Thread: What does it mean when "cavalry screens the advance?"

Default What does it mean when "cavalry screens the advance?"

What is a cavalry screen?

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: What does it mean when "cavalry screens the advance?"

Hi there.
    Basicly it is a combination of battlefield reconnaissance and protection of a moving body of soldiers. If in recon-mode, they scan the field for ambushes, hidden features, pathfinding, taking closer looks at potential enemy positions and so on.
    In protection mode, cavalry screen is usualy riding as vanguard, rearguard and on the flanks of a column in advance, working as pathfinders, securing important bridgeheads in advance, and so on.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen

So what does it mean if my cavalry is screening my infantry?
    Would that possibly mean its keeping the enemy from seeing them?

Quote Originally Posted by God of War, View Post
    So what does it mean if my cavalry is screening my infantry?
    Would that possibly mean its keeping the enemy from seeing them?

The best way it was described to me is more or less as follows (at least in later American doctrine):

Between armies there is the middle ground. Whomever controls the middle ground gives their army greater freedom of deployment and has a much better idea of what he is facing. Cavalry, being speedy troops, are best suited for this task.

A perfect example would be General Buford's cavalry at Gettysburg during the ACW. Deploying his cavalry, dismounted, to slow down the main enemy force and deny him knowledge of the Union Army while it was given time to form up in defensive positions and later win the battle in part because of these strong defensive points.
    "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
    -Last words of Oscar Wilde

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi there.
    Well, invicible units is not possible unless they are light infantry. It means that they are "scouting in advance" of the infantry, tripping off eventual surprices before they reach the infantry. That includes engaging enemy ambushes, fighting off stalkers and generally being the "eyes and ears" of the rest of the army.
    As opposed to an artillery screen, that works purely on battlefields. One can have his guns fire in "advance" of moving units of infantry or cavalry, one can have his artillery pre-bombard a specific area of the battlefield to clear it of eventual enemies before you deploy units to that area.
    Again, opposed to a light-infantry screen, that allows units capable of moving while still invisible to move ahead of your main armies (artillery screens of the first kind I described, is exelent at rooting out such attempts to sneak up on you), taking out enemy light infantry, or advancing counter movements.
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen

I would not have thought its something which would have much value at the tactical level depicted in TW battles, but was something that was useful in the earlier movement of forces prior to battle. Both to protect the vulnerable columns of troops moving towards contact and to try and hide the generals planned troops dispositions from the enemy by fending off enemy cavalry scouts and driving off small detachments of the enemy.

They are not actually "screening" anything in the sense you are thinking. They are usually not even visible by the infantry in many cases. Basically the area between the two armies would be being patrolled by cavalry units to find enemy skirmishers, other enemy cavalry, and to secure the roads ahead of the infantry for deployment. The side that controlled this area usually had an advantage, in that they knew where the enemy was better, could predict movements of the enemy better, and could also harass the enemy and slow them down.

Cavalry screens are not done on the actual battlefield usually. Many times they are miles ahead of the main body, they are more scouting parties than anything else.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

We have two things here.

The Light Infantry (skirmishers) would advance in front of the main body of troops. This would expose mose ambushes or other skirmishers along the path of advance.

The "Cavalry Screen" was a tactic use to protect the flanks of an advancing main body of troops. this was ment to keep other cavalry or infantry from interfearing with the advane of the main body. (Edit) The above post is also correct. The term "Cavalry screen" also refered to screening or scouting for and protecting the front and flanks of an army on the move.

Simple enough?
    Last edited by kevineduguay1; August 10, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Hmm, I can understand why it is difficult to understand because there are more meanings to "screening" .
    First like above was said, it`s used to perform a advancing recconnaisance party to scout ahead to search for ambushes, tactical hotspots etc.
    Second it`s used as Vanguard, rearguard or flank protection while moving.
    In the classical way of warfare, like the greek and roman warfare style, they used tall, light troops to stand in front of the real fighting troops to conceil the quantity and quality of those troops.
    They didn`t had any kinds of optics or other ways to look in the distance so the light troops "screened" the medium and heavy troops.
    Just moving low quality troops in front of high quality troops causes kicked up dirt, dustclouds etc thus putting a "screen" in front of the army to prevent the enemy of making good choices where to attack.

The explanation of the artillery screen is right too, but is mostly referred to as an rolling artillery barrage, trying to soften up the defenders and so lowering moral before the line troops kick in.
    This tactic was used massively in WWI and by the russians in WWII.

I hope you have some more ideas now!
    Je Maintiendrai!
    Proud to be an army veteran!

The French made good use of cavalry screens during the 1814 campaign in France,especially delaying the enemy use of the Marne and Seine bridges.
    French cavalry on the roads as they would have appeared then,although from a later photo

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jihada; January 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

I( think you meant 1914 rather than 1814, but an interesting photograph nevertheless.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by God of War, View Post
    What is a cavalry screen?
    http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/ca...html#_videttes

No I meant the 1814 France campaign. Petre (Napoleon at Bay)emphasises the use of cavalry screens to delay the Coalition armies and their use to block or delay comminication,supply etc across the various river bridges in eastern France.
    Obviously the photo is from a later period but the main roads network centred on Paris were paved (pavé) in 1814 and probably in a similar state as the road in the photo allowing rapid movement of cavalry units and some spectacular forced marches by the Old Guard for instance.
    Last edited by Jihada; January 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    No I meant the 1814 France campaign. Petre (Napoleon at Bay)emphasises the use of cavalry screens to delay the Coalition armies and their use to block or delay comminication,supply etc across the various river bridges in eastern France.

Obviously the photo is from a later period but the main roads network centred on Paris were paved (pavé) in 1814 and probably in a similar state as the road in the photo allowing rapid movement of cavalry units and some spectacular forced marches by the Old Guard for instance.
    Ah! ok. I was just confused by the photograph which obviously didn't relate to the date.