Page 309 of 313 FirstFirst ... 209259284299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313 LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 6258

Thread: Warhammer 40000 Q&A

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Warhammer 40000 Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    No fluff suggests warp engine is produced by psykers.
    No, but you need someone capable of steering the damn thing while "fully submerged" in the warp. The earth castle did make some research on proper warp drives. They deemed them too unstable/unpredictable/deathly to be practical and simply ditched the whole thing.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

No fluff suggests warp engine is produced by psykers.
    Yes, there is.

First, there are Navigators. Navigators are linked pretty much directly to the engine, because their third eye lets them see into the warp so they can actually influence it. Next, there are Astropaths which are pretty much trans-galactic telephones and are required to get warning of coming warpstorms and such. The tau have neither, and especially no astronomicon. The best they can hope to do is 5 or 10 light years at a time in "sub-warp" jumps.

The necrons on the other hand have their very own 'warp' analogue. It works in pretty much the same way, but has no rapey demons all over it, and was given to them by the C'tan, who are bullies and not inclined to share.

Also, the most powerful faction are the Orks, especially after Ghazkull won on Octarius.

As God wills it.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Bobington View Post
    Yes, there is.

First, there are Navigators. Navigators are linked pretty much directly to the engine, because their third eye lets them see into the warp so they can actually influence it. Next, there are Astropaths which are pretty much trans-galactic telephones and are required to get warning of coming warpstorms and such. The tau have neither, and especially no astronomicon. The best they can hope to do is 5 or 10 light years at a time in "sub-warp" jumps.
    Nope, warp engine does not need either to work, just like a ship would still run without a light house and GPS guide. Furthermore Astropath does not exist during DAoT (navigator did and it was suggested Emperor was behind their creation during DAoT), suggests during DAoT both were not necessary for traveling in Warp (in fact a few weeks ago I remember there was a discussion in /tg/ mentioned there was a "warp navigation computer" of DAoT in the fluff of WH40K roleplay version).

Quote Originally Posted by Bobington View Post
    The necrons on the other hand have their very own 'warp' analogue. It works in pretty much the same way, but has no rapey demons all over it, and was given to them by the C'tan, who are bullies and not inclined to share.
    Nope the current fluff is Necrons hijack into Webway.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; April 05, 2016 at 07:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Navigation in the DAoT was done by on-board AI. Navigators came about after psychic powers started to manifest themselves a lot more frequently and the whole Iron Men thing.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Necrons used to have reationless drives which enabled them to move in real space very quickly (faster than traveling the warp). I think that got retcon'd when they where transformed into Tomb Kings Recycled IN SPACE!

Warp engines don't need pyskers per se. Ships in warp engines need either navigators(a kind of psyker) if they want to go anywhere and not end up buttraped-eaten in the way or a navigational computer of sorts.

It is implied (or specifically said) that computers, no matter how good couldn't guide ships as good as navigators while in the warp. At least not in this day an age. You can still use warp engines without navigators mind you, however you'll have to rely on a computer and be content with short/slow warp jumps.

The warp is described as an ocean of sorts when it comes to navigating in it, but instead of riding on the surface you need to go inside like a submarine, the deeper you are the faster you go, but also the more dangerous it gets and harder for a computer to navigate it is. So I think there would be a theoretical limits where distance/speed forceful imposes the need of a navigator for a chance of safe arrival.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; April 05, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Necrons used to have reationless drives which enabled them to move in real space very quickly (faster than traveling the warp). I think that got retcon'd when they where transformed into Tomb Kings Recycled IN SPACE!
    Not really. The old fluff is more like "nobody knows how Necrons travel, they just show up like Spanish Inquisition", now it is just Necrons hijack into Webway and Eldars are fighting a Webway war against Necrons.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

I distinctly remember reading their ships phasing out like wraiths and reactionless drives to move at ludicrous speed somewhere, but it migth have been some wiki or something not official.

I distinctly remember reading their ships phasing out like wraiths and reactionless drives to move at ludicrous speed somewhere, but it migth have been some wiki or something not official.
    On the other hand some old Black Library works said Oldcrons travel in warp gate.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Do you think "End times" is coming also for WH40k?

Nah, they are doing what they should have done with FB, exploiting the rich and vast past. Currently they are too busy cash cowing Horus heresy. After that who knows.

Yes but what's about the "Curse of the Wulfen "?

It's crap! A dangerous crap, with the power of subverting the whole WH40k universe!
    Chaotic Space Wolves, Dark Angels (Dark Angels!!!!!!) infiltrated by a Deamon! The Rock corrupted and infested!! Fenris bombed by Ultrasmurfs, Dark Angels, Iron Hands and Grey Knights?!!??!!???!! What's this crap?

This is dangerous crap of the worst kind!

If you look at the minis of "The Age of Sigmar" (horrid minis!) they look like SMs, IMO GW is trying to make a big blob with what still survives of WHFantasy and WH40k.

Oh, i was planning to read curse of the wulfen after I finish the Macharius trilogy.
    Is the curse of the wulfen that horrible/bad?
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

Nope, warp engine does not need either to work, just like a ship would still run without a light house and GPS guide. Furthermore Astropath does not exist during DAoT (navigator did and it was suggested Emperor was behind their creation during DAoT), suggests during DAoT both were not necessary for traveling in Warp (in fact a few weeks ago I remember there was a discussion in /tg/ mentioned there was a "warp navigation computer" of DAoT in the fluff of WH40K roleplay version).

Well, yes, you can build a quasi warp engine, however, Psykers are literally a component of their proper operation. Think of it like this, the warp engine is just like any combustion engine for a car or some crap. That's it. The psykers are everything else. The steering wheel, the wheels, the tires, the pedals, the radio, the windshield cleaners, the cigarette lighter.

tl;dr you have a useless hunk of metal.
    As God wills it.

Well, yes and no. As far as I understand. You can make a fully functional warp engine and turn it on without a psyker. Just don't expect to get too far or fast anywhere but to an horrible, non erotic tentacle induced death if you are lucky. Tau tried and basically said screw this, better stick to slower but more reliable travel.

Having a pysker iIt's more akin to having a driver to actually drive the car, instead of just dumping a brick on the gas pedal and pray you get to your destination on one piece.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; April 16, 2016 at 09:10 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius Sire View Post
    Oh, i was planning to read curse of the wulfen after I finish the Macharius trilogy.
    Is the curse of the wulfen that horrible/bad?

I've read it. It is very bad. It makes anything by C.S. Goto look like the Iliad by comparison
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Having a pysker iIt's more akin to having a driver to actually drive the car, instead of just dumping a brick on the gas pedal and pray you get to your destination on one piece.
    No, not really. Just as an example, Astropaths (which are a type of Psyker) are needed for any sort of communication. Additionally, Navigators are not really properly named. Their third eye lets them see directly into the warp. This not only allows them to properly steer it, but regulate the functions of the vessel. They will know if time stuff happens, and to watch out, they will know when to demand that the Armsmen guard the ship. In reality, their third eye makes them better than pretty much any Psyker. Their powers of prediction are (in theory) greater than that of Ulthran. It's simply that they are forced to be on Imperial ships that screws them over.
    As God wills it.

Chaotic Space Wolves
    That actually existed in old fluff though.

One thing always puzzled me: what do you need to awaken Necrons? I mean, in which way may it happen to rectivate Necrons after thousands years of sleep? Is it a sound? Some vibration, maybe the frequency of some specific human or mechanical sound? Do they need to be touched? Is it a smell? Or something chemical? A colour? Some kind of light? What?

Well according to official lore, all the necron tomb cities had a specific time date to reawaken, date which got screwed due to the interference of nature (Suns going novas, tectonic changes, earthquakes, etc...) that is why most tomb worlds are desynchronized, moreover such worlds that dont follow the specific date can reawaken if another species somehow tinkers with the defense mechanisms of such cities

So the War of Beast series comes to the final ending, what you guys think about this series?