Thread: Installation probs for ss6.2 + new RR/RC

preachercheeze's Avatar Biarchus

Default Installation probs for ss6.2 + new RR/RC

Okay... first off: yes, I have searched the forums...

second: I have watched all the threads that relate to the releases of SS 6.2 and RR/RC and I must say that I am very confused at which files to install and in what order to install them...

alrightey then... some facts:

first a clean 6.0 install

then I have installed the SS 6.2 with mini-patch from here

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

after this it gets confusing... the game works after the above, but I have maaany RR/RC now here (hotfixes, patches and then some)... which to install to get the latest RR/RC then?

I have the following installed:

PB's april RR/RC (CTD at splash screen)

I have the following DL (not installed 'cause of above crash)

patch RC4.rar
    merchant guild bug fix
    mongol bug fix

I installed the RR/RC as per instructions (in the M2TW folder) and when prompted I merged the files in the mod folder...

then I ran the .bat file in the M2TW folder and then the starting .bat in the SS folder... it loads alright the first splash, but CTD directly after...

so, where did I do wrong??? and is it okay to wish for a sticky with install instructions AND eventual sub-mods that is compatible???

cheers....

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Installation probs for ss6.2 + new RR/RC

I've been wanting for a sticky for sometime
    Here are install order belong too everyone (xD)

1. Install clean M2TW
    2. Instal Stainless Steel 6.0
    3. Install 6.1 (Or use the patch you linked too, but I have no experience with that)
    4. Install 6.2 :O(While writing this is where i realised your mistake) RRRC OR RC4, you installed both!
    6.2 RR/RC is its own thing, not the 6.2 from that. I'll drop some links at the bottom of this post

Now for the hotfixes. First off those three files you have left over are only for RC4, not RR/RC. Don't worry about them (as far as I know)

The April hotfix IS the latest for RR/RC, but the June hotfix is the latest BETA. Don't worry bout it.

Now here you go.

Installation Guide: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...p?t=341997#6.2
    Patch 6.1: In the Installation guide under 6.2, RR/RC. I would link it but you have a choice for 4 mirrors, which ever you like!
    Patch 6.2 RR/RC: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=300716 Install parts 1 AND 2 then run the .bat
    6.2 RR/RC Hotfix: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...336450&page=26 Extract and then install and then run the new .bat

Install list:
    1. Install M2TW Clean (As long as you have a clean Stainless Steel you can continue. you clean it out, simply delete the folder for SS in Mods)
    2. Delete the Stainless Steel folder in your mods folder.
    3. Install Stainless Steel6.0 parts 1 and 2
    4. Install 6.1 Where I showed you too get it
    5. Install 6.2 RR/RC BOTH PARTS. Extract where it says too. Run the batch.
    6. Install The hotfix on the page I linekd you too. Extract it the same, then run the batch.
    It should work now!

Optional. Remove the scary portraits. Go into your campaign portrait files and delete them all! Except custom. Ill ellaborate on that more if you want leter

Good luck!
    Last edited by Alpha Zeke; July 28, 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Didn't finish when it posted? :O

RR/RC compilation gets installed ontop of 6.1. Either install 6.2 OR RR/RC compilation.
    See Stainless Steel 6.X Install Guide for information and questions regarding the install
    process and follow the steps to 6.1, then follow the steps in the RR/RC release topic.
    Don't mix those 6.2 patches your linking into RR/RC. 6.2 stands on its own as does RR/RC compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Historydude View Post

1. Install clean M2TW
    2. Instal Stainless Steel 6.0
    3. Install 6.1 (Or use the patch you linked too, but I have no experience with that)
    4. Install 6.2 :O(While writing this is where i realised your mistake) RRRC OR RC4, you installed both!
    6.2 RR/RC is its own thing, not the 6.2 from that. I'll drop some links at the bottom of this post

Now for the hotfixes. First off those three files you have left over are only for RC4, not RR/RC. Don't worry about them (as far as I know)

The April hotfix IS the latest for RR/RC, but the June hotfix is the latest BETA. Don't worry bout it.

Now here you go.

Installation Guide: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...p?t=341997#6.2 RR/RC
    Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw
    RR/RC compilation gets installed ontop of 6.1. Either install 6.2 OR RR/RC compilation.
    See Stainless Steel 6.X Install Guide for information and questions regarding the install
    process and follow the steps to 6.1, then follow the steps in the RR/RC release topic.
    Don't mix those 6.2 patches your linking into RR/RC. 6.2 stands on its own as does RR/RC compilation.
    so the short answer is that if I want to play 6.2 I can't have the event based unit progress??? I really liked having a historical correct game in my 6.1 SS but I wanted to test out the 6.2... am I missing something here on how to get event based unit development???

Edit: oh... READ the posted links BEFORE you post.... *doh!!!*

thanks for the link HistoryDude... I was a little fast with my reply that I missed the link provided... thanks for the help, both to you and bane_tw...
    Last edited by preachercheeze; July 28, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I am a stupid stupid maaaan.... :P

Read my new edited post above ;P Event unit based production is still in play. It works in mine

Optional. Remove the scary portraits. Go into your campaign portrait files and delete them all! Except custom. Ill ellaborate on that more if you want leter

Good luck!
    what's with the scary portraits??? should I be scared???

I won't be getting any fans for saying this but a(nother) sticky won't stop people from mixing 6.2 with RR/RC compilation. The first thing mentioned in the release post of RR/RC compilation is that it has to be installed on top of a clean 6.1. If anything it would have to be different naming conventions and I doubt that will help much. Only preachercheeze can tell us why he installed 6.2 instead of 6.1 and then we are going somewhere. WELCOME TO STAINLESS STEEL: GENERAL INFORMATION GUIDE stickied should be enough - more stickies confuse more then they help.

My personal idea would be too create only one sticky, delete all others reguarding installation in the main forum.
    It would have every single step outlined, and describe every component, and i would be willing too do it

/unfan bane_tw

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    I won't be getting any fans for saying this but a(nother) sticky won't stop people from mixing 6.2 with RR/RC compilation. The first thing mentioned in the release post of RR/RC compilation is that it has to be installed on top of a clean 6.1. If anything it would have to be different naming conventions and I doubt that will help much. Only preachercheeze can tell us why he installed 6.2 instead of 6.1 and then we are going somewhere. WELCOME TO STAINLESS STEEL: GENERAL INFORMATION GUIDE stickied should be enough - more stickies confuse more then they help.
    the problem for me was that I misunderstood the SS 6.2 release and the 6.1 + the new RR/RC equals SS 6.2 RR/RC...

When I went looking, I thought that the latter was a 6.1 release only... it's kind of confusing if you haven't been in the discussion during the development and such during the last 2 years... and the RC4 confused even more because that is has the same short as RC in RC/RR...

ach well... I hope that someday there will be a clean install with only SS 6.x which includes all compatible sub mods as tickable.... as BYG and RC/RR was in the 6.1 patch

anyways... thanks again for the help! really appreciate it!

Anytime!

And as for the portraits.. well... its almost as if someone invented a camera then and took the most drab photos of people. really threw me off balance :/

My personal idea would be too create only one sticky, delete all others reguarding installation in the main forum.
    It would have every single step outlined, and describe every component, and i would be willing too do it

/unfan bane_tw
    Ok wait... you've been a fan? OMG
    My proposal would be to quote the first post of the Stainless Steel install guide and post the reworked version in the exact same topic. After thats done ask CC to join it into the General Information topic and to delete all posts that are chronological before it so the first post of the info topic will be the one by Mega and the second one your version. If I remember correctly CC likes red wine - so if need be send him a flask to speed things up
    Quote Originally Posted by preachercheeze View Post
    the problem for me was that I misunderstood the SS 6.2 release and the 6.1 + the new RR/RC equals SS 6.2 RR/RC...

When I went looking, I thought that the latter was a 6.1 release only... it's kind of confusing if you haven't been in the discussion during the development and such during the last 2 years... and the RC4 confused even more because that is has the same short as RC in RC/RR...

ach well... I hope that someday there will be a clean install with only SS 6.x which includes all compatible sub mods as tickable.... as BYG and RC/RR was in the 6.1 patch
    Thats why I'm already glad for 6.3 - no more ReleaseCandidate4 to confuse the masses

Holy Shiznopalis. RC4 and RC/RR confused me soo bad. Yeah I actually like your idea, and when i get home from the movies tonight, I'll start writing that guide. But only release it if allowed of course. Also, I would reccomend in the General info guide too link too mine and also note that the one quoted is not the only guide, but both work.

Holy Shiznopalis. RC4 and RC/RR confused me soo bad.
    Basicly the sole reason why I labeled the updated installers I created with 6.2.4. Btw I use YY.MM.DD as versions for RR/RC - so the april version is 10.04.11. At least it keeps my internal "documentation" straight as there already is a april version only from 2009... and a different day.
    Yeah I actually like your idea, and when i get home from the movies tonight, I'll start writing that guide. But only release it if allowed of course.
    sbroadbent has been off for a month but I doubt he'll mind having "competition" - a nice pm to Caesar Clivus explaining the idea and another one when your finished and that should be it (well... aside from the writing, of course).
    Also, I would reccomend in the General info guide too link too mine and also note that the one quoted is not the only guide, but both work.
    I'm sure Mega Tortas de Bodemloze will be happy to include you

*popping popcorn and watch with interest how this little conversation will end*

and about the scary portraits... it is soooo retro M:TW!!!! although it will take a while before I get used to them though....

but how come Norway is in Sweden during the 1450 campaign???? is this some kind of error??? and also, why isn't Turkku under Swedish (Norway) domain??? it was a province to Sweden from the 13th century....

prob balance issues, but that discussion has another thread waiting in RR/RC, the fabled land.

So I guess I'll write one, from the experience of a non-creator and a very confused installer.

Quote Originally Posted by preachercheeze View Post
    *popping popcorn and watch with interest how this little conversation will end*
    Well... its the internet, so... in a Flame War
    and about the scary portraits... it is soooo retro M:TW!!!! although it will take a while before I get used to them though....
    If you can't get used to them just delete them from /mods/SS6 and the game will use the defaults
    but how come Norway is in Sweden during the 1450 campaign???? is this some kind of error??? and also, why isn't Turkku under Swedish (Norway) domain??? it was a province to Sweden from the 13th century....
    My information is a bit outdated but when I looked into it the 1450 was a beta campaign mainly intended to give an opportunity to use the late units. After all Early Era and Late Era are still the main focus.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Post questions/issues with RR/RC in the RR/RC forum.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team