15 45.45%
  • Lelianna

8 24.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character Showdown: Group Eight

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Character Showdown: Group Eight

The final group battle, who will be the last two to move on to the final 16?

Darth Malak:

Once known as Alek, the human who became Darth Malak started out as a refugee to the Galactic Republic after his homeworld of Quelii was attacked by Mandalorians. Trained by the Jedi Order, Alek became close friends with another human Jedi Knight named Revan and the two would soon disobey the Council by helping the Republic in the Mandalorian Wars.

After the battle of Malachor V, Revan and Malak pursued the remaining Mandalorians into the Unknown Regions and returned as allies of the Sith - declaring war on the Jedi and launching the Civil War. At some point during the conflict Malak lost his lower jaw from a lightsaber strike delivered by Revan and replaced it with the metallic prosthetic we know all too well.

During a battle with the Jedi, Malak betrayed his master, firing on Revan's vessel and left him for dead - assuming the role of the master. Darth Malak is the main antagonist of Knights of the Old Republic and is finally confronted at the end of the game.

Sir Roderick:

While not a team member, or a main character for that matter, Sir Roderick (or fully known as Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard) is still one of the more interesting characters the player comes across in their travels.

Sir Roderick plays the only "Western" character who has come from the Jade Empire equivalent of England to "educate" the Far Eastern "barbarians". Many people have not taken to kindly to him and his approach to exploration but somehow he has managed to stay alive as long as he has.

In the game, the player finds him in the Scholar's Garden and can get into a debate and duel with him. If the player wins Sir Roderick is humbled and offers an additional skill for the player to learn.

Garrus Vakarian:

In Mass Effect Garrus is nothing more than a C-Sex Officer on the Citadel that Shepard encounters early on in the game. When he finds out that Shepard is investigating into the rogue Spectre Saren, Garrus willingly disobeys his superiors and leaves the Citadel with Shepard and assists in the confrontation with the Geth and Sovereign.

After the Commander is assumed to be dead in Mass Effect 2, Garrus goes underground and takes the nickname Archangel. Operating on the crime infested Omega, Garrus forms a squad of highly lethal like-minded allies who harass, assassinate, and disrupt all illegal activites on the station much to the extreme dislike of such groups as the Blood Pack, Blue Suns, and Eclipse mercenaries and also the crime-lord Aria T'Loak.

Eventually, the three mercenary bands join forces in an attempt to kill a trapped Archangel but Shepard soon comes to his aid and helps him escape. From there, Garrus rejoins the Commander as he sets out to fight the Collector's and Reapers.

Leliana:

Leliana was once a bard from the land of Orlais whose past has been recently explored in the new Dragon Age: Origins DLC "Leliana's Song". However, the player first finds her as a sister of the Chantry in Lothering after the Battle of Ostagar.

Technically, Leliana is a potential companion but I can't imagine too many people turned her offer of assistance down. She serves as a good contrast to the cynical Morrigan because of her polite and innocent personality and good nature. Lelianna is also the second female romance option for male players.
    Last edited by VOP2288; July 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Character Showdown: Group Eight

2. Garrus

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    In Mass Effect Garrus is nothing more than a C-Sex Officer on the Citadel that Shepard encounters early on in the game..
    I knew you had a sense of humor there somewhere
    No.

2) Malak

You know it's a shame you didn't include Baldurs Gate characters though I realize the list was long enough as it is.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Second vote goes to Malak...one more thing...Leliana innocent? She is anything but innocent....

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

2. Leliana

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Del Valle's Avatar Senator

2) Garrus

Civitate

I knew you had a sense of humor there somewhere
    Ha! Wow, didn't even realize that one, I'm gonna leave that in there...

She is anything but innocent....
    May be, but she certainly acts the part very well.

I guess my second vote will go to Garrus
    Last edited by VOP2288; July 20, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Anyone who doesn't vote Leliana will by consensus be exiled from TWC and/or quartered.

Just sayin'...

Comes Domesticorum

There is no other option than Garrus in the poll or your post. I think you did something wrong, VOP?

Sun Devil's Avatar Campidoctor

2) Garrus

Formerly Vuvuzela

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    There is no other option than Garrus in the poll or your post. I think you did something wrong, VOP?
    Obviously not, it was fine when I posted it, fine when I voted in it, and fine when other people voted.

2. Leliana

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Obviously not, it was fine when I posted it, fine when I voted in it, and fine when other people voted.
    I still only see Garrus as the only possible option though?

Clearly VOP's mistake was that anyone could compete with Garrus, should have just advanced him already.

yeah Garrus automatically to the semi-finals at least!
    2) Darth Malak

Not that I didn't like Lelianna, but I mean come on. Garrus and Malak?

Sir Roderick was just silly and pompous.
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Civitate

Oh....

I see....clever....sorry I thought you meant there was literally something wrong with the poll haha

Clearly VOP's mistake was that anyone could compete with Garrus, should have just advanced him already.
    You never know. There were a good number of characters who made it through into the 32 with flying colors but didn't perform so well in the group rounds: Alistair, Dog, Canderous, Tali, Grunt, and Loghain all had a good number of votes and support at the start but then didn't make it through. Obviously, even though he made it originally, Roderick can be counted out of this but Lelianna and Malak have a good bit of support so who knows, we'll see for sure when the poll closes.

Alister was co close .

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

I've noticed something ... shouldn't we be comparing characters with similar traits? I mean, is it just me or have we been comparing characters that are not alike in any (or very few) ways? Wouldn't it make more sense to do that? Considering that if they have similar traits, then it would make the choices that much harder (and more fun)?
    Last edited by The Last Spartan; July 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Spartan View Post
    I've noticed something ... shouldn't we be comparing characters with similar traits? I mean, is it just me or have we been comparing characters that are not alike in any (or very few) ways? Wouldn't it make more sense to do that? Considering that if they have similar traits, then it would make the choices that much harder (and more fun)?
    Eh, I don't think so...Bioware has a lot of characters that share a similar archetype but for the most part remain fairly different from one another in quite a few aspects.

So, while it may seem nice to square off Kreia, Duncan, and Master Li to see who is the better "old wise man/woman" I think we can agree that those three characters are just as similar as if you were to compare them with Sten, Malak, and Dawn Star. In others words, their only tie they share is that archetype.

Plus, squaring off certain beloved characters from different games and archetypes can have some interesting results, which will be magnified during the match ups for the final 16.

Lastly, this my creation I can do whatever I want...j/k

But seriously the cast of characters that take part in this thing have all been chosen by TWC members. Sure, I organized the groups but I found it far more interesting to set them up with potentially hard choices the best I could, this worked for some (the stalemate between Alistair and Joker and the Tali/Legion/Duncan/Canderous group that led to the expected favorite's early loss) but others I had no choice but to set up with clear victors lest something unexpected happen.

I guess, overall, what I'm trying to say is this showdown is not about who was the better badass character, the better romantic interest, or the better villian but rather who is the best or most liked character of all

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

2) Sir Roderick

just not to give any support to those two...you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast