k game better not be another Mehreenfest. People go on and on about how Space Marines are more marketable and stuff, but I think the other factions would be equally as marketable if they actually bothered to market them.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; September 23, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

If Mark of Chaos is anything to go by a Warhammer Total war would end up better than anything post-Medieval II.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

How is the new patch of DoW2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Also, for God's sake, the next 40k game better not be another Mehreenfest. People go on and on about how Space Marines are more marketable and stuff, but I think the other factions would be equally as marketable if they actually bothered to market them.
    My feelings exactly! I relate a lot more to say, IG troops than a walking tank.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If Battlefleet Gothic is to be combined with land battles, then they should be of the Epic variety. Regular 40k land battles would be of too small a scale.

Yup, we are talking planetary invasions baby!

However commando operations could be conceived as something like DoWII.

In the end I can only pray for CA to at least have a glimpse of Call of Warhammer in order to have a general idea or clue of how to deal with the WHF license. On the other hand I hope they release a game at least as fun and acurate as that mod.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; September 24, 2014 at 02:45 PM.

TheBlackTower's Avatar Tiro

I have a question, What are the first release of this game?, what are the best one?, and is there a story in the game?, because i want to try the game but there is so many title and i don't know where to start !!! .
    “History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.”

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTower View Post
    I have a question, What are the first release of this game?, what are the best one?, and is there a story in the game?, because i want to try the game but there is so many title and i don't know where to start !!! .
    Computer game? Dawn of war 1 no doubt

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

TheBlackTower's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    Computer game? Dawn of war 1 no doubt
    Thank You for this fast answer, is this mean it don't have a story, and Campaign .
    “History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.”

And all it's expansions, except maybe SoulStorm, but that one is still fun with mods.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

So ummm what do CSM eat in the Eye of Terror? It's not like land there is arable or anything
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    So ummm what do CSM eat in the Eye of Terror? It's not like land there is arable or anything
    self denial I guess?.... I mean I never thought of it?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Human flesh, probably. They do got a lot of extra followers no one is going to miss.

Well some of them might not eat at all being half demons, possessed or just dust inside power armor. For the rest of them, I think there are indeed worlds that are "habitable" in the broadest sense of the world, however being inside the eye of terror and all the best world inside there must be a completely (and literally) hell compared to the worst of the worst world outside it. Perhaps a more fitting term would be "barely survivable for some time" planet.

There's a novel where some chaos idiots tried to make a machine that gave birth fully adult spacemarines or something like that, and yes, it involved woman being kidnapped and forced to do things that would make the most depraved and ardent fans of hentai and gore blush. Anyway, failed experiments were unceremoniously dumped by the drain and then if survived, lived on a hellish wasteland kind of like mad max but with the occasional demons eating your head and rain of blood, you know, your tipical Dwarf Fortress afternoon. However they managed to stay alive and even worshiped the Emprah. I don't know if it was because they were augmented humans. Failed acording to chaos quality inspection department but augmented nevertheless.

I have read of planets with millions of cultists where you basically see what happens when chaos takes over a planet and no IG, SM or exterminatus put a end to it. It's kind of like a entire Silent Hill planet, only that it's on crack-cocaine, salt baths and a spoonful of steroids.

In any of those I guess they just forage whatever is available, native plants and animals twisted by chaos. The original habitants be it they are hunted down or willfully sacrifice themselves to chaos. Soylent green factories. You name it.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; October 06, 2014 at 06:45 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Technically you probably would not need to eat in Eye of Terror, since time in that region is pretty muddy (not non-exist, just chaotic).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..