Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emigre Regiments - insignia & uniforms

Default Emigre Regiments - insignia & uniforms

Hey chaps.
    As part of a massive illustration project, I'm drawing images of the Emigre regiments that served under British pay and orders. These are mainly units that were disbanded soon after being formed, or units that were just massacred at Quiberon or similar failed operations.

I've been tinkering with history a bit, imagining what these regiments may have looked if they'd been reformed several years later, and shipped to the Peninsular.
    So, a mix of old Emigre details, British equipment, and uniforms to follow French fashions of dress. Some regiments showing individual flourishes to mark the personalities of the aristos that formed them.

I've been basing the regimental badges on any sort of French royal insignia that I can find - fleur-de-lys and crowns - designs borrowed from pre-Revolutionary coinage mainly.

Does anyone have any images of pre-Revolutionary French military badges, insignia, or regimental flags?
    If you've any neat bits of information on regiments too, it'd be very welcome, or pictures of the old Emigres (I have a fair number, but more never hurts), or suggestions, all would be welcome.

As always yours, but forever myself...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Riflllllles! To me!.... Fix Swords!"

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast

Default Re: Emigre Regiments - insignia & uniforms

If you look at the exchanges with Didz on Chasseurs Brittanique http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=367144 (posts 7 & 8) you will see some pictures of emigre troops.

Thank you for that - I have read through that, & the two Osprey books on Emigre & Foreign Troops in British Service.
    It's more images & pictures that I need, especially immediately pre-Revolution French army images.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For initial info on flags suggest you have a look at http://www.warflag.com/flags/select.shtml whereas http://www.drapeaux.org/Accueil.htm (in French) has much more comprehensive information.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; July 29, 2010 at 07:18 AM.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Picture of Chasseurs Britanniques officer here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Chasseurs Britanniques (1801-14) description:
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Chasseurs Britanniques were originally uniformed in green coats with yellow facings, with grey trousers. Their equipment was all Russian in pattern as, prior to entering British service, the battalion had been in Russian service. The Chasseurs continued to wear this uniform until they were stationed on the Isle of Wight. There, the uniform was brought in line with the rest of the British Army. The green and yellow coats were replaced by red coats with white facings, and white trousers. Officers' uniforms included silver lace, while the other ranks had blue and white piping. The uniform was topped off with a black shako with a plume. Grenadier companies wore white plumes, while the light companies had a green plume. The officers wore bicorne hats.[10] As with many light infantry battalions, the Chasseurs had no colours.[10]
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

You can see examples of ancien regime regimental buttons at http://www.bertrand-malvaux.fr/en/c/1008/buttons.html

Ah, Essling! Music to my ears!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some nice triple fleur-de-lys & crown motifs.
    I've seen as such on coins, with a bull depicted below, but regimental colours? Is there any information out there?

Plus, if you were designing a regimental uniform for a loyalist French regiment to fight against Napoleon c.1810... how would you design it?
    (In all likelilhood, they'd actually probably follow regulation British uniforms... but imagine they're bankrolled by a French Emigre CO, and he wants to keep some French cultural details in the regimental regulations...

Thank you Geronimo - Ive plenty on the Chasseurs Britanniques - it's more about the regiments that didn't survive after the Quiberon expedition that I'm interested in though.
    Last edited by ChaosLondon; July 29, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ChaosLondon - have you looked at http://museequiberon.port-haliguen.c...royalistes.htm which has some info on the Quiberon operation, list of regiments, account of the action etc etc ?

Perhaps this may help

Army of Condé

army of Condé

Cheers

Cheers Flodin - I've had copies of those for a little while & they've formed the basis of my illustrations so far - just hoping now to get down to closer and finer details...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok Found this online

French emigre hussars

Cheers

Some more Emigre rgt

Émigré Soldiers at the battle at Quiberon (1795) . Left to right 1st Division 1) Régiment du Dresnay ou de Léon. 2) Loyal Emigrant. 3) Régiment d’Hervilly. 4) Royal Artillerie. 5) Régiment d’Hector ou Marine-Royale.

Left to right 2nd Division 1) Légion du Périgord. 2) Légion de Béon. 3) Régiment de Damas. 4) Régiment de Rohan. 5) Légion de Salm-Kiburg

cheers

Hey hey Flodin - lovely images.
    Where are they from?
    I'm guessing the hussars are from a book - do you know if the book has more info on infantry regiments (that's where I'm most interested, seeing as I can't draw horses!)

The second post, with the 1st & 2nd Divs Quiberon: do you have any more info as to where these images are from?
    Thanks again,
    C.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLondon View Post
    Hey hey Flodin - lovely images.

The second post, with the 1st & 2nd Divs Quiberon: do you have any more info as to where these images are from?
    Thanks again,
    C.
    The latter can be found in an article entitled "Armée des émigrés" at http://fr.academic.ru/dic.nsf/frwiki/133049

Thanks for that Essling - a really good link. It's a pity I can't speak much French!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLondon View Post
    Thanks for that Essling - a really good link. It's a pity I can't speak much French!
    Google translate does a fair to reasonable job on turning the text to something approaching intelligible English - though of course it doesn't capture all of the nuances.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; August 15, 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Sorry ChaosLondon, should have replyd earlier but , weekend, family, children, wife, etc..........

Ok, the hussars are from this site:

http://www.warandgame.info/2009/12/f...hussars-i.html

http://www.warandgame.info/2009/12/f...ussars-ii.html

I think the pictures are from this book, but I can´t guarantee it

Ok, 1st and 2nd Divs Quiberon, are from this site:

http://warandgame.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/emigres/

Good Luck with your work

Cheers

Release Roma Surrectum soon
    Last edited by Flodin; August 15, 2010 at 03:22 PM.

Really good link about Quiberon campaign, Prince of Essling

Cheers

Release Roma Surrectum soon

For some further uniform plates have a look at pages 66 onwards at http://www.darnault-mil.com/Galerie/...evolution.html as unfortunately the site's settings do not allow me to copy from Funcken's "Les Soldats de la Revolution Francaise".

Book on Quiberon landing entitled "The debris of Quiberon , memories of the disaster of 1795 followed by the list of victims" by Eugene La Gournerie in French at http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt...132.pagination
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; August 30, 2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correction of page number

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast