Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strategic Air Power - Representation

Default Strategic Air Power - Representation

Congrats on getting the model convertor guys! This will be a legendary mod when it gets finished. I was thinking about doing a similar mod but don't have the experience so I might as well throw some of my ideas out there for you.

So when I was brain storming on how to make it possible to have aircraft, I thought about how they would function since aircraft didn't do close air support during this time period. Instead they did recon, air superiority and some strategic bombing. So they need to be able to move around on the campaign map to scout, kill other aircraft, and perhaps damage structures.

We already have a unit that can do all that: The Rake. So my original idea was to change the Brothel into a military structure like an airfield or something, change the campaign map model, and then adjust Rake Spawn Rate and max Rakes. The player can then just build 'airfields' and get a complement of 'airplanes'. You can even have famous pilots since all Rakes are named and have varying levels of skill.

While there are some problems, I think this would work pretty well. Just don't forget to change all gentlemen to imams so they can't duel airplanes.

Go Go Red Baron!

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Re: Strategic Air Power - Representation

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Congrats on getting the model convertor guys! This will be a legendary mod when it gets finished. I was thinking about doing a similar mod but don't have the experience so I might as well throw some of my ideas out there for you.

So when I was brain storming on how to make it possible to have aircraft, I thought about how they would function since aircraft didn't do close air support during this time period. Instead they did recon, air superiority and some strategic bombing. So they need to be able to move around on the campaign map to scout, kill other aircraft, and perhaps damage structures.

We already have a unit that can do all that: The Rake. So my original idea was to change the Brothel into a military structure like an airfield or something, change the campaign map model, and then adjust Rake Spawn Rate and max Rakes. The player can then just build 'airfields' and get a complement of 'airplanes'. You can even have famous pilots since all Rakes are named and have varying levels of skill.

While there are some problems, I think this would work pretty well. Just don't forget to change all gentlemen to imams so they can't duel airplanes.

Go Go Red Baron!
    Hello!

First off, thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated by the team!

This is coincidentally one of the ideas the team have been considering, and are planning to implement in the next (major) update!

Thanks,

Aanker

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

LOL!
    "If a pro is the opposite of a con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Yep this idea was also dreamed up by one of the team.

Some great thinking though! I suspect one day someone from the fan community will come up with a 'great' idea we've missed.

+rep for some ingenuity.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Yes, +rep.

We do encourage our community to help us make this mod as enjoyable as possible, whether it be by simply reporting bugs and other problems, or providing ideas and new approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Yeah, you're a bit late but its a good idea whether you think of it now or earlier. I would give you rep but it says that you don't have rep enabled?

The famous pilot idea is actually something that I don't think anyone has mentioned, and its pretty good too.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Well thanks. As long as it makes it into the mod ^_^. Hopefully I didn't spoil anything you wanted to keep secret.

I also hope that you can include different types of aircraft by differentiating things like airships/bombers/fighters with dueling/sabotage skill or something. You could even make different airfield upgrades to specify which ones you end up getting.

Now - how do you keep them from assassinating generals?

Anyway, looking forward to next release with machine guns and such.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; July 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yep, this is the best idea for representing airplanes. +rep
    [Col] RO Citizen

Well thanks. As long as it makes it into the mod ^_^. Hopefully I didn't spoil anything you wanted to keep secret.

I also hope that you can include different types of aircraft by differentiating things like airships/bombers/fighters with dueling/sabotage skill or something. You could even make different airfield upgrades to specify which ones you end up getting.

Now - how do you keep them from assassinating generals?

Anyway, looking forward to next release with machine guns and such.
    Yeah, we are planning to have fighters, bombers, and reconaissance.

And they won't have the assasination ability. As for the duel ability, that and the can recieve duel ability will be removed from all other agents.

And for the mgs I assume you mean the models, as the mg units are already ingame
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Will AA be represented someway?

I think air duels would be pretty interesting, as long as the duels are between pilots I don't see an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Will AA be represented someway?
    Some sort of security would probably be good to increase the chance of failure. After all the Red Baron was killed by AA.

what about flying over rivers, and open waters? as i remember spys cant do that...

is there a chance to set "true" for spy`s and infantry to cross rivers in config?

because they got in ww1 Pioneers too,they prefer bridges but can cross everywhere...

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by williamtell0 View Post
    I think air duels would be pretty interesting, as long as the duels are between pilots I don't see an issue.
    This is an interesting idea, so if spies duel, we could simulate a dogfight? eh?

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    This is an interesting idea, so if spies duel, we could simulate a dogfight? eh?
    Yep, and I could replace the battle videos with dogfight video clips from WW1.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mitch, Your humble servant♔ View Post
    Awesomee!!!

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Logik's Avatar Campidoctor

This fantastic news i cant wait for the next update.
    My gaming rig nicknamed The Beast. OMEN by HP Obelisk Gaming Desktop Computer, 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K Processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB, HyperX 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, VR Ready, Windows 10 Home (875-1023, Black)

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mitch, Your humble servant♔ View Post
    You should see if you can't get permission to use the History Channel Dogfight show sequences from their WWI eps. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting associated with actual history instead of UFOs and Truckers.

Some sort of security would probably be good to increase the chance of failure. After all the Red Baron was killed by AA.
    Ah, OK, good. Although if AA is going to be available as a building, it shouldn't be very expensive, otherwise I doubt many people would buy it.

Technology tree could have an aviation branch? Monoplane, biplane, triplane; pistols, mounted machine guns, Fokker synchronizer; scouts, fighters, bombers. Perhaps even the different major planes. eg, for Germany: Fokker Eindecker; Albatross DIII; Fokker Triplane; Fokker DVII. Maybe the planes could be for different airfields (if any) as opposed to being in the tech tree so that you may have different planes stationed at different points on the front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast