Thread: Gothic Foot Knights

Default Gothic Foot Knights

When are they recruitable?
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

Default Re: Gothic Foot Knights

Around 1470-something.

They still didn't appear...
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

OK sorry you are right. I checked and in fact they are not available until the 'Pike and Shot' event, around 1520-1530. Their 2H swords will be particularly effective here.

But never fear, the unit they replace, Imperial Foot Knights, can in fact upgrade to Gothic armor in this mod (there is a model for this) and is one of the most lethal late-era foot units in the game (perhaps the most lethal, versus armored opponents anyway). Its armor upgrade path is Partial Plate->Full Plate->Improved Metallurgy->Gothic Plate, as well as a shield
    Last edited by Point Blank; July 24, 2010 at 05:17 AM.

Point Blank
    What is name of "Improved Metallurgy" in descr_event.txt???

IMPROVED_METALLURGY, at about date 1400

But the actual date varies between factions, eg the Italian States were noted for their superb metallurgy, and possession of such regions will enable earlier access to this technology.

ADVANCED_METALLURGY occurs later.

So i need some help... I hasnt this event in descr_event.txt ... But i have RC1.5/RR1 PDFs in SS data folder... What this mean? (RC\RR is on ???)

So, does it make sense that gothic knights get pwned by rittenbruder? I thought rittenbruder were much older than gothic knights =/

Do Gothic Knights have a shield? Ritterbruder do and that will make a difference. The fact that a unit is available earlier doesn't necessarily mean it's worse. Ritterbruder are Exceptional and they frighten enemy infantry. If you're talking about the mounted versions, then the Ritterbruder scare mounted enemies too.

"So i need some help... I hasnt this event in descr_event.txt ... But i have RC1.5/RR1 PDFs in SS data folder... What this mean? (RC\RR is on ???) "

You don't have the latest version. Get it here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=300716. Then get the latest patch from the thread called "Latest Beta".

Edit2: It's called "Final Beta".

I haven't encountered Gothic Knights in SS yet, so I have no clue about how good they are, and I don't want to look at their stats in the EDU so I don't spoil the surprise for when I finally play as the HRE. But a stat comparison is where you should start, followed by a quality comparison. The higher the quality of the unit, the faster it will attack and the...uh...other stuff...in brief, the better it will perform in combat. Check the terrain bonuses too; those matter.
    Last edited by k/t; July 24, 2010 at 08:00 PM.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Do Gothic Knights have a shield? Ritterbruder do and that will make a difference. The fact that a unit is available earlier doesn't necessarily mean it's worse. Ritterbruder are Exceptional and they frighten enemy infantry. If you're talking about the mounted versions, then the Ritterbruder scare mounted enemies too.
    The cavalry unit does, but the Foot Knight version uses a Zweihander.

Foot soldiers v foot soldiers, Rittenbruder annihilated them Gothic knights. Seemed a little wrong to me =/