Thread: Warhammer 40000 Q&A

Default Re: Warhammer 40000 Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Because it's happened.

On Pavonis the Ultramarine scouts were hidden by camos and revealed themselves seconds later to blow the Tau pathfinders to kingdom come.

When on an infiltration mission they were able to move closer with camo cloaks and a tactical marine had them and the Tau were just passing over them.
    Ah it would of been nice had you simply referred to that, I withdraw my comment then

I had the impression you were simply stroking the Marine ego

I base it off what I read of and they seem to get all of the luck in 40K so yeah I do have some contempt but its rational.
    Reasonable enough, I simply base my view off of what I learned as a academic, it's no secret the bulk of 40k fiction is Imperial-centric thus it's expected non-imperials aren't given enough air time and usually run up on the crosshairs of some space marine or Imperial guardsman, again expected

Thus I don't hold space marine fiction in much high regard(I'm not a fan of heroics for the sake of heroics)...the Imperial guard ones are a different story......

Same to you for the Imperial Guard.
    A reasonable "grave concern" I would say, their military practices are questionable and maddening at times, I like efficiency and while I have a lack in faith of the tools the IG go to fight with I never question their bravery

The IG are my favorite and main army so I can't say I have a cold contempt for them..... as I play them

So we talking fluff or tabletop then?
    You didn't specifically say based off fluff so thus I mistaken your statement for in general(overall fluff and tabletop) as you give off the impression of someone who has played 40k for some time.....

Only a longtime player would have as much conviction as you have shown lately as you're quick to defend the Imperium, you're a die-hard loyalist no doubt about that
    Last edited by Okuto; January 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Does the Imperium have something like a troop transport light tank that isn't Chimera?
    With wheels? Like a Tauros , but slightly bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Does the Imperium have something like a troop transport light tank that isn't Chimera?
    With wheels? Like a Tauros , but slightly bigger?
    No but they do have this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The thing though is that their vehicles are either based off on a Chimera or a Leman Russ chasis.
    Last edited by nameless; January 20, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Okay, that's a little bit too huge for my taste... I was thinking something more like this:

When the Imperium does something....they do it big...

As for that IFV....the techpriests of mars haven't found the STC for it yet....

I think I was looking for this:

It's fast, it's light. I wonder if 50 men Platoon Squads could fit in there...

That Salamander scout tank is only used for recon and sometimes for officers, it commonly holds about 2-6+ guys.....

Yeah it's fast by imperial standards...shame it's not in the IG dex, I have two of them in my armored company

Indefinitely Banned

If you wanted to find a vehicle, that can transport 50 men, there's this:

Also, this one can carry 30 men:

In Dawn of War a Salamander could transport 20+ men.... But then that game always had strange transport capacities for tanks (3 Infantry Squads in a Chimera?). Always funny.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    In Dawn of War a Salamander could transport 20+ men.... But then that game always had strange transport capacities for tanks (3 Infantry Squads in a Chimera?). Always funny.
    Clearly the Imperial Guard drafted only the smallest of people to make the most out of their transport vehicles :>

But back on topic... do the Imperial Guard have any 'normal' vehicle to ferry troops or officers?

Like with wheels, and without the weight to crush schoolbuses?

Kind'a like a car of some sort.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    Kind'a like a car of some sort.
    I have a similiar question. Are there any civilian vehicles at all which resemble real-life cars?

In Gaunts ghosts they do seem to have staff cars that sorta resemble their WW2 German counterparts and trucks

But that sort of stuff is more common with the PDFs as they have to make due with non-standard equipment....

You'd be hard pressed to find an actual car in the Imperium.....as they are seem to be rare things only the rich and wealthy can get a hold of....you'd certainly rarely see a citizen with a "car" or let alone know what one is....

saglam2000's Avatar Campidoctor

In Ciaphus Cain "Hero of the Imperium" he used a car and a truck to get around some planet, i can't be assed to go look in the book at which planet. The truck was basically a normal military truck with room for a squad in the back and the car was a black sedan. And civilian owned cars were mentioned quite often on other planets as well.
    "The Turks are never trapped. It's the people who surround them who are in trouble."Anthony Hebert

‎"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Okuto View Post
    In Gaunts ghosts they do seem to have staff cars that sorta resemble their WW2 German counterparts and trucks

But that sort of stuff is more common with the PDFs as they have to make due with non-standard equipment....

You'd be hard pressed to find an actual car in the Imperium.....as they are seem to be rare things only the rich and wealthy can get a hold of....you'd certainly rarely see a citizen with a "car" or let alone know what one is....
    I think that again depends on the planet. Civilized planet population may have those, but agri-world and hive world population wont.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Okay, that's a little bit too huge for my taste... I was thinking something more like this:

they definitely have stuff like that (i mean size-wise) as smaller vehicles like that are often mentioned in novels. they are however usually some obscure name that there is no model for. (throughout the HH novels there are several different types named depending on who the humans are in that particular book, where theyre from etc..)

i have just purchased ciaphas cain defender of the imperium (basically books 4-6 and some short stories) with some free gift vouchers ive had for some 10 years now lol...hope its good!

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    I think that again depends on the planet. Civilized planet population may have those, but agri-world and hive world population wont.
    It just seems like the bulk of the Imperium's worlds are Hives thus I said rarely, for every 5 or so hive hell hole or backwater you read about you get one decent metropolis "Imperial World"

The Eisenhorn books are the best source of what "normal" everyday life is in the Imperium, it paints it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    they definitely have stuff like that (i mean size-wise) as smaller vehicles like that are often mentioned in novels. they are however usually some obscure name that there is no model for. (throughout the HH novels there are several different types named depending on who the humans are in that particular book, where theyre from etc..)

i have just purchased ciaphas cain defender of the imperium (basically books 4-6 and some short stories) with some free gift vouchers ive had for some 10 years now lol...hope its good!

Good to know, I just invented a name for one in my 40k fan fiction so ... yeah, it fits.

It just seems like the bulk of the Imperium's worlds are Hives thus I said rarely, for every 5 or so hive hell hole or backwater you read about you get one decent metropolis "Imperial World"

The Eisenhorn books are the best source of what "normal" everyday life is in the Imperium, it paints it very well.
    There are only around 32k hive worlds in the Imperium, and all the sources state that civilized worlds are the most common type.

No Hive Worlds make up only a small percentage of the Imperium. They make up the greatest in manpower but generally speaking there are only about thirty thousands of these worlds compared to the millions of other worlds.

The majority of Imperial worlds are civilized worlds like us where we are self-sufficient in terms of food and equipment and have moderately sized cities.

Got beaten to it.

Good to know, I just invented a name for one in my 40k fan fiction so ... yeah, it fits.
    The Imperium itself is huge. During the Horus Heresy there were a lot of armies that utilized vehicles and weapons that were more advanced than what is used now or different but have been lost to time.

So long as it fits within the story you can really just bring whatever you want in.
    Last edited by nameless; January 21, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Soooooooooo does anyone wanna read it?