Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | Models

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Great War | Models

Quote Originally Posted by Temuzu View Post
    I DO believe I promised Thoragos to make a barbed wire model, just didnt figure out how to make it I can give it a shot if the new leaders want to.
    Please do!

... You won't believe this... But Im on Milkshape right now trying my hand at an artilery shell, what with us being able to implement them..

But I have NEVER modelled before ever.. So Iv made an artilery shell, but have no clue where to go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayan-Man View Post
    oh dear god, are you serious... you cant climb 'barbed wire' you can only cut it, otherwise you shred your hands and colapse ontop of it, and then you start bleeding out. besides, if its the russian patriotic unit the sheer weight of men (as in any units as they are all over 300 men strong) would force the front row onto the barbes, then the next row, then the next...
    if you can making a cutting animation, that would be great, but otherwise, we need something to slow down the units, and the climbing animation was my first thought.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    if you can making a cutting animation, that would be great, but otherwise, we need something to slow down the units, and the climbing animation was my first thought.
    Couldn't you just make it so that units have to walk around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Couldn't you just make it so that units have to walk around it?
    That would be both unrealistic and cause them to become way OP, enabling you to create choke points across large areas of the map unfortunately
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Just want to pop in and say the models look GREAT, keep up the good work

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Yes good stuff coming along here, we really are on the brink of becoming the most amazing mod the world has ever seen with some of these new models and ideas, imho

No but seriously we are

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    That would be both unrealistic and cause them to become way OP, enabling you to create choke points across large areas of the map unfortunately
    Understandable, yet I believe that simply jumping over barbed wire is much more unrealistic?

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

agreed, wheras the 'dying' animation seems realistic, as with (if your in a standard TGW unit) 250 odd men pushing you into 'BARBED WARIE' you don't have time to cut through it, and your not likley to survive long out in the open under fire with nowhere to go, so i'd asume dying would be realistic. Also i don't know about you but i doubt i would be able to doo a full 'mount' with said amount of people pushing me forwards, add razor sharp spikes into the mix and tangled wires and i doubted anyone would. So, as you said it may not be realistic on a 1-1 ratio but its not a 1-1 ratio so we work with what we have, and we have is between a 300-1 ratio and a 1000-1 ratio and in that case DYING IS REALISTIC! (and yes writing in capitols does make the voice inside my head shout, i should probably go to a phsyciatrist about that... )
    "If a pro is the opposite of a con, then what is the opposite of progress?"

Understandable, yet I believe that simply jumping over barbed wire is much more unrealistic?
    agreed, wheras the 'dying' animation seems realistic, as with (if your in a standard TGW unit) 250 odd men pushing you into 'BARBED WARIE' you don't have time to cut through it, and your not likley to survive long out in the open under fire with nowhere to go, so i'd asume dying would be realistic. Also i don't know about you but i doubt i would be able to doo a full 'mount' with said amount of people pushing me forwards, add razor sharp spikes into the mix and tangled wires and i doubted anyone would. So, as you said it may not be realistic on a 1-1 ratio but its not a 1-1 ratio so we work with what we have, and we have is between a 300-1 ratio and a 1000-1 ratio and in that case DYING IS REALISTIC! (and yes writing in capitols does make the voice inside my head shout, i should probably go to a phsyciatrist about that... )
    You do have fair points actually, the only problem I would have in terms of actually making all your troops die, is that in a chaotic battle it would lead to babysitting certain units around barbed-wire as the pathfinding wouldn't make them simply walk around it en-route. This problem would drive me crazy So perhaps, on balance, it may actually be best to make them impassable, but we would need to find a way of setting a cap on how much you can actually lay, as vast areas of the map could potentially become impassable, leading to boring battles where only artillery can do damage.
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

but that would be realistic no? bloody choke ponts set up where you need a 3-1 ratio in order to seize the position, as for taking an entrenched position that was the recomended ratio in WW1 and 2. in cases like that you could smoke the enemy and then charge infantry into mele, leading to a total blood bath and possible phyric victory, just as would be the case in WW1 (and world war 2, battle of the somme anyone...?) also, perhaps when they are implemented tanks could be used as a way to remove barbed wire, simply crushing them 'under tread' as it were
    p.s a quote to back me up: "A report from a senior British officer in the field, General Aylmer Hunter-Weston of the VIII Corps, added to the myth that the wire could be cut by bombardment when he wrote that "the troops could walk in". However, this directly contradicted a junior officer that was serving under him, who saw that the wire had not been removed effectively, that he "could see it standing strong and well." Any wire that would remain on the front line in an offensive would mean certain death for attacking infantry."
    Last edited by Mayan-Man; July 27, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

maybe a sabatour unit that could have very good hiding abilities that can destroy the wire? lol

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Look guys it's really coming down to the wire in what the team will decide on this topic..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

but that would be realistic no? bloody choke ponts set up where you need a 3-1 ratio in order to seize the position
    No, what I'm saying is that, if there is no cap, in theory you could deploy a whole line of barbed wire ahead of your infantry, making it literally impossible for infantry to reach them.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mitch, Your humble servant♔ View Post
    Look guys it's really coming down to the wire in what the team will decide on this topic..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Oh dear...Kills mitch
    My specs:

Mayan-Man's Avatar Miles

hmm, but, as always, i think that would be realistic. germany literally did cover the entire feild in barbed wire. perhaps only alloweing this to be construceted after a unit has been entrenched in 1 position for a set amount of time, no? and then perhaps creating multiple units capable of destroying barbed wire (as i have said before, tank, maybe flamers as they need to be up close anyway, smgs as they are assault infantry, and snipers as they can 'infiltrate', but i think what would be even better is if we could set it up so say, only the first 40 men died, then the remainder could 'scramble' over the bodies?)

hmm, but, as always, i think that would be realistic. germany literally did cover the entire feild in barbed wire. perhaps only alloweing this to be construceted after a unit has been entrenched in 1 position for a set amount of time, no? and then perhaps creating multiple units capable of destroying barbed wire (as i have said before, tank, maybe flamers as they need to be up close anyway, smgs as they are assault infantry, and snipers as they can 'infiltrate', but i think what would be even better is if we could set it up so say, only the first 40 men died, then the remainder could 'scramble' over the bodies?)
    Yes, apart from the fact that they would be completely impassable to infantry, meaning that battles would be ridiculous in the format of TW.

I'll stick with my thoughts and say that, in a compromise solution in which they are not able to simply slow down troops, they should be impassable to troops, but with only a limited amount being able to be made.

If not, simply make them fatal to cavalry (as was arguably one of the main effects of them) and make infantry able to climb over them (don't know if it's possible, but I wonder if sama could slow down the climbing animation) - therefore basically a retextured wooden fence thing.
    My specs:

I just have a small question about the explosions. When will they be changed? (Their model, I mean) It would be more WW1-ish to have a big explosion of dirt rather than an explosion of flame and weird white lines coming out of the explosion.

I just have a small question about the explosions. When will they be changed? (Their model, I mean) It would be more WW1-ish to have a big explosion of dirt rather than an explosion of flame and weird white lines coming out of the explosion.
    That's already been changed
    Instead of a fireball, there is brown coloured dirt thrown up and those white line things haven't been in since update 3. something I believe...
    My specs:

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    That's already been changed
    Instead of a fireball, there is brown coloured dirt thrown up and those white line things haven't been in since update 3. something I believe...
    Oh...I'll go test it to make sure my games not bugged or something.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Oh...I'll go test it to make sure my games not bugged or something.
    Well Josst and Nyxos did work on the explosions.. and then I added blood.

So there was a wholeeee load of .xml editting on our file.. and I haven't got the foggiest as to whos explosions where included.

Nyxos's where muddy, Jossts where smokey.

I'll test this in detail for the next update.

Alright guys, I just tested it, there is dirt being kicked up (although I would prefer if there was dirt being kicked up and falling back down, instead of a dirty gas or something), however I am still getting white lines.