Thread: The Trenches

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default The Trenches

With the new model converter and the new trench models will it be possible to edit the maps to have a big trench tunning through them? yes I know this is the thrid time ive brought this up, and Ive tried to do it but since i am completley inexperienced I failed miserably to even add a wall that you could take cover behind. If not will the new trenches be able to be deployed along the entire line of soldiers with them able to take cover behind them like the walls (as seems to be more realistic) and provide artillery cover. If this seems to much like rambling and is nable to be understood please tell me and Ill try to clarify

Default Re: The Trenches

Take a look here: Great War Models

You will see at the bottom of the OP, trench models by Temuzu! And, I believe that they are covered by the converter as well!

There is one foreseeable problem, and I don't know if this is even a reasonable concern: the trench models may still not extend far enough to cover a unit, and they probably need to be made wider so that we can fit a 10-20 man deep unit in them, which would minimize their impact.

As for maps, I really have no idea, as you must have learned from earlier
    Last edited by King Sama; July 23, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

If they are used like a garrisonable building, troops should all line up much tighter packed with each other, meaning that the space problem might not be quite as big.

As for putting them on the map, I'd much rather them to be allowed to be placed like earthworks before the battle by the player, rather than having them pre-set into maps. As for even being able to mod maps, I've heard that it is possible, but is insanely complicated and time-consuming. Especially given the amount in game.
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Content Emeritus

Yes i saw those trench models thats what my question was about, but thank you for letting me know they may not cover the wholse unit, mainly what I wanted to know. and yes I know how hard it is to mod the battle maps i tried to mod the maps to have a wall that can be taken cover behind about two days ago, still havent figured it out but if it can be made to have the building qualities with men lining up much closer together (like in reality) that would be awesome thank you both

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

in realistic WWI battles you wouldnt have 20 men abreast in a trench exept right before a charge, you would have many long and thin trecnhes, shall we say then that hopefully a 3-5 man abreast trench would be realistic, and then the unit would be 100 men wide (or 60 men if its 5 abreast) wich i beleive would make the battles alot more realistic, as you would be able to put a single unit to much greater effect (in terms of defending your artillery, wich i do!) it would also fit realisticly into the fat that in order to storm an 'entrenched' postition you need a 5-1 ratio, meaning you would use less troops to (again) greater effect if you were defending, as you could use 5 units to cover the length of the map and efficeintly defend a position and the enemy would have to use double that to breach your lines (even more if you like mele). if your confused, good, so am i, i think what i was originally trying to say was "long but thin trench, means less units defending larger area = greater number of units attacking, = realistic battles", sort of... if you understand what i mean and you agree, then your insane!
    "If a pro is the opposite of a con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

Content Emeritus

no you wouldent have 20 mean abreast, but more realistic than 400 men standing in a field with little or no cover at all from artillery, but i somewhat understand what you said, so I must be somewhat insane, maybe if we can ever find someone able to make maps, then they can make uber big maps with realistic trenches so that its 5 men abreast

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

couldnt you just use the trench as a model, like the barricades units create at the start of a battle, with a formation set with a maximum of 3 men abreast (fitting inside the barricade) that spanning the full lenght of the unit (unlike the current baricade), that otherwise acts just like the ramp thingys do but that look alot cooler

Well if trenches are redone then they would be kept as deployable items. The other ideas, even if they did work, would only be possible for custom battles.

So with that said, for the trenches, either the unit would have to be compressed within a trench, or (preferable), it would be possible to edit the unit formation (as in length x width) so the units are about 135 x 3 people by default. I think this is what Mayan Man was getting at, but I wouldn't make this a maximum, just while in the trenches. That way, they can always be changed in game to a better formation. I don't know if this is possible however.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

yes, that is (almost) exactly what i was trying to say, your obviously insane

Quote Originally Posted by Mayan-Man View Post
    yes, that is (almost) exactly what i was trying to say, your obviously insane

Thats what I thought but I wasn't entirly sure . My bad.

Temuzu's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Take a look here: Great War Models

You will see at the bottom of the OP, trench models by Temuzu! And, I believe that they are covered by the converter as well!

There is one foreseeable problem, and I don't know if this is even a reasonable concern: the trench models may still not extend far enough to cover a unit, and they probably need to be made wider so that we can fit a 10-20 man deep unit in them, which would minimize their impact.

As for maps, I really have no idea, as you must have learned from earlier
    Indeed, the size is the one thing Im not sure about, but after testing it, it should be easy to fix. OR, if someone gives me an unit model for comparison, I could make the trench wide and long enough for one unit three men deep.