Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age. Should i buy it?

Default Dragon Age. Should i buy it?

Well, i don't have a PS3, but my cousin does, and i visit his house alot. Well, i've heard about this game and it looks cool! But Elder Scrolls IV also looks.

PLEASE, i do NOT want a endless discussion about which is better, Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I've seen of these in internet.

Well, i DO want to know which is better, but i'd like a quick, objective review of each of those seven points for both games, and into the end , which is better into overall.

FIRST: Story. Which has a more suprising, epic, deep, gripping story,one that makes you WANT to know what happens, that makes you get involved?

Second : Durability. I mean , how much time i'll spend on it, by doing everything i can do in the game? )

THIRD: Graphics. ( On PS3) I've seen only screenshoots of both games. Which has better graphics? ( ON PS3.)

FOURTH: Gameplay. Which has a more challenging, interesting ,gripping, funnier gameplay?

FIFTH: Audio. Anything: Sound of spells, music, etc.

SIXTH: Size. Which has an bigger, freer world?

SEVEN: Overall.
    Last edited by beckyolt; July 27, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Re: Dragon Age. Should i buy it?

Firstly, the console versions of these games are inferior to the PC version. If you can get and run that, do so. Dragon Age has a far better control scheme on PC, and Oblivion has mods. On your other points:

1) Oblivion has next to no story, it's a sandbox game really. DA has a brilliant story.
    2) With the PC version and mods, Oblivion can last hundreds of hours. Otherwise, 30-50ish? A DA playthrough takes you about 35-40 hrs first time through, and it's very replayable.
    3) Neither are lookers. DA:O probably looks slightly better as it's newer, but you're going to see the effects more in Oblivion with it's open world.
    4) Oblivion is hack'n'slash really. DA is very tactical (and thus is a bit fiddly on consoles).
    5) ... I really don't know about this.
    6) Oblivion is a completely open world. DA you're in linear instanced zones. It's completely different.
    7) They're really contrasting genres, so I really can't say. It's what you prefer doing.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Thanks!

Any more reviews,people?

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

I pretty much second everything that Musthavename has said, he's spot on.

It all comes down to what you prefer. Do you want an open world game that allows you run about and do everything at your own speed (but sacrificing story) or do you want an epic, story driven game that relies more on traditional RPG elements?
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

your writing can hurt the eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    Audio. Anything: Sound of spells, music, etc.

"woosh!"

"slash, blark, dang...clang, AAARGH!!"

"Roar ++3" (darkspawn)

hope I created the right image for you.

overall: Oblivion is only good at the freedom of the moment, since you can literally wake up one day and become a thief, stealing people's silver plates from their houses. DA doesn't have that, every place and every street from DA is related to a quest and nothing is random. So you'll be traveling a lot in Oblivion in order to find a good fight or a cool dungeon. In DA, you'll be guided pretty easily from one conflict point to the other without much fuss.
    Depends what you like.

But when it comes to storyline, character development, decision making and dialogue system, that's something you see only in DA.
    No.

DA. I have it on Xbox which I acknowledge isn't as good as PC, but had no choice. Either way, it's fun. I held off a long time cause the fantasy theme sort of grew tiresome for me, but I really enjoyed DA's story and even started a second playthrough. Oblivion got boring fast to me.

However, DA is ing hard if you don't pay attention. You can be slaying beasties one second, go into the wrong room and get raped quickly. It gets kind of annoying.

What did i say, people? Please, review the games by the points i settled.

VOP2, since when is your brother on the forums?
    No.

Okay mate I will review games for you Mayeb there will be drama ahead. (In case of that rememerb its only MY opinion, yes?)

Points.

1. STORY - Oblivion has uninspiring boring main plot, nothing special, demon gates to some parallel universe you need to close them, really nothing great. Side-quests can be pretty interesting.
    DA - absolutely dull clichee story. Oh how original demon with original looks of dragon ravages land with horde of faceless, personless monsters and group of heroes with few "chosen ones" are only ones able to stop it. I seriously dont get people who find it interesting. Awful story. Some sidequests are not bad but still nothing memorable.

2. Durability well DA on first playthrough can make up to 100 hours with addon. After that, do you really need to play it? Replayability is terrible you are doomed to walk through same locations with same events in same order without any serious change to gameplay beside few different dialogue options that dont change anything in gameplay. Are you fan of repeating such crap? If yes then DA is your choice.
    Oblivion - I doubt anybody will have desire of completing game second time, squeezing everything out of it can take to 150 hours afterwards you can try some mods but I am not sure you wont be sick of that game by that time.

3: Graphics - well I can tell you about pc, not sure about ps but usually they dont differ that much.

DA has ugly uninspiring graphics, locations it seems came from developmental phase in mid 2000ies. Characters look good but dont have animated textures on faces, still looks good but dated already. But surroundings, brrr, you'll never see any inspiring landscape and lots of walls with blurry textures.

Oblivion - it was awesome back in the days when it appeared but now graphics are dated, still can look pretty at times but after all those years graphics look not great either.

4. Gameplay - Dragon Age has boring gameplay that reeks with end of 90ies, you want to see some beautiful battle moves and enjoy a good show? Forget it. On higher levels of difficulcy you'll be pausing it every 2 seconds to micro-manage another set of tedious orders, or spend usless amount of time in "tactics" section just to see your super-tactics work bad on new big enemy, battles are very lame in DA. Gameplay is starightforward there is no real freedom of movement.

Oblivion - open world sandbox game, battles are action oriented and it could eb fun but level scaling kills everything, its a major flaw in game and makes it absolutely unpleasnt to play. There are mods taht fix it (for pc) and I doubt such is avaliable for PS3... So Oblivion gameplay could be good but terrible in its own ways.

5 Audio both games have bleak and uninspiring sounds and music, somehow the days when games had really special melodies are gone forever you get portions of clichee "fantasy" songs or "dungeon" songs that you wont be able to rememebr next day. Both games have such sound that you hardly notice its there.

DA has much better voice acting than Oblivion and thats a plus, indeed.

6. Size Probably the only reason to look at Oblivion nowadays it does have a good big open world that can be interesting to explore and travel (if only gameplay was any good, alas level scaling kills any interest you'll see if you get it).

DA is a sad joke, linear rpg with locations leaving less impressions than Final Fantasy 7 even nowadays. I dont knwo who worked as designer there but its massive copy-paste of worst fantasy clichees our history can offer.

7 Overall few years ago I'd advise you to get Oblivion since it was advanced game back then but nowadays. If you like clichee soap-operas in fantasy setting and dont mind the flaws I mentioned you will like DA.

I'd say you shouldnt get any of those games or get them for free from some friend for pc not to regret spent money later.
    Last edited by pickelhaube; July 27, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Der Schlaf der Vernunft gebiert Ungeheuer

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Razvus View Post
    VOP2, since when is your brother on the forums?
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    What?
    because beckyolt has the same love for inner-thread rules as you do.
    No.

Comes Domesticorum

lol...

Civitate

Ha

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

I don't think I've ever met someone with as poor a taste in games as Pickelhaube
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

I like your optmist words,pickelhaube. =]

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Seeing how Oblivion is an old game by now, its likely very cheap so why not get both?

I don't live at USA. Games here are expensive.

get it from steam then.
    No.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

lol at pickelhaube's review, IMO he doesn't have a taste indeed

FIRST: Story. Actually I love classic fantasy, so both stories are nice; but DA's is far superior. especially if you take nice dialogues into account and amazingly developed characters, each of them have some interesting biography and frames in the wardrobe

Second : Durability. I played Oblivion for several months, with mods. DA doesn't have this advantage, but you still have the possibility to play it for 2-3 times, chosing different classes

THIRD: Graphics. I don't care for them; both look nice

FOURTH: Gameplay. Oblivion's combat is pathetic. Actually I've never played a tactical RPG before DA and liked the style of combat very much. you need to think more when you're fighting.

FIFTH: Audio. Both have amazing music and good sounds. Both games' soundtracks were created by leading game composers, Jeremy Soule and Inon Zur.

SIXTH: Size. Oblivion's world is bigger, though I love the detailed world of Thedas, if you like to read much about the background and history of the world, it's all in the Codex (actually books in Oblivion are not great, Morrowind's were better).

SEVEN: Buy DA .

Someone wants to tell that story that revolves around demon in form of dragon attacking from underground with horde of personless monsters and group of heroes who can battle him because have drop of "dark" blood themsleves is very refreshing and original? Oh yes thats a wonderful taste!
    Der Schlaf der Vernunft gebiert Ungeheuer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast