Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Disconnect Workaround

Icon3 Steam Disconnect Workaround

Hi all,
    lately I have been getting disconnects from Steam during games on a regular basis; i.e., I start the game, and during battle, I get a message I got disconnected, and my Steam status is offline.
    If you have the same issue, I think I found a workaround yesterday.

My theory is that Steam (probably due to a recent Steam patch) shuts down the connection to its server if there is no traffic going through it for a while.
    Because NTW uses its own connection, so it doesn't cause Steam network traffic by itself, this disconnect will happen after some time.
    However, the Steam Friend List is updated regularly, causing network traffic; so yesterday I tried to keep it open in the background (shift-tab back to game without closing it).

It worked, I did not get any Steam disconnects anymore.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Steam Disconnect Workaround

that might work, the friends list tends to refresh every time steam check its connection to the servers.i usually have the friends box open during most steam games anyway, i rarely ever disconnect anyway
    Last edited by Y@$!N; July 23, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Hi all,
    lately I have been getting disconnects from Steam during games on a regular basis; i.e., I start the game, and during battle, I get a message I got disconnected, and my Steam status is offline.
    If you have the same issue, I think I found a workaround yesterday.

My theory is that Steam (probably due to a recent Steam patch) shuts down the connection to its server if there is no traffic going through it for a while.
    Because NTW uses its own connection, so it doesn't cause Steam network traffic by itself, this disconnect will happen after some time.
    However, the Steam Friend List is updated regularly, causing network traffic; so yesterday I tried to keep it open in the background (shift-tab back to game without closing it).

It worked, I did not get any Steam disconnects anymore.
    Interesting theory, but I'm not sure if this is the case.

I usually have my friends list open in the background, as well. Not only that, but since NTW's ingame chat window is so crappy, I usually use the Steam client's chat feature while playing. All this open activity and refreshment haven't seemed to help me in the last few days. I've had quite a few disconnects, both in game, as well as sudden "No Connection" messages popping up on the Profile page.

I thought always this is just a normal steam issue. They simply cut the connection from time to time, sometimes its last longer and they work on their servers and sometimes its just a few seconds or half a minute. I guess, i never had a whole day long without steam disconnect everyone. I maybe seems it depends on us, because we dont get disconnected at the same time, but i guess this has to do with our locations... for me this steam badness. I wouldnt mind about this.

If its too bad, and one have really spite of this for quite a while, then i would suggest a deinstall of N:TW with deleting the folder of N:TW in steamapps plus registry cleaning. I dont know how it fits together, but it fits somehow together-at least for chatwindow in the pre battle lobby and to some kinds of connection issues.

Dont say no, just try it and give feedback. If it dont work, well, others dont need to try, if it works, well, then it works... communities can be a fine thing.
    If you're dealing with the devil, it's not the devil who changes, but rather the devil change you - for sanity is like a spider, sitting in a net woven from the finest of strings, unaware of the hand coming closer, being grabbed and stuffed into a mouth.
    Check this: Turumba's Twitch and Youtube channel!

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

although i never disconnected for the past month, so the last couple days have been odd....either that or im a bit paranoid
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

My home DSL connection, as most DSL connections, has to re-set the link to the provider once daily to refresh the lease on the IP address or something. It's a short interruption, that you would not even notice unless playing NTW.

I used to get disconnects when that happened. My workaround.... Since those reconnections happen every 24 hours after initial connection, I manually reset my DSL router one day around 11 AM. Since I never play around 11 AM, now I don't care about DSL router's regular resets of the link around that time.

Sorry Daniu, the friends list has nothing to do with it. I have allways kept it open, In fact I have evcen had crashes whilest looking at it and chatting to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsonov View Post
    My home DSL connection, as most DSL connections, has to re-set the link to the provider once daily to refresh the lease on the IP address or something. It's a short interruption, that you would not even notice unless playing NTW.
    Yes, if you lose your internet connection, however briefly, you'll also get disconnected from Steam of course; it's not what I was talking about though, my internet was fine.
    Most routers allow to configure the reset time btw, look for that in your administration tool; I set mine to like 4 in the morning.

The "theory" isn't completely unsupported by evidence either: I did see in the Windows Resource Manager that the Steam connection was gone altogether after some time and was reestablished when the friends list was opened.
    Sorry to hear it didn't work for everybody, but for me, it went from 3 games in a row in which I was disconnected (so I stopped playing altogether that day) to 5 finished games in one session (after which I stopped playing too).
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

people can disconnect for many different reasons, i think daniu is just talking about more recently, where steam disconnects have been more frequent..
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

If I coulf get five games in a row without a disconnection I would die from happiness. Untill I face all teh rage quiters and campers and realize that these disconnects are really doing me a favor.

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

i got a disconnect yesterday.it wouldnt reconnect, so i got the beta update.friends window looks very nice now.im not sure if the beta update has solved the more frequent disconnects though
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Y@$!N View Post
    i got a disconnect yesterday.
    A second later Cygon got the same disconnect and about five or ten seconds later i got disconnect too. I bet its a steam action and our locations decides over the point of time. Maybe a kind of reset with a intended refresh effect. It works!
    If you're dealing with the devil, it's not the devil who changes, but rather the devil change you - for sanity is like a spider, sitting in a net woven from the finest of strings, unaware of the hand coming closer, being grabbed and stuffed into a mouth.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

wait?

are you guys saying that if steam disconnects you cant play NTW at all????

...or just the MP aspect....?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔BayonetFodder♔ View Post
    wait?

are you guys saying that if steam disconnects you cant play NTW at all????

...or just the MP aspect....?
    Just MP. Its the NTW MP section, mate.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

phew!!

Just MP. Its the NTW MP section, mate.
    no got that part, i know sometimes if there is something urgent to post peeps normally just dang it anywhere.....

Hi!I have major is issues with disconnect too. The battle has only to be long enough and i get dropped from the game.

Most of the time i get the message " You have left the game" after a huge lag (game is coming to standstill)!!!! No i have not left the game damn it

or " You lost connection to steam". Its getting to the point were i dont want to play online anymore. I want to get better at this game! But how can i do that when i get dropped from a match nearly every time. Does anybody know if this will be fixed in the future? Thank you

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

probably some instability through a steam patch.they updated the friends stuff too now, so i dunno if that fixed it?
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

Hm Seems the last Steam beta fixed my Problem. So far 3 long games without disconnect.

I played an online match as a Youtube request and I just happened to face an opponent that knew me, so we played and eventually I Lost Connection and my opponent thinks I pulled the plug even though I was winning. You can tell I was winning by looking at the mini map and my unit cards because I did a live recording.

I tried what Daniu said about leaving the friends list open and I haven't Lost Connection anymore. So his advice is another step to more gaming.

so....I Daniu
    Last edited by Point_Man; July 30, 2010 at 12:47 AM.
    This signature is clickable

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

was this before the latest steam update?i think that sorted the issue anyway,though not sure...
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast