Thread: What if the Soviet Union still exists?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: What if the Soviet Union still exists?

No EU, does that sound great??
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Why would the EU not form? NATO would still be a force of great importance in the world but the EU might still form in some version or another. We also would likely not be in Afghanistan, the USSR would not abide by that. Iraq too, may never have happened.

I think, eventually, the two sides would have stopped staring down each other's gun barrels and started better diplomatic relations.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

^This.

There would likely have been no Iraq war, certainly no invasion of Afghanistan. Quite probably no 9/11 either. The Soviet Union would resemble a bigger and meaner version of China today. Gorbachev's plan for a looser Union would have gone through, along with the 500 day plan to transform the Soviet economy to a market based one like China's. With the change to a market economy, better relations with the West would have been only a matter of time.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Why would the EU not form? NATO would still be a force of great importance in the world but the EU might still form in some version or another. We also would likely not be in Afghanistan, the USSR would not abide by that. Iraq too, may never have happened.

I think, eventually, the two sides would have stopped staring down each other's gun barrels and started better diplomatic relations.
    I don't believe EU would form when half of its current members cannot join. It may, however, has two groups of European organizations exist, one head by NATO members and one head by Warsaw Pact members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Zhangir's Avatar Senator

I don't believe EU would form when half of its current members cannot join. It may, however, has two groups of European organizations exist, one head by NATO members and one head by Warsaw Pact members.
    EU started long before Soviet Union collapsed. It wasn't called EU, but it was around since the 1950s.

w would our world be different?
    Now How exactly it would survive?

Assuming the version of Jingle_Bombs, we would have a Market Economy like China, and a political structure just like the old Soviet Union, but with a bit less censorship (maybe a lot less, who knows?) and some more freedom of speech, assembly, pluralism, etc.

Well, if you ask me, We, in the former USSR, would be a lot better off than we are today.
    Let's face it, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, etc., etc. are all climbing back from a massive fall in the 1990s. If the system survived, there would be no fall, and we would be growing.
    That's just a very simplistic analysis, and I am speaking on general terms. Some things would have to be sacrificed, but on the whole the Former SU would live better, if you ask me.
    The Help of God, The Love of the People, The Strength of Denmark - Proud To See The Red Knight make this AAR Truly Epic!
    Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ
    Royaume de France

My avatar is not there because of my religion, but because it looks like the first and last letters of my name put together in my Language (I do know what it means)

if the soviets still exists

there's no 11 sept event

ben laden would be a good guy to the world not a terrorist
    and the conquerer of stan (central asia) empire

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangir View Post
    EU started long before Soviet Union collapsed. It wasn't called EU, but it was around since the 1950s.

Now How exactly it would survive?

Assuming the version of Jingle_Bombs, we would have a Market Economy like China, and a political structure just like the old Soviet Union, but with a bit less censorship (maybe a lot less, who knows?) and some more freedom of speech, assembly, pluralism, etc.

Well, if you ask me, We, in the former USSR, would be a lot better off than we are today.
    Let's face it, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, etc., etc. are all climbing back from a massive fall in the 1990s. If the system survived, there would be no fall, and we would be growing.
    That's just a very simplistic analysis, and I am speaking on general terms. Some things would have to be sacrificed, but on the whole the Former SU would live better, if you ask me.
    The interesting question is that, assuming the Soviet Union would achieve similar growth to China after its economic transition, would it have, by now, overtaken the United States as a global superpower? Considering how fast China has closed the gap between the US and itself since it's own transition, I believe it could be quite possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle_Bombs View Post
    The interesting question is that, assuming the Soviet Union would achieve similar growth to China after its economic transition, would it have, by now, overtaken the United States as a global superpower? Considering how fast China has closed the gap between the US and itself since it's own transition, I believe it could be quite possible.
    China, 1 billion humans.
    Russia, ca. 150 million humans.

Overcoming the US? Rather unlikely.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

9/11 wouldn't have happened, as Al Qaeda would've concentrated their efforts on the USSR instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So Ronald Reagan screwed us again?

Because it sounds like things would be better if USSR was still around, No Iraq,Afghan and more importantly no 9/11.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Zhangir's Avatar Senator

Well a very interesting question indeed!
    The Soviet Union has a much higher starting base than China, which gives it a sort of advantage, but yeah, the population is smaller, but there are more resources.
    I think if governed correctly, the Soviet Union could have matched the US as a global superpower today.
    Not sure about overtaking, because I am kind of wary of USSR's RnD.
    We used to use spies to get US/Europe's technologies, rather than invent our own (well we did invent our own, but those were based on Western blueprints).
    So if our R and D would be good by 2010 (using our ALternative history), then yeah, we would definately overtake the USA.

China, 1 billion humans.
    Russia, ca. 150 million humans.

Overcoming the US? Rather unlikely.
    Lol.
    Simply LOL.
    China is 1.3 Billion, firstly.
    Secondly, Russia may be 150 million today, but you make the most common and unforgivable mistake of equalling Russia to Soviet Union.
    By 1989 the population of the Soviet Union was just short of 300 million people AND growing!

The US is 300 million people today (or rather 310) which makes it on par with the Soviet Union.

It always pains me that people forget how the other 14 Republics of the Former USSR helped and contributed as much as Russia, and they never get mentioned.
    The Help of God, The Love of the People, The Strength of Denmark - Proud To See The Red Knight make this AAR Truly Epic!
    Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ
    Royaume de France

My avatar is not there because of my religion, but because it looks like the first and last letters of my name put together in my Language (I do know what it means)

Yeah, it irritates me when people call the Soviets Russians. Especially when they're talking about the second world war. In fact most of the Soviet leaders weren't even born in the RSFSR.

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

It's more convenient, and the Russians were considered superior to all the other ethnic groups in the Union, not to mention that they were by far the largest group.
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

^This.

There would likely have been no Iraq war, certainly no invasion of Afghanistan. Quite probably no 9/11 either. The Soviet Union would resemble a bigger and meaner version of China today. Gorbachev's plan for a looser Union would have gone through, along with the 500 day plan to transform the Soviet economy to a market based one like China's. With the change to a market economy, better relations with the West would have been only a matter of time.
    I disagree with you on this one. I can hardly think of a way to stop USA's invasion of Iraq just by Russia having another government (say, Gorbachev stays in his seat). USA doesn't really care about other countries' opinions (especially those, which don't support them openly), plus they are backed by the EU/NATO.

So, even if Gorbachev sent a diplomatic note to the US, I don't think they would pull out all their forces ASAP. Considering that Russia and the US started to build good diplomatic relationships during the last few years.

Also, it is not certain whether 9/11 could be prevented. Even if the Soviet Union controlled Afghanistan (which is unlikely, as in the 90's they pulled out all forces; not only because of the division of the USSR), there would likely be a way for the Talibans to continue their activity undercover and still resist the occupational forces (pretty much what happened after the US occupied Afghan).

The game would largely remain the same for a while I think. The Soviets and Americans would hardly be best pals by 2003. I mean, China and the US are hardly two friendly peas in a pod, and they don't nearly have as much bad blood between them. Even if the Soviet Union had tolerated the invasion of Iraq, which I believe it would not, It certainly wouldn't sit idly by as the United States occupies Afghanistan. Best case scenario, The Soviets would head back into Afghanistan alongside the Americans, which is a recipe for further political tension.

The game would largely remain the same for a while I think. The Soviets and Americans would hardly be best pals by 2003. I mean, China and the US are hardly two friendly peas in a pod, and they don't nearly have as much bad blood between them. Even if the Soviet Union had tolerated the invasion of Iraq, which I believe it would not, It certainly wouldn't sit idly by as the United States occupies Afghanistan. Best case scenario, The Soviets would head back into Afghanistan alongside the Americans, which is a recipe for further political tension.
    It makes sense, but I still doubt that the Soviets would stay in Afghanistan. They pulled their forces out in 1989, while USSR collapsed is 1991. Of course, the US would never invade Afghanistan if it was occupied by the USSR (that would spark a war), but if the Soviets pulled out their forces despite the fact they did not collapse (like in real history), I doubt that the US would ask the Soviets' opinion on invading Afghan.