Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea: Trench system instead of forts?

Default Idea: Trench system instead of forts?

I know the modteam is probably shaking their heads right now but hey, this is WWI...trenches are very important right!

I posted this on a youtube video and decided I better post it on the forum as well...I know I've never posted here once and have no authority but I've been following this mod and am really excited...Here is my two cents on a good trench system in the game (if you already have one please explain it to me! )

more realistic trench systems: would it be possible to have trenches as a regional defense system that you pay for (like a fortress encampment where you can garrison troops. This trench will be the main line of defense for a province and stretches across the entire provincial/regional area. the attacker has to overcome these before they can siege the city... smaller trenches should also be built by foot armies like forts in past TW games...If the attacking player takes the main defensive trench but fails in the city siege, they may still have possession of the main trench and the defender must successfully re-take their primary defensive line to fully re-take the province.

in the campaign map there should be many draws against the AI. If you engage and the battle goes not as planned, the attackers can retreat back to their lines while the defender decides whether or not to counter-attack...both options would have big consequences. It would make the campaign province conquering very difficult, costly and realistic to the time.

Please fill me in if I've missed the announcement on this,
    thanks and keep up the great work! really looking forward to this one.

Title edited so its more clear for others. /Mitch
    Last edited by .Mitch.; July 28, 2010 at 09:54 AM.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Re: very sorry, more about TRENCHES...

Making forts into trench lines seems like an interesting idea (and is most probably plausible), but it might require mapping - and I am not sure how we would mod/map new fortress maps. I'd like the rest of the team to give their opinions too, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

You mean having trenches as those town and village buildings in a province, that can be garrisoned?
    Hmm, interesting to say the least.
    Rest in peace, Calvin.
    (28th April, 1975 - 28th October, 2009)

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, can't you just replace the walls with the trench models, without mapping?
    [Col] RO Citizen

on the discution page i think some one already thought of this and thorgos put it down but i think its worth another try.

Its impossible, the map is not moddable

I thought the fort was connected to a single battle model, as evidenced by the building_culture_variants. However, I could not find the model anywhere in the game, so Aanker's theory may well be right that it has to do with mapping. Even if it were a model, its placement onto the battlefield may require mapping as well. And if it does require mapping, I doubt its going to happen.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Once again another brilliant idea proposed, and if doable, would definitely simulate the front line of WWI. So lets say it does require mapping, any amazing mappers on TWC that would be willing to help us and are familiar with NTW?

And someone needs to right down all these ideas, maybe I will. I mean some of these are great!

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Would it be at all possible to have different stages of trench development? Say, in an early war battle, it would be not much more than a ditch and some rifle pits. Later on linked trenches with firing steps, and so on.
    "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
    -Last words of Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    Once again another brilliant idea proposed, and if doable, would definitely simulate the front line of WWI. So lets say it does require mapping, any amazing mappers on TWC that would be willing to help us and are familiar with NTW?

And someone needs to right down all these ideas, maybe I will. I mean some of these are great!
    Well I can tell you we're definitely not lacking in good ideas, but sadly a lot of these are either impossible in NTW or we don't have enough expertise atm to implement them. But we are taking them into consideration, and I am looking at the files often to see if there is any db file I missed that could be of help.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

thanks for the excellent responses!
    I forgot that Empire and Napoleon were nearly impossible to mod which is incredibly disappointing from CA...One of the BEST features of total war was the excellent engine and simple editing which allowed for some fantastic mods to really increase the value of the game...

I trust that this team will make the best trench system possible. Hopefully it can do justice and more to a WWI setting!

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

i total agree, i think hving big big trench networks instead of forts would be amazing, and for the levels, instead of normal fort and star fort you could have single trench line or double trench line, or maybe trench line and 'bunkers/artillery housings' (artillery housings would just be sloped trenches long enough for artillery to fit it, thoughts and ideas???) unfrotunatly i'm no mapper, and i don't know anyone who is, but i'll take a look just to see if its plausible...
    "If a pro is the opposite of a con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

Possibly units who remain standing still for one turn and earn the ability to fortify if attacked and build trenches on the battle screen? Real time 3D deformation of the map seems possible (considering 3-D craters are used).

Nevermind
    Last edited by Hakomar; July 27, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Rest in peace, Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ediblemittens View Post
    Real time 3D deformation of the map seems possible (considering 3-D craters are used).
    They aren't actually 3D, it's just an optical illusion from the angle you look at it. It's actually just 2D and flat to the ground
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    They aren't actually 3D, it's just an optical illusion from the angle you look at it. It's actually just 2D and flat to the ground
    That royally sucks.

Aye, you can tell that if you mod in a massive explosion, and walk something over it, they hover . Also, craters like to dissapear.
    Rest in peace, Calvin.

Default Re: Idea: Trench system instead of forts?

that would be awesome if forts were actually trench systems

Don't replace all the forts. I wants my Verduns.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Don't replace all the forts. I wants my Verduns.
    I say we should get rid of the forts if there's no better use. Quite honestly, they are a waste of a building slot and offer nothing but complications in this mod (and arguably in vanilla)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast